U.S.A. v. Guatemala (Frisco, TX)

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by FFCinPCB, Mar 27, 2007.

1. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Will the USMNT carry the momentum into this one and teach the Guats that you "Don't Mess With Texas"?

We shall see. Appears Boca, Gooch, Howard and Carroll(?) received their walking papers to head back to their respective teams. Seems Bradley has seen enough from each. Can't help but think it means something almost completely different for Carroll than for the others.

Starting XI:

-------------------------------- The Old Man ----------------------------------

----- Cherundolo --------- Spector -------- Simek ---------- DeMerit -----

---- Dempsey -------- Feilhaber ---------- Donovan -------- Beasley -----

----------------- Cooper --------------------- Twellman ---------------------

Bench/Subs:
    Ching
    Bradley
    Mapp
    Johnson
    Guzan

Final: U.S.A. 2 - 0 Guatemala

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Interesting, you've chosen 4 players who have primarily played right back for the back four. I don't think we'll see that, plus I think we have to give Pearce a full 90 at left back.

Aside from that, an interesting lineup. I think I'd give Mapp a half-time replacement gig for Deuce, and Bradley and Johnson in for Cooper and Twellman after 60.

USA USA

By the way, Carroll has an important match for his team this weekend [it's in that league you don't like to talk about].

3. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Word is that Pearce is hurt, so that leaves....

Is Carroll the only player that has a match this weekend? Maybe I'm missing something here. Is he in the Confed Cup? I honestly don't know. Regardless, not exactly impressive the other day. I doubt we'll miss him much.

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

As i mentioned on the Pompey thread, the fact that Bradley held Deuce back is proof to me that CC wasn't planning to give him anything more than a runout.

I don't think he as Beas were "off" nearly so much as they were up against Ecuador's best defenders -- EPL quality defenders IMHO.

I was wondering what you thought of Eddie Johnson's performance. I thought it was the best he'd played in a USA shirt in a long time, but that was just from the TV.

5. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Granted, most of his play was at the other end, as we were with Sam's Army in the opposit endzone stands, but I think most every opinion about Johnson was pretty much, "oh well, another no show game for Eddie. When will we stop putting him in there and hoping he actually catches on?"

So I wasn't all that impressed, and neither were most around us.

Who were the buzz names: Donovan (obviously), Feilhaber, Bradley and porbably in that order. On defense, Gooch dissapointed quite a few with that first goal, but seemed to get back in the match, Conrad showed he belongs, Cherundolo has RB locked up IMO, and Bocanegra put in a solid performance. Midfield see above, buyt Dempsey seemed nearly non-existant to most and while Beasley tried, he just seemed not to be able to deal with the stronger Ecuador guys. Forwards: Twellman, who? Ching, o.k. I guess. Can't decide if sticking your face that low to the ground, knowing there is a good chance of getting kicked in the face is a really committed thing or not so bright thing. I'll go with really committed.

6. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

as much as I don't like Ching...he does hold the ball up nicely. Was that him that put Donovan through for that goal as well? whoever that was, that was a nice play. I'd like to see Pearce go the full 90 as well.

7. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

That was indeed Ching who was the middle man in Donovan's second goal.

Speaking of Pearce: http://www.yanks-abroad.com/content.php ... ws&id=2908

8. BC

BC New Member

Well, a tough game for the US. Guatemala played nearly all of their team behind the ball and it was difficult for the US to break through. Further, they shut down Donovan quite well. Still, the US had chances but couldn't finish. Deuce again had an average game although he was more involved in the second half. Eddie Johnson still needs that killer instinct; he looks like he's not confident to me.

On the upside, I thought our midfield, especially Bradley and Feilhaber, played very well as did our defence. DeMerit, Spector and Simek all had strong showings and should get return calls to the USMNT.

Overall, average performance for the US but some good individual performances by some of the newer players. Guatemala executed their gameplan well and shut us down.

After his first 4 games, I'm feeling pretty good about Bradley. I say we keep him.

9. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

What he said. But I reserve the right to reserve judgment on his last call.

10. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Our wingers, specifically our very own Clint Dempsey, were non-existent. I am not sure what the deal is with Dempsey, but if he continues to play as he has the last two games, he will not be getting off the Fulham bench anytime soon.

Because Guatemala was keeping most every man behind the ball, the US needed to spread the field and get their wingers involved in the game. Mapp did a decent job at times running at players, but Dempsey could not seem to get around anyone and his passing was not so good.

It was a dull match to say the least. I do like Bradley in the midfield and I like Feilhaber as well. I think Feilhaber was pushed back a bit too close to the defense last night, but I might be wrong on that one.

The Guatemalans did a nice job marking Donovan and taking him out of the game. I hope the US can find an answer for these defensive tactics before the Gold Cup in June.

11. dstriker

dstriker New Member

I agree Tom..there is something with Dempsey right now...he just doesn't look right.

I think Bradley has solidified a spot. He's been solid the last two.

12. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Well it was a very young line-up, Donovan and Keller being the only regulars over the last cycle included, and it showed. Unfortunate but I'm not over concerned.

I think the issue with Dempsey is that he's simply not sharp. His strength is his decisiveness, and confidence. He knows what he wants to do, where he how he wants to do it, and then he just does it instinctively. Obviously having not played in a while he has lost the edge.

Its chicken and egg for Coleman, give the guy some time and he'll probably come along and find form continue to let him rot and he's not likely to.

As for the rest, Demerit, Conrad, and Spector were good. Some would disagree but Smiek didn't do much for me. Bradley and Fielhaber were good, Mapp is not national team material, and Johnson needs to be dropped now! He's had his chance over and over, the guy scored a mighty two goals all last season in MLS, he shouldn't be getting call-ins at this point.

13. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I didn't see the match last night, but based on everything that I saw, I think that Spencer is probably right about:

1. Deuce
    2. Mapp
    3. Bradhaber
    4. Eddie Johnson [or as ESPN had him last night in their write-up "Eddie Robinson"]

I think we need to give Simek more than one cap before giving up on him, however, and it doesn't look/sound like the defense had a lot to do last night.

Am I correct in assuming that Conrad and DeMerit were the CBs with Spector LB and Simek RB? That seemed the logical situation with Pearce injured.

14. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Don you are correct about the D's formation. Playing Gautemela here is always like a trip to the dentist...entertaining as root canal. Simek was solid if unspectacular, he certainly deserves another call-up, but he's not challenging Cherundulo anytime soon. Glad to see Spector healthy, I'm sure he wishes to have that wide open shot over again (brutal attempt). Deuce while not spectacular did have a hand in the 2 best chances of the night. Just an aside dug the new kits, just wished they had kept the blue shorts from Sun.

15. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I didn't think Mapp was all that bad. He could stand to get stronger on the ball, but the way Dempsey and Beasley have been playing lately, we are in need of some wingers with some speed and guts to take it at the opposing team.

Mapp still needs to get tougher physically and mentally, but remember, he is only 22 years old. He is still relatively young. He is just starting to get his chances in the national team. I think he warrants more call ups.

16. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

The saddest outcome of these two matches has been the knock that Heath Pearce took. He's a REAL left back and I've seen glowing report after glowing report. If he could have gotten 90 minutes in one of the matches, it would have done a lot to eliminate my concern -- trying to defend against, say, Portugal without a solid left back scares me to death. Not only that, a good solid showing against Ecuador might have gotten him out of Scandinavia and over to Germany or even England.

17. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

You are definitely a card-carrying member of the Heath Pearce Fan Club. Hell, I'm dissapointed I didn't get to see what all your fuss was about.

18. BoilerBen

BoilerBen New Member

When Bobby Convey gets healthy I think he'll be the true winger we lack right now!! He and Beasley could be real good for the MNT. Just if one of them could play the right wing! Last nights game was boring, however I was impressed with Bradley and Feilhaber. I like the young guns getting the chance to play and showing that they can play!!

Also, has Kenny Cooper been able to play a whole 90 yet?? I really want to see him get some extended time up front. Anybody know much about him? Am I wrong to want to see more minutes for him?

19. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Cooper's old man was a Brit and Kenny started off in ManUre's youth scheme. He did well in the reserves and in some loan situations, but eventually was released and he came back to the states.

He LOOKS clumsy because he's so effing big, but I think he's got game. He's strong enough to play with his back to goal, but he's also pretty lethal when he runs from fairly deep positions.

There's a lot of folks who don't rate him -- many of them post on this site -- but I think he's more of a legitimate potential international regular than many of the other forwards -- including Twellman, Conor Casey, and Preston Zimmerman. I'd put him a bit behind Ching in BMB's old role.

We have more potential at the penetrating forward -- Altidore, Johan Smith, even Jamal Johnson -- then we do at the big, holding forward. But I still think you need a traditional British-style centre-forward to succeed at the top flight and, with Ching in his early 30's, I think Cooper's the guy we've got to count on. Many would say Twellman [a fellow Terp], but although he plays the position with more skill than Cooper, he's not nearly big and strong enough to play it against top-flight central defenders.

Anyhow, hope that helps.

20. bostoncottage

bostoncottage New Member

Being a fellow Eagle, I'm totally biased, but what about giving Charlie Davies some run up front? He had a great collegiate career at BC and has proven to have a nose for the net on the U-18 and U-20 teams. After gaining some professional experience in Europe he could be another option for solving our striker woes as we get closer to 2010.