Under 20 World Cup

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by HatterDon, May 29, 2015.

1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Whooping Ukraine ...

... I just love that boy SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe likes this.
  2. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

LOL!!! There is a reason why I got a Yogi quote for my signature HD

3. SoCalJoe

The Kids move on!!!! 1-0 as Rubin scored the goal and Steffen with a late PK save. Congrats to Coach Ramos, the staff, and especially the squad. Enjoy it for the day, then turn the page and get ready for the quarterfinals!!

4. ChicagoCottager

ChicagoCottager Active Member

Just saw the highlights from last night (early this morning). Great goal from Rubin, great save from Steffen. Seems like we were well outplayed, but were able to sneak through. Bring on Serbia!

5. BarryWhite

BarryWhite Well-Known Member

Survive and advance. A great result if not the prettiest of performances.

6. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

Here is the link to highlights. Looks like Emerson was key on setting up the goal. Red card came in the 83'rd minute. Nice job hanging on.

7. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I watched the entire match and it was the best example ever of the old British bromide "Goals Change Games." Until Rubin did his Rubin imitation, we were second best in all aspects. Colombia was quicker, tougher, smarter, more disciplined and more focused. After we scored, what changed was not so much Colombia crumbling, but the USA waking the fuck up. By the time the match ended, we were completely in control. I was very proud of our guys.

8. astroevan

astroevan Well-Known Member

That was a horrible penalty by Acosta. Seriously, you're in the box with both arms wrapped around the opponent? Thank goodness Steffen bailed him out.

I was also impressed that Rubin continued the play instead of appealing for a penalty.

9. SoCalJoe

About to kick off against a very good Serbian team. Need their best match of the tourney to advance.

10. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

SCJ, thank you for the reminder.

11. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

US loses to Serbia in a shoot-out (6-5 on 18 shots). Looked like a great match based on these highlights.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2015
  12. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Wow. That was one crazy game. Both GK did well. Hats off to Serbia, what a heartbreaker for the US. :(

13. ChicagoCottager

ChicagoCottager Active Member

Watched most of it live last night, finished watching it this morning. Great game, but in the end our penalty taking was really poor. Steffan saved us a couple times with big saves in the shootout, but it wasn't enough. It's disappointing because I think this team had the talent to beat Mali and make a World Cup final.

14. SoCalJoe

A penalty shoot-out that had to be seen to be believed. Can we please dispense with the goofy run-ups (both missed badly) meant to fake out the GK?

Hats off to our boys for a great showing and the heart they displayed. Both teams had their chances throughout the 90, and not sure how the Serbian kid missed in the first extra time. On the first set piece of the match I didn't think it'd be possible for the U.S. to holdout because of the Serbian height advantage.

15. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I also started watching last night at 2330, and a good thing I did because Fox obviously believes that a pickup truck race is more important than our national thing. I stayed up watching on the alternate channel until they reverted back to the channel I was DVRing and then went to bed. As planned I got up before church to watch the last 60 minutes of what turned out to be regular time, then had to stop at 90 minutes to go to church. FINALLY got to see the ragged end.

Face it, for about 75 of the 120 minutes we were not in control. When we were, there was no sense of team attack. Tab played very conservatively, hoping we could turn their big defenders. It didn't happen. Neither team had the ability to execute in front of goal, but we could well have been in the semi's except for our nr. 10s sonorous ill luck.

There will be a View on the US effort in the tournament in a day or so.

SoCalJoe likes this.
  16. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

That was a heartbreaker. Though, penalties were poorly taken by the US and the GK did really well to save the US's bacon a couple of times. I was beginning to doze off around PK #16...
    Serbia had some big boys on the pitch last night, and the US couldn't match the size / strength for the long stretch of the second half and extra time that I watched. Hyndman took his penalty well. But I agree with the comments above re the 'run up' to a PK - just place the damn ball (easier said than done, but still).

17. astroevan

astroevan Well-Known Member

I stayed up to watch the whole thing. We definitely looked the smaller and weaker team. Still, just a couple of better taken penalties and we would have been through. I wonder if Joel Sonora ever practices hitting the upper 90, because he couldn't have aimed for that corner any better. The problem is that he needed to be aiming inside the posts.