E.J. Turns Down Rams

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by nevzter, Jul 24, 2007.

1. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Apparently, Eddie Johnson has turned down an offer (I know MLS owns his rights) from Derby to ply his trade in the EPL this season. He states he wants to continue playing for K.C. That's all well and good...however, his USMNT jersey should be given to Jozy post-haste.

http://msn.foxsports.com/other/story/7056858

2. Kickflip89

Kickflip89 New Member

:(

He could be so good, though. Well, he's still young. As long as he goes somewhere before he's 26 or so, I'll be happy.

3. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

I'm sure playing in front of 65,000 fans disquised as empty seats in Arrowhead Stadium is so much more appealing than playing in the best league in the world w/atmosphere and competition you can only dream of as an American. Who really knows if a deal was in place (my guess is EJ didn't want to be a 3rd/4th choice striker on a team that will fight relegation), but if he had the opportunity to go he flat out BLEW IT.

I still have hopes, and I actually thought he was one of the few brights spots in the Copa (he ran his arse off w/next to ZERO help), he would have improved immeasurably w/a season of training in the Premiership.

4. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Stupid! Our guys like Demerit, Dempsey, McBride, Philhaber, Bradley give me optimisim and then we have these wimps like EJ and Donovan. Its dissapointing.

5. phillybiz

phillybiz New Member

Couldn't agree with you any more spencer. Especially the way Demerit did it. These other guys give the rest, hell us a bad name.

6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I'm wondering if it was made clear to Johnson that MLS wouldn't let him go and so he used the occasion to make nice to the home fans.

Many of you may remember that several years ago, Tony Sanneh turned down a January move to WBA because, according to his agent, THEY were likely to be relegated. That basically ruined his opportunity to EVER move from the BL to the EPL or CCC. Hope Johnson doesn't get caught up in that.

I agree with most of you that Johnson could be very very good. Let's see what happens in January.

7. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Sanneh is a poor example, Don..

1. he spent six straight seasons in the Bundesliga.. 'injured' much of that time.

2. Sanneh is/was a self-overrated prick.

Oh, he was good ENOUGH to have played with West Brom, but I'd think they dodged the bullet.

8. pettyfog

And hold on about the basic premise, here... that playing with just about any team in the Prem is automatically better than playing here.

Often 'better coaching' is cited as one of the advantages... oh, REALLY? Who says the average team's coaching is better than a player will get here.

I'll concede that the playing against better talent elevates.. no question about that. At the LEAST it presents a higher profile.

But if Donovan had been a blazer in the the 06 WC, the final nail would have been put in the concept that he wimped out. Actually he presented a sound argument in my view, If I were 'just a player' I'd rather play in SoCal than winter in Germany.

You think Volz hasnt had offers? He's not at Fulham JUST to play at a glamorous side.

9. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Hey watch it fog!! You're picking on Saint Paul's finest there.

Speaking of Sanneh he just signed a two week contract for the last place Thunder. Apparently he's signing with Redbull after that. The guys pretty old now and MLS way overpayed him, the minute he came back from Europe he looked past it, average in Chicago. Maybe Arena can get a good year out of him, they could use some help in the back.

10. pettyfog

Donovan to London? Hmmm! / Sanneh to NY? Snicker..

You forgot... he played for the Crew. And he DID help us out... up until the rubber had to meet the road in the playoffs against NE.

I wouldnt say he's a Locker Room cancer but he is definitely NOT "all about the team."
    Well, whatever... Arena definitely built Red Bull up. If he wants to tear them back down, okay with me.

- - - - - -- - - - - - - - -
    And about Landon... seems there's a rumor about that Lalas wants to trade him after the season. Makes sense unless LD modifies himself to take a different role now that DB is there. And there's the money...

So, of course, hysteria has replaced reason on the Galaxy forums

And of course I have to point out that ALL THINGS - INCLUDING WIFEY Bianca's so-called career - taken into account, the REAL trade deal-fishing being done just MIGHT be around London Clubs that dont begin with a 'C'.

11. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

hmm, i think ej is competing with landycakes as the biggest ninny ever and would rather bask in mls's mickey mouse glory than get better and help out the national side. this isnt good.

12. Martin-in-Nashville

Martin-in-Nashville New Member

Re: Donovan to London? Hmmm! / Sanneh to NY? Snicker..

And of course I have to point out that ALL THINGS - INCLUDING WIFEY Bianca's so-called career - taken into account, the REAL trade deal-fishing being done just MIGHT be around London Clubs that dont begin with a 'C'.[/quote]

Well lets hope and pray it doesn't begin with 'F'

13. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

RE: Re: Donovan to London? Hmmm! / Sanneh to NY? Snicker..

1. The best thing that could ever happen to Donovan is Beckham on the team. It's also the best situation that Beckham could have in the MLS. I think Donovan is going to be huge playing with Beckham and that Beckham is going to love a guy who takes intelligent positions and runs so quickly from behind the forward line like Donovan does. If Becks is fully healthy, I think the Galaxy runs the table this year.

2. Playing in Europe and especially playing in highly competitive situations is always going to be better for American players than playing in the US will be. If we're ever going to find out how they can perform under pressure, we're going to have to see them playing in championship/promotion/relegation situations as well as in the ECL. As long as it doesn't matter to anyone if Columbus gets 1 point off Toronto instead of 3, what we discover about a players ability to excel under pressure will have to be away from the MLS.

3. I believe that Johnson will turn it around, and will be in some European team's squad come January. And I think he'll do well.

14. BC

BC New Member

Turning down a chance to play in the best league in the world is a big mistake. I've had it with EJ. Give Altidore his spot and let's move on.

15. WonsanUnited

WonsanUnited New Member

I think EJ wants to wait until he gets on offer from a middle table club where he can get some minutes. Plus he has his family to deal with, maybe in a few years he'll get to the EPL, hell maybe next year.

16. Kickflip89

Kickflip89 New Member

Blackburn is apparently showing interest now.

I don't think EJ will make a move this season, to be honest. I think if he goes it'll be after next season, or next summer.

17. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

EJ's lack of intelligence now matches his lack of finishing ability, and possibly shows a lack of heart.

Landycakes better not be mentioned in the same sentence as Fulham. If the Brits thought the Boston Tea Party was a rude display of Yank civil disobedience, just wait until PrimaDonovan gets too close to The Cottage.

18. Optimizer

Optimizer New Member

I feel like I should call in a WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH-mbulance for this thread.

Why in the hell should Eddie Johnson skip out on MLS now, where he's playing incredibly well for a team that's playing very well, to join DERBY COUNTY? If Johnson continues performing well, he's likely to get more offers with potentially larger paychecks. It makes perfect sense to not jump at the first opportunity he gets - especially if it's Derby.

19. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Oh, Optimizer. What a card.

I imagine being in Leagues that could jettison them out of mediocrity and into a higher level of competition is complete folly on behalf of all those Americans abroad.

They should all come back and play in the MLS. I'm sure that would gaurantee them bigger contracts in the future.

One word about your reasoning, "bollocks".

20. Optimizer

Optimizer New Member

The key word is could. For all you and I know, EJ would be riding the pine as Derby fights relegation - something that would hurt his development as opposed to playing competitive soccer somewhere.

The only bollocks here is this statement. My point was not that all Americans should come back to MLS or anything. My point is that Eddie Johnson is enjoying his soccer and is performing very well after a craptacular season in MLS last year. EJ should go abroad, but I don't think taking any deal in the middle of a season where he's got his productive ways back is a good idea. If EJ continues his current pace of goalscoring, I don't see why he wouldn't get more offers in January. It's not like incredibly athletic strikers who are under 25 are all that common.