Appropriate Article on mental health

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, May 11, 2014.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

2. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

But now to get serious.

The Santa Barbara killings. While all the data is yet to come in, what we have in the latest shooting is both predictable and illustrative of 'The Gun Problem.'

This Forbes article describes the shooter's state of mind and the surface issues:The Disturbing Internet Footprint Of Santa Barbara Shooter Elliot Rodger

Note there's a second article below the first taking the predictable 'Blame The Gun' position when it's obvious Rodger would have found another way if he hadnt been able to get his hands on a pistol. His first three victims were stabbed to death, he could have run through a crowd with an icepick, for example. Or just mowed them down with his car.

Note that many people on the net were alarmed at what the kid was saying, essentially a plea for help. He not only had no girlfriends he apparently had no friends, period. He was jealous of people who had relationships of any kind, not just Pick-up Artists.

Too bad he didnt even have a sport fan group to belong to. And apparently not much of a Gamer Nerd group, either. He couldn't check his Self-Privilege enough to allow for that.
    While I despise the idea, I see no alternative than a way for folks to report odd and dangerous posting to local authorities so they can compare them to permit databases.

But that wouldnt have stopped his killings. End of the day, Life is dangerous and there are going to be innocent victims.. the only comfort is in the statistical rarity of it happening to you.
    Disclaimer: I haven't had a firearm in my house for over 40 years, I dont plan to ever have one. I hope that all my neighbors do, and that at least 5% of the people I encounter in public have Concealed Carry.

3. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

The thing is, people all over the internet saw this young guy had serious issues and was a seriously defective unit. I saw one article that someone notified the police and he was deemed to be a ok and not a threat by them. Sigh, that's the heartbreaking thing, his peers saw it and even perhaps his parents saw it too since he was diagnosed by a professional as a high function asperger individual. Fog, you're right there really isn't anything stop people like this from committing murder. But it's not an answer that one likes to hear, especially when you know someone that's been affected by the mass shootings of late. The odds of getting into a mass shooting maybe slim, but that doesn't take the pain away knowing there were so many flags being raised with these individuals, and in hindsight it seems so clear they would commit murder--it just makes it all the more nonsensical.

Going slightly off tangent here, but I am extremely tired and angry with these conspiracy theory idiots that claim these shootings are somehow fake and there are no victims. They have no clue how insensitive their little comments are on news sites. These mass shootings happened and there are families left hurting with the loss of a loved one. Their friends and relatives don't appreciate these comments on how the parents appear to be acting or the whole thing was faked. My anger with these twerps is reaches new highs every time I stumble upon them. UGH.