WC qualifiers-around the globe

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by SoCalJoe, Sep 10, 2009.

1. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Europe; While England, Holland, and Spain have had smooth sailing, everyone else is fighting it out. Think about the teams that are just trying to get to the 8 team playoff (for 4 spots). Sweden, Portugal, France, Russia, Bos-Herz, Greece, Ireland, Slovenia. More than likely Sweden or Portugal wont even make it to the playoff. Teams that have been top-notch like Turkey and my Czech Republic are on the outside looking in.

South America; To the person(s) responsible for hiring the Argentina national coach...Thank You. Putting an egomaniacal, crack smoking, cheating, clueless whack job in charge was a stroke of genius. Okay it should read "former crack smoking", but you get the idea. They are only one point out of the automatic spot, but only 1 point ahead of being in 7th place. I think they'll qualify in spite of him, but one can hope he guides them to one of the worst tank jobs in recent memory.

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

What all this is telling me is that there's not going to be a lot of easy groups for the USA to be in in South Africa. We're gonna be pressed from the git.

3. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

Check out the highlights from the Saudi Arabia / Bahrain match from Goff's website. Talk about a thriller at the end. Bahrain now plays New Zealand in a playoff for a spot in S. Africa.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/soccerinsider/

4. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

The good news is that the USMNT tend to play to the level of the opposition. So better competition might lead to more inspired performances.

5. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

You area TRUE FOOTY FAN for starting this thread, SoCalJoe.

And that would be OUR CZECH REPUBLIC. I still hold out hope, but it is all steeply uphill now.

6. JP-STL

JP-STL New Member

Just because one is very, very good at a DOING a particular thing (like playing soccer), does not necessarily mean one will be good at teaching that thing, or motivating people doing that thing, or managing people who do that thing.

...in the sports world, the media-fueled hero-worship often makes people forget that simple fact.

7. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

It was easy to see this car crash coming down the freeway with both doors open and the high beams on.

I just can't stand him, but I think they'll pull it out and get a spot.

8. SoCalJoe

It was easy to see this car crash coming down the freeway with both doors open and the high beams on.

I just can't stand him, but I think they'll pull it out and get a spot.[/quote]

Ever since I witnessed Argentina fans act like idiots after they lost at the Rose Bowl in '94 I've gone out of my way to root against them, but it's hard to fathom a team that talented not being there. I think they'll pull it out, but not firing him will surely mean an underachieving WC. They are on a short list of teams that can actually win it, but him as coach is a recipe for disaster.

9. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

RE: Re: WC qualifiers-around the globe

Hungary totally choked. They played not to lose and lost -- surprise! Shame that we wont be with them or NornIron in 2010.

And what is in the water in Slovenia and Slovakia? 10 years ago both started their first WC qualification campaigns. But Slovakia has practically qualified for their first appearance, and Slovenia is en route to their second.

10. SoCalJoe

Our Czech Republic (well Christian's and mine) go whimpering out. Time for a complete rebuilding job. Let's face it Whitesbhoy, when your rolling out Milan Boras still, that means there's a dearth of talent.

Sweden and Croatia are the other 2 big surprises not even making the playoffs. Portugal and France had too much talent not to keep their hopes alive (the pretty boy flopper Ronaldo is iffy for the Nov. playoff).

The nut job manages to get Argentina into the Finals, and in ever classy style tells his critics (who dared to question their underachieving play) to;
    "suck it" not once, but twice. That winter parka he wears makes him look like a cross between a troll and the Michelin Man. How about the 'Michelin Midget?'

11. SoCalJoe

WCQ - Euro Playoffs

France v Ireland; Pulling hard for the Irish, but France is too much for them to handle.

Portugal v Bos/Herz; Portugal picked the right time to start getting results, and will beat B/H.

Russia v Slovenia; Guus will work his magic, and Russia advances

Greece v Ukraine; Closest matchup and a coin flip...tails it is, Ukraine goes to SA.

12. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

I'm firmly convinced that if Argentina finished 6th, FIFA would've given South AMerica a 6th spot with the 5th spot going to the playoff while the 6th place team went straight to South Africa. This seeding stuff is complete and utter bullshit. Not only do they fucking seed the teams, but they seed them according to FIFA rankings! Is Ireland really worse than fucking Slovenia? Is France and Portugal really the top 2 teams from the last 2 years? Fuck no to both questions.

FIFA is a sack of shit organization. Here's hoping Bosnia and Ireland pull out wins!

13. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

Re: WCQ - Euro Playoffs

Hard to argue with those picks. The Greeks can be pretty salty so I think they'll win their matchup. I'll be rooting for Ireland, against Portugal and indifferent to the rest.

14. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

Based on the RESULTS of the last few years (check them out, I did), yes, Ireland is worse than Slovenia. France bombed out of the EuroCup, but Portugal won their group and France has good Euro qualifying results.

Go to FIFA's site and their ranking algorithm is there in detail. Is it perfect? No, but its better than the BCS rankings, which take human opinion as a factor.

This is not to say that I don't think FIFA is a corrupt organization, but math is tough to argue with.

15. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

I can argue with them math when that math has Fraance and Portugal in the top 10 and the CZECH REPUBLIC in the top 15! I think that evens the Czech fans on this forum would laugh at that. The FIFA rankings have always been a joke.

Not sure why you mention the BCS as I think that's a joke too.

16. jmh

jmh New Member

I think you need to work on your reading comprehension; it's pretty clear why Andy mentioned the BCS.

17. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

18. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

Algeria is officially 'parking the bus' against Egypt, which is okay with a lead in a WC Qualifier.

BUT, with 40 minutes to go??? Come on!!!! That's just an insult to the game, (not to mention way to early).

19. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

Ukraine 0 - 0 Greece. Exciting...............??

20. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

Scratch that. Ukraine 0 - 1 Greece. Opa!!