What other teams do you support?

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by SteveFakeBlood, Feb 8, 2010.

1. SteveFakeBlood

SteveFakeBlood Member

Broward County , FL (from DuPage County, IL)
    This has probably been brought up here at some point (and I'm not totally positive this is the right forum- if either is the case- Mods can feel free to move/delete/whatever), but I'm just curious what teams people support other than Fulham (sticking to the professional soccer/football teams here).

As for me:

Chicago Fire Got to support the local team. Funnily enough, it took me a few years to start following them after I got interested in the sport. The third game I ever attended I was sitting in the Section 8 supporter's section for the 2006 US Open Cup Final, which the Fire won 2-1- it was the only time I've seen one of my teams win a championship in person (not counting high school sports) and the atmosphere was incredible. We had champagne toasts in the parking lot afterwards. I've attended probably about a dozen games since then, but none could match that intensity.

AFC Wimbledon I'm not sure if they're technically professional being in the Conference National, but I've just been really fascinated by their history (in the last few years, how many 21st century teams created by fans have come to the cusp of playing in the Football League?) and I had a lot of fun at the game I attended in 2007 (Fulham were playing a home match the day I left- unfortunately I had used my vacation time from work so I couldn't stay any later). Also, pseudo-local because I had an internship in the Raynes Park/West Wimbledon area.

In the last month, I've heard more about and started following FC St. Pauli (who are currently leading Bundesliga 2) and like the culture surrounding the team- but I'm not sure I really qualify as a supporter since I haven't ever actually seen/listened to a match (and I feel iffy about supporting a team I don't even have a tenuous area connection to).

~Steve

2. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

I tend to follow with interest the American players abroad, but am not a fan of their teams. I like Plymouth Argyle because my daughter's step grandfather is a life long fan of them and we talk football all the time (sadly Plymouth look for certain to be relegated out of the Championship this year).

I'm the lone gringo to like Chivas de Gaudalajara. I know they only have Mexican players (it's an unwritten team policy that's not exactly a secret). However, I have many friends of Mexican descent and almost all are either Chivas or Club America fans, so going to the Classico at a house is always a good time. One of my best friends got me into the Goats (Chivas is spanish for goats) and I in turned got him into Fulham. My wife and I went to Mexico last summer and we did catch a Chivas-Monterrey game and we sat close to the Pora which is their version of Liverpool's Kop. Great atmosphere.

My only other true love of a team is the USMNT. They are who got me into the sport in the first place. My dream is to see them play a WC match (I went to a game in '94, but it wasn't the US).

3. Jensers

Jensers New Member

USMNT, Spurs, Fulham, Sounders.

Like SoCal - I also DVR the other Americans in the EPL and watch the match if they do something of note.

4. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Other teams I support in Europe? None!!!!

Here, even though I am in Ohio, I support Seattle Sounders FC b/c I was stationed at Ft. Lewis WA for 3 1/2 years in the mid 90s and I really liked the area. Also, another Cleveland boy and fellow veteran of our armed services is a part owner.

Also, for a useless bit of trivia, Kasey Keller grew up in Lacey, WA, right outside the back gate of Ft Lewis. That's a pretty small, rural area.

5. jmh

jmh New Member

USMNT, Red Bull New York, Barcelona

6. DCDave

DCDave Member

DC United, USMNT, Romania

7. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

It's good enough place for it. It COULD be in a couple others but I cant be building a forum to catcn everything possible. I could rename this one to catch it, but then I'd have to move it to "Our Football world".
    Actually not a bad idea. I'll think about it.
    - - -- - - -- - - - --
    At Don's request, I searched for other threads on the topic:

Which team would you buy (and why)?
    Other Squads You Support
    What Non-Fulham clubs do you support?
    Favorite Football Teams (OTHER than Fulham, of course)?

Now those go back pretty far. I also searched 'Clubs you hate' in various wording and came up empty except where it returned ALL recent posts.

I know there was such a thread but seems to me it wasnt in the obvious forums, thought I moved it but...

8. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

As passionately as Fulham, just the USMNT. Casually, Shrewsbury Town, Peterborough and Alemannia Aachen.

9. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

I wrote a piece a long time ago on 'Why I'm a follower, not a fan."
    Still holds true. I'm more interested in the WHOLE picture surrounding any given club than I am the match results and various player skills.

If I had to choose a few, I obviously am interested in Villa and Everton.

If I have to say WHICH team I'm MOST passionate about, weak as it might be:
    The Crew. Yeah.. more than Fulham*. Mainly because it's local and I once again have S/T cause my son is back in town and it's something to do together.

There's other things one should be more passionate about than any sport but I wont go into that here.

* I just thought of a good way to express that:

If I were asked which I'd rather see - Crew Win MLS Cup in 2010 or Fulham end up top of table in 2011, I'd pick Fulham top of table.

If it was between Crew/MLSCup and Fulham in top four, I'd pick Crew. Barely, even though Crew cup is far more likely.

If the choice was between Crew/MLS Cup and Fulham NOT relegated, I'd STILL pick Crew.. but for a different reason. Because it would be fun watching Fulham claw their way back up.

10. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

Inter Milan and that's pretty much it. The Serie A is really hiring and we win the title months in advance so I really could care less about the league, only care about Europe.

I don't support any national team, but I usually watch Ireland's matches along with the US matches.

11. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

thanks for your research, 'fog. I tried but couldn't get there. You're the King of Links!

12. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Translation = FFC24 hearts US and Ireland, I know ya do!

13. IanHux

IanHux New Member

I am a fan of the Sounders as well. (For the record, I was a fan of them during the USL days. This was just after I saw the light and became a footy fan. I witnessed their 2007 USL championship thumping of the Silverbacks.) I am actually more passionate about them than Fulham but that's also because the Sounders are local and FFC is such a long way away.

I'm just lazy enough to let my passion for Fulham wax and wane but my fidelity will never be in question. I would still follow Fulham if they had an unlikely disastrous drop to the Conference (knock on wood).

Also, I have a friend from Germany who's favorite club is MSV Duisburg. They're pretty fulhamish and I root for them to make the top flight soon but it is again the unfortunate situation where it is nigh impossible to watch their matches. So, unfortunately, they get passive well wishing from me.

14. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

Fog likes the Columbus Crew?

Who knew??!?!?!111

;)

15. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Do the SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS count? Lovable losers (as long as you don't remind me of 2002) that are right up there with the Cubs and Indians in the futility department.

I also support a club in administration (err, Crystal Palace) and the reincarnation of the almighty San Jose Earthquakes.

16. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Do the SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS count? Lovable losers (as long as you don't remind me of 2002) that are right up there with the Cubs and Indians in the futility department.

I also support a club in administration (err, Crystal Palace) and the reincarnation of the almighty San Jose Earthquakes.

17. MisfitKid

MisfitKid New Member

Like Nev, I too am an Earthquakes fan.

The Gigantes too (and grew up/still am an Angels fan, sorry Nev...) :big grin:

18. terrinh73

terrinh73 Member

USMNT

THE ATLANTA BRAVES (um...are we counting other sports?)!

Chivas Guadalajara

19. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Nev, So I shouldn't lend you my 2002 World Series dvd? :roll:

20. SteveFakeBlood

SteveFakeBlood Member

Broward County , FL (from DuPage County, IL)
    It's funny with everyone mentioning national teams, because for some reason (probably because it was 2 AM) I only thought of club teams, which is funny given the World Cup is a few months away. I, like many others on here, am a devoted supporter of the USMNT (my favorite player is- surprise, surprise: Clint Dempsey). I also root for the English National team after my experiences studying abroad- but obviously, the National team of the country I was born in, raised in and currently live in takes priority (I was both excited and disappointed to see them in the same WC group- hopefully they'll both advance without much fuss).

Some people mentioned clubs outside soccer- in which case, the Chicago White Sox always have been and always will be #1, but I also support the Chicago Bulls and any teams from my alma maters University of Missouri and Florida State (but especially football and men's basketball- although I also became a big fan of FSU's baseball and women's soccer teams).

~Steve