All Stars / Celtic

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by pettyfog, Jul 20, 2007.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

2-0
    Angel, Toja

It has become fashionable for fans to poo-poo the All Star game, and I was away only seeing most of the second half.

But what I saw was entertaining. Movement of the ball through the midfield was the indicator of the match. MLS were having their way with the rusty Celtic and definitely had the most of possession; showing the difference you see in almost any match of the genre... here, we go for the ball instead of lying back.

Celtic had several chances but mainly on counters. Celtic had come in saying they were going for the win and it showed but frankly they didnt have a prayer to win, the only way for that to happen was for MLS to lose.

In the end, it was an exhibition that proved nothing by result. But the level of play was what we were looking for, wasnt it.

2. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Fair analysis, Fog.

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

the MLS always has two advantages gong in this match:

1. it's MLS midseason and the European side is in shake-down cruise mode

2. The tenacity that the MLS side usually shows is very unusual for an all-star game in any sport in any country.

I was pleased to see the result, but actually wanted it to finish 6 or 7-nil after I read Strachan's comments that the Hoops were hoping to show the crowd [and I guess the TV audience] "what good football looks like." Once a strutting little rooster, always a strutting little rooster.

4. jmh

jmh New Member

Re: RE: All Stars / Celtic

It'd be nice if that weren't true.

5. pettyfog

RE: Re: RE: All Stars / Celtic

Ooops, I forgot. I'm pettyblogger now... that should have been on page 2.

6. nmancini04

nmancini04 New Member

I only watched the first 20 minutes and was quite bored: ugly passing, few chances, not much effort. Ricardo Clark had a couple of nice runs, but that was it. I'm glad to hear the play improved in the 2nd half.

7. WonsanUnited

WonsanUnited New Member

Don't forget that Nakamura is in Vietnam playing in the Asian Cup. If he was there, I think Celtic would have scored a goal. He's the main man in the Celtic midfield and he creates the oppurtunities.

8. pettyfog

So, all the best Celtic werent on the pitch.

And neither were all the best MLS players.

9. krhimself

krhimself New Member

Pretty dreadful from a Celtic fan's point of view. I actually gathered my nerves to watch all 90 minutes of this match, and at no point did we look like we were going to win. Only Boruc, Naylor, and McDonald looked really active out there, and the rest of the players were basically trying to gather their feet. Jarosik and Hartley were complete wastes of space, though.

Thank the heavens we didn't drop any points because of this match!

10. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Now Celtic can go back to the SPL for their 4-match season.

11. sublicon

sublicon New Member

There's only Juan Pablo Angel. ;)