Potential MLS Lock-Out

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by andypalmer, Jan 7, 2010.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

RE: Players to Strike Monday

Sorry Andy.. that's essentially unlimited free agency. Never happen.
    Tie that into Szetela v DC and tell me how it works out.
    Agree with waiving club having to pay salary for some period of time, but if that club has no rights to player, too big a hit.. cap or no cap.

2. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

Easy solution: don't waive the player.

Seriously, at most, you get compensation if he signs for another team while still under contract (i.e., getting paid), but if its passed the time when he's still getting paid, you get nothing. That so common sense, I'm amazed its still being discussed.

"Oh, we know we're not paying you right now, but you can't sign for that other team unless they give us something."

3. pettyfog

sigh... that's what I addressed in my post above. The waived player COULD IMMEDIATELY move to any other MLS team but original held rights for a reasonable period of time.
    LIKE ON A LOAN

If the guy catches on to another team and plays well, his assuming team better get off the dime or they will lose him AND compensation for him, but it would not restrict any player's career.

4. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

Problem with your solution, 'fog is that the new team (and the player) are tied to the existing contract. If he got signed by too much and is willing to make less to play, there's no opportunity. i.e., his salary would count against cap with no ability to modify it.

5. pettyfog

MLS Deal Near

NYT Blog: M.L.S. and Players Near a New Deal

Early moments: There's a conference call scheduled for later today but it appears common sense has prevailed.
    - - - - - - -- - - - -
    Now's a good time to reflect on what having a 'First Division' league means to us, and even to Expat Brit Footy fans

I met almost the entire Arsenal squad in 1989

- - -- - - - - - -
    And interesting that it took a 'Grown Man' turn. The MLSPA is a 'real union'. The talking points werent exactly true.. but hey that's 'just bidness'.

The Hartmann/ Sochaux issues were more or less moot at the end.. and MLS Owners DO try to take care of their players.
    Sorry, Freddie ....

6. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

RE: MLS Deal Near

What the "Sorry, Freddie..." article doesn't cover is the REAL rub... i.e., what happens to a player who is cut/waived but still has an active contract; the article only mentions the process if a contract EXPIRES. If a contract is terminated by the team, they retain the rights to the player FOR THE DURATION OF THE CONTRACT even though the player is NOT BEING PAID.

So yeah, Freddie's analogy is pretty darn close.

7. pettyfog

Player rights addressed, sort of:
    More...

And Columbus PROBABLY is close.. would def have been if not for the absolutely sucky mid '00's

8. IanHux

IanHux New Member

Thank God! A deal has been done, thats really all I cared about. As long as some progress was made to give the players a bit more freedom, which seems to have improved marginally.

9. pettyfog

Sum fun: now the deal's done

Crisis Averted!
    But to be fair, in the same column:
    According to one fan who emailed the guy for a previous 'snark'.. all in fun.
    - - - - -- - - - -- -
    Donovan posits, we 'all one big fambly, again':
    Donovan: MLS agreement came together quickly

-read it all. There's much more