TSA Air Travel Alert!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, Dec 31, 2007.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

New TSA rule

Carry spares in individual plastic bags and in carry-on only. NONE in checked bags!

Gee.. THANKS, Sony!

2. DCDave

DCDave Member

RE: Li-ION Battery Alert!

Thank God the government is doing something about this problem! I'm tired of opening the newspaper and reading about the daily battery fires on airplanes. It had gotten to the point that I was afraid to fly anymore without bring my own portable fire extinguisher just in case!

3. DCDave

DCDave Member

Here is another article about the DOT's policy of making air travel as inconvenient as possible in ways that don't actually help make us safer:

LINK
    Pettyfog, even though this is from the NY Times, it's safe to read. :)

4. pettyfog

Note how they arrived at the decision.. nothing to do with individual passengers, but with freight shipments... nonetheless it's reasonable, but only because of Sony's experience/negligence.

I really diss Sony because I NEVER, other than a camcorder, had a Sony product that didnt have problems handling heat, or failure of CD mechanism, or head tracking.

And we USED to buy ALL Sony A-V.

5. DCDave

DCDave Member

Re: RE: Li-ION Battery Alert!

That is so true. Sony used to be the gold standard, but I think that was because there weren't many companies making that kind of stuff in the old days (like the 70s and early 80s). Once they had competition, we realized this kind of stuff did not have to break.

6. pettyfog

RE: Re: RE: Li-ION Battery Alert!

Geez, DAve, I read NYT on-line all the time. Subscribed earliest on... sometimes the only link impression you can make on pointy-heads is if it's in the Bird cage liner.

Doesnt do any good if I quote Rush, does it. But answer me this... EVER SEEN an efficient Guvmint agency?

I mean when you go to re-up your vehicle registration, isnt the best place to go an agent, rather than the registrar office?

7. DCDave

DCDave Member

RE: Re: RE: Li-ION Battery Alert!

Actually, I think we're pretty efficient at the Census Bureau, my place of employment for 20+ years. When we moved to presenting our data on the Web for free in the mid '90s instead of big books, lots of people who were not computer-literate complained. But, I think we were a bit ahead of the curve on that one. I know we put a lot of effort trying to figure out the best way to make our data available on the Web.

I will certainly agree that sometimes the most inefficient organizations I have to deal with are government agencies. It seems that some of them (see above post) feel that they have to do something to justify their existence, even if it doesn't really lead to a justifiable benefit.

8. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Fog and Dave. Thanks for this thread and the links. My blood pressure has gotten a little low lately and I needed that! :banana:

Seriously, I don't care about the long lines and I've spent too long in the military to wonder about the logic of "if toothpaste confiscated at the airport is so life threatening, why doesn't the bomb squad take it into the parking lot and explode it." Some of the things I routinely run into when flying DO make me shake my head, however: Since my knee-replacement surgery I know that I'm going to set off the metal detectors and have a short-term close personal relationship with a stranger. Having said that, even though I know I'm going to have to be personally checked, I STILL have to remove my shoes prior to setting off the alarm. This makes no sense now that I'm as agile as a young Fred Astaire. :wink: It made even less sense a few months after the surgery when I was hobbling gingerly to a nearby chair with shoes, briefcase, and laptop precariously held in arms that should have been free to aid in balancing me. But I digress.

What does concern me is that the money the government is spending on this useless bit of harassment is NOT being spent on, oh let's say, increasing security at our sea ports and power stations, or buying, installing, and using equipment designed to scan cargo carried on aircraft. And what also concerns me is that our policy is obviously biased in favor of those things which help the least but are most visible as opposed to those things most needful but less visible. Why is that? Because quiet, effective, behind-the-scenes solutions to real problems don't SCARE THE CRAP OUT OF VOTERS, and this has been the real purpose of DHS from Day 1 of its existence, and it permeates to everything it touches.

By the way, 'fog, I can name several "agencies" of the Executive Branch which are very effective, well-run, and successful in the execution of their duties. I'll start with the US Marine Corps. :big grin:

Anyway, thanks again guys.

9. pettyfog

Marines? Yep...Like this one!

Sorry.. I know you mean to yank my chain, but...
    ;)

And on the TSA rant.. Don must read the bearded lady, too

Anyway, though, my post wasnt to provide cause for rants.. simply to advise.

Lithium batteries are expensive.

10. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

YES, exactly like that one. I spent 28 years in or attached to the US military. You don't really believe that Marco Martinez's story is the first of its kind, do you?

11. pettyfog

no.. of course not.. but tichy, tichy!
    ;)

added: I changed the first NYT link cuz'n I hate sideways scrolling

12. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

Security at US Airports is still a joke compared to what they put you through at Heathrow or Frankfurt.

13. Smokin'

Smokin' Administrator

I get my bags checked by a security guy everytime through Heathrow.... my last time to Europa I went to Amsterdamn... where there was hardly and security at all. Should have filled my pockets ;)