TV coverage of WCQ

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by HatterDon, Sep 22, 2009.

1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

There's a thread somewhere that included several posts complaining about the lack of coverage of the Honduras match in the US.

Well, on Saturday while watching the Burnley Network, the crawl indicated that BOTH USMNT WC qualifying matches will be shown live on ESPN2. This is good news, or am I just drinking that mediocrity loving koolaid again?

2. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

You may be
    , but at least it's from a diamond-encrusted chalis!!

3. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

It's good news regardless of the performance. Of course, if the performance is poor, you may wish it was blacked out after reading the fall out.

4. Jensers

Jensers New Member

5. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

"I'm not asking anybody," said HatterDon. "I'm just telling everybody. We can look for the North Pole, or we can play 'Here we go gathering Nuts in May' with the end part of an ants' nest. It's all the same to me."

6. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

'tis strange - no announcement on either ESPN or USSOCCER.com about the game being televised on ESPN2.

7. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

I guess we can't feel too bad about it. The Ukraine-England game isn't being televised in England, and they don't even have the bar-viewing option.

8. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Hmmm. I'm surprised. I was talking with a guy from Holland today and he said it is a law in Europe that national team games must be televised. No pay per veiw or closed circuit 20 th century television.

9. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I figured out this afternoon what happened. The ORIGINAL ESPN crawl read along the lines of "World Cup Qualifiers at Honduras (date) and v. Costa Rica (date), live on ESPN2"

Evidently, too many editors like me thought that the "live on ESPN2" meant BOTH matches. On this afternoon's match, they made it clearer that only the 2nd match is live on ESPN2. Sorry to have been confused and to have passed it along.

It's understandable though; according to this thread I've got hardly any brain left.

10. Jensers

Jensers New Member

Come on - You are sharp as a whip! (Imagine me smiling and elbowing you in the ribs)

I hate that this match isnt on... Someone - there must be an internet option out there!

11. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Vewing locations http://www.ussoccer.com/Community/USA-H ... tions.aspx

Ives posted a spanish broadcast list that was largaer. Still it is slim pickens. Why on earth would the company that bought the rights do this? Not only are there not that many locations but they wont have ad revenue.

12. Jensers

Jensers New Member

Great - I am in Idaho and there isnt a single place in the whole state. THIS IS SO STUPID!!!

13. jmh

jmh New Member

14. nmancini04

nmancini04 New Member