Poland v. USMNT

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by HatterDon, Mar 19, 2008.

1. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Not good for Poland right now. Down 2-0. Nice to see Bocanegra on the scoresheet at least. Two goals from two defenders for the US.

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

First half comments:

1. Ya do the Bocanegra and ya turn yerself around, and THAT's what it's all about.

2. GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOCHHHHHHHH!

3. Are we playing Poland or the Teamster's Union? These guys all look like dudes who could come out of a tough neighborhood with all their teeth.

4. Anyone else waiting for the USA to take off their warmups so we can see their REAL unis?

3. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

heh... another one I got distracted from. Good thing I read this.

Bad thing.. wife tivo's both Eleen and Oprah, on at same time... so I had to quick reroute the cable-out on back on cable box

4. jmh

jmh New Member

Yes, these gray jerseys do look like they could be warmup unis.

How did Landycakes miss that???

5. bostoncottage

bostoncottage New Member

Nicely done boys! 3-0 domination

6. BoilerBen

BoilerBen New Member

anybody else think Eddie Johnson is a worthless forward?? I've seen him in his Fulham games and then today. All I see is that he screws up counterattacks and stands a lot. What does he do in practice?? Because he must look like a legend in practice to get the playing time he gets. I never want to see Eddie Johnson in the MNT squad again!!!!

Am I crazy for thinking this??

7. bearzfan4lfe

bearzfan4lfe New Member

Hey Donovan missed that breakaway but El Capitan played his ass off today and looked great. Dempsey got better as he got more tired, note to Hodgson, and it is good to know that EJ's struggles aren't just a Prem thing...

Other than that can we bottle that up and send it straight to South Africa...holy shit we looked good, especially in defense...we are so solid back there, no real chances at all for Poland...

Great atmosphere there and great performance by the fans both by respecting our anthem and supporting their team even down 3-0 they were singing...

3-0 against a European team regardless who they are is a great accomplishment...This is a Polish team that beat out Portugal for their Euro 2008 spot...

AAAAAAAAAAAnd we didn't even have our full first choice line-up out there, although maybe we should switch to this one from here on out. Fabulous job boys, I could write so much more, bright future and a result that is sure to turn some heads...

COYRW&B's!!!

8. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

That, boys and girls, was what you call a good ol' fashioned butt whoppin'. The score could have been 6-0 and the Poles wouldn't have felt hard done by.

I'm sure Cappello will look at that match and ask himself why he agreed to play the Yanks.

I agree on E.Johnson - no heart; it's like he's just going through the motions. Josh Wolff did more in his short time as a sub than Johnson did all day.

9. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Hey, I loved the grey jerseys. The partial red collar made it look like they all had superman capes hanging down their backs. Guess you men cant appreciate that.

Wow, three beautiful set pieces. GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAL

The Benny situation really is interesting. The announcers said the whole thing on the air. Benny will have to deal with that; he looked good when he came on.

Sad thing is Johnson appeared to be his old self, but that only makes me love Woy more because the only times I've ever felt EJ looked scary dangerous was in two of the games he played for Fulham.

ChiTom sorry for the disappointment. The three little Polish boys at my house were disappointed too. I told them that this will make Poland work harder in prep for the Euro Cup and that will be good. Their fan support today was great.

10. bearzfan4lfe

bearzfan4lfe New Member

I don't know what to say about Johnson...it is there, and we all know it because we've all seen it, but he looks flat at Fulham and in a USA strip...At least RH has an excuse to bench him saturday and maybe try Healy up top with McGod...

Dempsey prolly won't start but he looked great towards the end just fatigued, still his head was in the game...oh boy is Belle excited!!!!!!!

Sorry Tom...

11. BoilerBen

BoilerBen New Member

Josh Wolff did more in 1 minute of playing than good ol' EJ did in the whole game!!

On another note... I really like the mix of Bradley and Clark in the middle... they played well together!!!

I think your right about Cappello, after they lose today he will regret signing on to play our MNT... Can't wait for that game!!!

12. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Tom: "Thus, my brother and I went to Selhurst Park and were treated great. They let us onto the pitch the day before Manchester United was coming to town. They talked with us near the pitch and were very warm and welcoming on us. No other clubs were like this. That is why I like Palace."

I, like Tom as well, had a great experience at Selhurst Park and will forever be an Eagles supporter!

Palace! Palace!! Palace!!! Palace!!!!

The US shouldn't wear a blackish-slate kit again. Ever.

Nice result, but why did the Fulham contingent play so many minutes?

Also, EJ needs to move to the fuc&*ng goal when he gets the ball. Sometimes defenders were 5-6 yards off of him when he received the ball and he still stood there and passed laterally or backwards. Same shit he does with FFC, and now after a month of it, I want to see him attack. ATTACK WHEN YOU GET THE BALL, EJ!!!!

13. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

re: Fulham players. I was surprised Johnson played the whole game, but neither Dempsey nor Bocanegra are starting right now; especially in the latter case, Woy probably appreciated a chance to keep his player fit.

14. EricD

EricD New Member

That was a nice play by Benny when he brought it across the top of the box and slotted that ball past the defenders with the right pace. If Dempsey doesn't pull up his run, he has a great opportunity.

The whole Benny attitude thing bugs the hell out of me. He has such great talent that I hope does not get wasted. I agree with HatterDon on the work harder than everyone else deal. The good thing was that he had nice touches today, and he did do a full sprint back on D after he positioned himself too late on that cross.

I still think the Bradley Feilhaber combo has been the best. Clark is a good defender and covers a lot of ground, but he seems a little lost with the ball at his feet. Clark does fairly well in this lineup because Dempsey and LD do not play defensively, so he covers for their attack.

15. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Agree with what EricD said.

I really, really like 'Dolo. He adds another dimension to the right side. Some of you have touted him (Hatter, among others) for a while now, but I've just come around in the past couple of months.

Adding a healthy Beas, Adu and Altidore, with a couple other young 'uns, to this core is an exciting prospect.

16. BarryP

BarryP New Member

I am usually not a naysayer and this was a good performance by the back four and the central midfield but somebody needs to play a sublimanal tape for our attackers that says ....

Turn and Shoot! Turn and shoot! Turn and Shoot!

Besides Ching's header did our attacking players put a decent shot on goal? As well as the team performed it was missing the attacking skill a Freddie Adu will bring to it.

The one player that really stood out tonight for me was Bradley. His first touch and vision was excellent tonight. He has truly elevated his game over every other US midfielder in my opinion.

17. jmh

jmh New Member

Agreed. I was impressed by all the singing.

18. Meggrs

Meggrs New Member

Amen, nevtzer, on Dolo--love him. As for all the EJ comments? Preaching to the choir over here, my friends. This is exactly what I've been complaining about (since 2006, but who's counting?). :D

I realize there is a legitimate argument to be made for not pinning all our attacking hopes on Jozy and Freddy, but when your actual job title is "Put the Ball in the Back of the Net," I cannot support (our current) forwards who don't score, no matter how much I like Brian Ching and how well Wolff has played for us in the past.

Overall, the guys are looking comfortable with each other, finally, which was a critical ingredient missing from the 06 World Cup team. Imagine, two more years of developing familiarity--I'm getting goosebumps on my tiny patches of optimism.

19. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Well, let me stand against the tide with Johnsonl. He was basically put there to feed Ching and then Wolff and he did that. He was NOT the prime attacker in Bradley's design. Having said that, I'd like to see a bit more quickness out of him when he has an opening. Overall, I thought he looked better tonight than he has in his two full matches for us.

Best players out there? For me it's hard to choose among 'dolo, Boca, and [I can't believe I'm saying this] Donovan. Neither of those three put a foot wrong, and each of them showed great leadership.

Other than that, I thought that Pearce and Gooch have to now be considered as the #1 option for their positions. Each of them showed some maturity and poise and class. The engine room of the USMNT midfield will be and should be Bradley. He was GIANT out there. Wolff looked more dangerous than Ching, but the Dynamo didn't embarass himself. As a matter of fact, nobody did.

Finally, I like the way Bradley approaches his talent. Matching Johnson and Ching up front with Donovan and Dempsey penetrating is our very best option. Barring injury, I think we have our first choice back four, goalkeeper, defensive mid, and at least one wide mid. Give us a healthy Beasley, a continuing-to-mature Adu, Maurice Edu, and Jozy, I think we're something to talk about in South Africa.

I don't think that Eddie, Wolff, or Ching will be our strikers there. We need some more talent to complement Jozy.

Good match though; it was wierd for me, though, because there was 6.5 hours of half time!

COYRWB. Let's get some three lions!

Oh, and one thing that must be bugging the Polska fans -- including Chicago Tom -- is that two very high quality Polish footballers [Podolski and Klose] scored today FOR GERMANY!

20. bearzfan4lfe

bearzfan4lfe New Member

I believe those kits were Charcoal...and I liked them, it enhances our 'evil' image around the globe...fantastic.