USMNT v. Guatemala

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by HatterDon, Nov 11, 2008.

1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Here's the link:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/s ... =si_soccer

You can certainly tell that we've already qualified for the next round. Here's the roster:

Goalkeepers: Brian Edwards (Toronto), Troy Perkins (Valerenga, Norway), Matt Pickens (no club)
    Defenders: Jonathan Bornstein (Chivas USA), Sean Franklin (Los Angeles), Cory Gibbs (Colorado), Clarence Goodson (IK Start, Norway), Drew Moor (Dallas), Michael Parkhurst (New England)
    Midfielders: Colin Clark (Colorado), Ricardo Clark (Houston), Sacha Kljestan (Chivas USA), Nick LaBrocca (Colorado), Pablo Mastroeni (Colorado)
    Forwards: Davy Arnaud (Kansas City), Chad Barrett (Toronto), Conor Casey (Colorado), Brian Ching (Houston), Kenny Cooper (Dallas)

I'm thinking that if Cooper can't get a cap in this match, he should just forget about international football. Would be nice to see Gibbs get a runout for old times sake.

How about this for a starting 11? 4-3-3
    Perkins;
    Moor, Parkhurst, Gibbs, Bornstein;
    C. Clark, Kljestan, Arnaud;
    Casey, Barrett, Cooper

2. dtwondough

dtwondough New Member

Well, the line-up certainly isn't the line-up you buy tickets for, but I'm excited to be going. It will probably be 30 degrees though, that will suck.

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Hope you have a great evening, Roger. An "eye-witness" match report should be in order as well.

Maybe, someday, we'll get a match here in San Antonio ... .

4. dtwondough

dtwondough New Member

Thanks, I'll do my best to provide a report. It won't be near as detailed as most reports on here, but I'm sure I can make something happen.

5. IanHux

IanHux New Member

Well, hopefully T&T get at least a point against cuba so we don't have to travel to the "stadium of candlelight" again. Or hopefully this squad can get at least a point. I really dislike Guatemala. They have no respect from me whatsoever.

6. BarryP

BarryP New Member

One thing is certain. Nobody will be able to say Bob didn't look at some different players for this match.

7. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

My thinking is like ianhux5, I want T&T advancing so we dont have to play in Guatemala again (and because I like T&T). For that reason, I wish Bob had called up more of the regulars.

I feel good that Cooper is in there - I think one of his previous caps was against Guatemala so that is good and some physical size in there will be useful.

Dtwondough I hope you have a great time at the game. If it had been this weekend instead of Wednesday, I would be there with you. My brother just moved to Boulder so a MNT game would have been a good excuse to visit him.

No Feilhaber in this squad? What's up with that. Anyone know what he's doing lately?

8. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

According to Wiki:

He only has credit for one match played, however, and that was on September 1.

9. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

My hearsay recollection is that he is suffering through a knee injury right now...he hasn't been named in his club squad in a while, "allegedly" due to injury. Fellow Yank J. White has no problem starting for the club in front of BF now...seriously, what the hell happened to this dude? Injury, I understand the drag, but he was on the slip 'n' slide to oblivion long before his current malaise. Regardless, is this guy a prima donna? He's demonstrated class when not injured, my conclusion is that his attitude must suck...

As with any USMNT match, I'll be up for it and, although slightly ashamed to admit it, I'm intrigued to see this squad play, especially the uber-clamored-hyped for-neophyte Cooper. The "A" young'uns had a rough one against T&T, this "B" (and "C") squad faces a tough, tough test.

10. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Without having to go back to an earlier Feilhaber thread, his attitude and work ethic have been major issues (especially at Derby). Even if he gets healthy, the odds of him getting back into USMNT picture don't look good (which is stunning since he looked like he would grab hold of Reyna's old role).

Two great names to see for different reasons...Cooper, cause we've all been clamoring. However, the best story has to be Cory Gibbs. He was our best defender (sorry Boca and Gooch fans) before the devastating knee injuries. I'm sure he'll never be the same, but hats off for the heart and guts to make it back onto the pitch.

11. BarryP

BarryP New Member

Guzan, Altidore and Adu included on the 20 man roster for the match against Guatemala.

U.S. ROSTER BY POSITION
    GOALKEEPERS (3): Brad Guzan (Aston Villa), Troy Perkins (Valerenga IF), Matt Pickens (out of contract)
    DEFENDERS (6): Jonathan Bornstein (Chivas USA), Sean Franklin (Los Angeles Galaxy), Cory Gibbs (Colorado Rapids), Clarence Goodson (IK Start), Drew Moor (FC Dallas), Michael Parkhurst (New England Revolution)
    MIDFIELDERS (5): Freddy Adu (AS Monaco), Ricardo Clark (Houston Dynamo), Sacha Kljestan (Chivas USA), Pablo Mastroeni (Colorado Rapids), John Thorrington (Chicago Fire)
    FORWARDS (6): Jozy Altidore (Villarreal), Davy Arnaud (Kansas City Wizards), Conor Casey (Colorado Rapids), Brian Ching (Houston Dynamo), Kenny Cooper (FC Dallas), Chris Rolfe (Chicago Fire)

12. jmh

jmh New Member

Don't Ching and Clark have to play in the MLS Cu... ohhhhh. :D

13. EricD

EricD New Member

Guatemala is the one team that I will gladly have Ricardo Clark in the starting lineup (it pains me to type that, but...). It would be interesting to have Clark and LaBrocca in the lineup since both have put a hurting on Ruiz.

I do not want to see them kick the tar out of Freddy when he is making his moves. That seems like a recipe for disaster.

Benny is out for the rest of 2008 (per Yanks Abroad) with a knee injury. It seems like he was making his way back onto the USMNT, but the injuries hampered that. I thought that he played well against Nigeria in the Olympics (lots of hustle especially if he turned the ball over, and he was linking our team all over). I hope he comes back strong in 2009 and obviously 2010.

14. jmh

jmh New Member

I'd like to see us start Clark and Mastro and task them both with kicking Ruiz at every opportunity. I really don't like that guy.

15. ohio4fulham

ohio4fulham New Member

Good for Cooper. I rate him pretty highly ... hopefully he'll impress enough that he starts getting more serious consideration. I'd swap Eddie Johnson for Cooper in a heartbeat!
    A little surprised to not see Torres again ...

16. EricD

EricD New Member

Clark and Mastro are a pretty brutal midfield, but the opponent is Guatemala. I am up for that. Maybe throw LaBrocca on the outside mid to remind Ruiz of that knee injury (although I have to admit I was a little bummed because it was early in his second LA Galaxy stint - but I am happy to see him shipped out because I said from the beginning that he would be a poison for the team - one of many poisons for LA).

17. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

I think Cooper has been getting serious consideration; injury(s) prevented caps (Copa America) and remember he turned down his last call-up. I would bet Bradley will call him before EJ - unless EJ can start putting an impressive string of performances together with Cardiff.

18. EricD

EricD New Member

I am a big Cooper fan. He does not dilly dally. He takes it strong and shoots from many ranges and angles. He would be a nice start next to Davies on Wed. We know what Ching can do, but I am afraid he will get the start.

19. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

No player who is a regular starter for an active club team was called up. It's all about keeping a good relationship with the team managers.

20. EricD

EricD New Member

I was thinking the same thing regarding Torres. I think he showed that he can play at the level Bob wants, so these other guys need a chance.

I wonder if Beckerman will get another shot. I like his game. It is nice and controlled with good distribution.

Also saw that Ruiz got dropped for the match (as well as the keeper). There was no mention why - new coach decision.