Under 20 World Cup

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by HatterDon, May 29, 2015.

1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Begins tonight in New Zealand. The US [featuring Emerson Hyndman as capt.] kicks off against Myanmar [Burma to us old people] at 2300 Central on Fox Sports 1. DVRing it here, boss.

SoCalJoe likes this.
  2. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Good looking out HD, setting the dvr as well. Btw, to us 40-somethings it's Burma as well.

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Hyndman was easily the best player on the pitch. There are some other kids that caught the eye -- Rubin for one -- but this doesn't strike me as a group of "special ones." I think we're in for 8-10 years of declining results when Bradley/Dempsey/Howard hang them up.

4. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

If anybody is looking for highlights from the Myanmar match, here they are:

You have to watch it on Youtube though.

5. SoCalJoe

Perfect description of Emerson's goal from a match report; 'Hyndman coolly put in the match winner'

6. BarryWhite

BarryWhite Well-Known Member

I thought the second half performance was far better than the first primarily due to the midfield not being excluded from the match by the long ball.

Hyndman had a nice match when he wasn't getting bypassed.

7. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

USA 4-0 NZ

Hyndman scored in the 33 minute.

astroevan and SoCalJoe like this.
  8. BarryWhite

An improved performance by the US. Rubin, Hyndman, Jamison Arriola and Carter Vickers had mice matches.

SoCalJoe likes this.
  9. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

Are mice matches legal? I'm not sure what they are doing with little tiny matches made for mice. Do they light them and drop them in a goalie's boot on a corner? What ever they are, they worked. Maybe we should let Kit know about them?

Last edited: Jun 2, 2015
    dcheather likes this.
  10. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Mice matches are somewhat better than dog fights. If you watch the replay, turn away for our 4th goal. That was the single worst example of defending I've ever seen in any level of professional soccer. If a team in the Isthmian League did that in England, they'd be without three defenders in their next match.

Overall, though, a very good team effort.

MicahMan likes this.
  11. jimsig

jimsig Active Member

I found proof of these mice matches

[​IMG]

12. jimsig

jimsig Active Member

Or the most famous one
    [​IMG]

13. jimsig

jimsig Active Member

Even a PK.
    [​IMG]

encorespanish and MicahMan like this.
  14. BarryWhite

I thank you all for the grins and giggles.

jimsig likes this.
  15. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

I stayed up and watched last night's game. Emerson Hyndman continues to play well. Gedion Zelalem is also the real deal Holyfield.

Some highlights

Zelalem had a nice nutmeg and rabona as well.

[​IMG]

encorespanish likes this.
  16. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Ukraine 3- USA0 :(

17. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Yeah, we were second best in all aspects of the game. Hyndman never exerted any control, and playing without Rubin took our attacking edge away completely. Ramos has to take "credit" for sending our guys out there to play slow, negative football. The Ukraine squad is GREAT. It could easily have been 6-0, and the penalty that Hyndman botched was never a penalty. It wasn't even a dive either. Bleaaaaach!

18. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Since they were already through to next round, did it seem they were playing for a draw, avoiding cards, or just go through the motions? I was going to add that Hyndman did not look good in the highlights. Missed pen and could have done better defensively on Ukraine's 2nd goal?

19. BarryWhite

I watched the first half before work this morning and I agree with Don with particular regard to Rubin's absence hurting the offense and the lack of a midfield presence from the US. If this were a drag race I would say the Ukraine were the better squad by a bus length in the first half and it must have gotten worse in the second.

20. SoCalJoe

Considering who they are playing in the knockout stage that whooping Ukraine might be just what the doctor ordered. Flying high after destroying the hosts, it really doesn't come as a surprise 18-20 year olds came out flat and without the edge needed to compete. Better believe Tab Ramos has had their full attention in training and they'll be ready to go against Columbia. I looked them up figuring the Columbians have been blowing teams out, but here are their scores; beat Qatar 1-0, drew with Senegal 1-1, and lost to Portugal 1-3. The kids have a golden opportunity to progress so let's hope they grab it.

FulhamTX and BarryWhite like this.