The Whites vs. The Black and White Stripes

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by jumpkutz, Mar 11, 2014.

1. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

Newcastle are 13-11 and 4, sit 8th in the table, have scored 37 and conceded 39. All this and more should be more than enough to earn 3 points during their annual visit to the Cottage unless:

1) Johnny Haynes scores a hat trick, assisted on all three by Clint Dempsey.
    2) Dempsey scores a brace for good measure.
    3) Brian McBride finds the net as well.
    4) Kasey Keller and the back four keep a clean sheet.
    5) And my son leads the North Oldham Mustangs to their first ever Sweet Sixteen berth at Rupp Arena tonight.

Since none of these is going to happen, we're sure to lose to the Toons. Unless........

Ah, screw it.

More brown ales for everyone!

2. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

Assuming, A BIG ONE I KNOW, that we don't completely screw the pooch we may have a chance. Here's why:

Newcastle are comfortably 8th, far behind the Europa chase, far ahead of the possibly-maybe-relegation scrap. They have zero to play for in the last few months.

Their manager just got suspended for 7(!!!) games. They have zero to play for and no manager.

They're playing on the road. I don't have stats for this, but at this point in the season a team with zero to play for, with no manager, on the road...advantage must go to the home team.

That said we'll probably get conked 4-0.

3. BarryWhite

BarryWhite Well-Known Member

I am going to go out on a limb here and guess that no team who has ever just had their manager suspended for seven matches and then had to go on the road has won that match. By factoring in Murphy's Law this must be true so Fulham can be the first home team to lose under those particular circumstances.

4. tim

tim Active Member

I'm sorry, but I have no faith remaining to suggest that we can beat anyone in this league.

Fulham will be the cure for what ails Newcastle, just as we were the cure for what ailed Cardiff, and Swansea, and Sunderland.

You're right that they have nothing to play for. But we're the ones playing like it.

5. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Great points by both Timmy and Tim. Have seen nothing in the Magath takeover to think that Newcastle won't come in with some very good skill players and tear us apart. Also have seen no evidence that Fulham will suddenly start scoring multiple goals per match that is needed since a clean sheet isn't likely any time soon. However, against all logic I'm going with a 2-1 victory.

While I don't see Fulham getting out of the mire, I would be willing to bet that everyone posting on fusa thought we were going down at this exact moment 6 years ago. With 13 matches left in 2008 Fulham was teetering and with 3 losses and a draw in the next 4 we were doomed. March 16, 2008 against Everton saw Simon Davies cross and Brian McBride finish for a 1-0 victory.

6. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

These are good points. And, if this squad could dig up the heart that Davies and McBride demonstrated when they wore the shirt I'd be more confident in survival. Obviously, it's not over for this campaign, but if Cardiff hung 3 on Fulham, then I'm afraid of what Newcastle can do with or without Pardew (with or without you....).

Still, until it's mathmatically impossible, COYW.

7. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I won't be in the chatroom for this one. I'm taking part in a talk show for musicians -- begging the question, who schedules a radio talk show for musicians at 0830 on a Saturday? I've DVR'd it, though, and will force myself to suffer through it. You people who do attend, keep Matt under control, will you?

8. dtowndough

dtowndough Active Member

We win this one. here's why. we win, and we're still in last place! that is all

9. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

+1 thanks for saving me the effort Tim

10. astroevan

astroevan Well-Known Member

Quotes from Magath: http://www1.skysports.com/football/news ... tadium-ban
    Keep working Magath... keep working.

As a player, I wanted to win every game and I'm sure that attitude is not any different from the professionals. I understand that the team has given up very easily on occasion this year, but I'm sure they understand their situation now. There's probably not a single one of them that would rather play in the Championship next year. So I don't quite understand the whole relegation fight argument. How differently would you play or game plan vs Newcastle if we were sitting 10th in the table?

11. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

I agree, Tim pretty much sums it up. I'd add Sheffield United to his list.

Last time Remy was out, Newcastle were held scoreless for 3 matches. Ring any bells from last week? So either Pappis Cisse will regain his form from last year (where one of his goals was against Fulham) or we'll turn Luke De Jong into Andy Carroll or Alan Shearer. De Jong has yet to score for the Toon, but he's 6'2" and good in the air and we have a bad habit of losing big men in the box this year. Coloccini returns to captain the side, so that's another threat from set pcs. However Debuchy is out at rb and he's been their best defender this season. If Richardson starts at lm (or even Kasami perhaps), we could find success attacking down our left.

I'll go with 1-2 and hope for better. Unfortunately, the most interesting thing about Fulham at this point is seeing what odd lineups Magath comes up with from week to week.

12. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

A clean sheet and a win!!! :eek: So this is how winning feels. I've missed that. :banana-dance:

13. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

:text-+1:

14. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I missed the last 20+ minutes. There was something wrong with the recording schedule. It began with 25 minutes of nothing but dead air.

Ah well, at least I saw all three goals -- including the one that counted.

Well done Stockdale for dealing with the totally useless Hangeland and Amorebieta in the lineup and still maintaining a clean sheet, and nice one Cauley Woodrow! Despite some of the worst passing I've seen from a Fulham side -- I'm looking at you Kvist -- we pulled it out.

Oh, we're still going down.

15. SoCalJoe

+2

16. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

:character-beavisbutthead: :banana-stoner: :greetings-clappingorange: :greetings-clappingyellow: :greetings-clapyellow: :happy-cheerleadersmileyguy: :happy-partydance: :laughing-rollingred: :eek:bscene-birdiedoublered: :romance-grouphug: :text-bravo: :text-bump:

17. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

18. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

:eek:bscene-drinkingbuddies:

Only 4 points from safety - hope exists after that clean sheet as well. I know Hangeland is captain, but man, he's lost a step or two the past few weeks and wonder if he's carrying an injury. It would be a difficult decision, but I think Magrath has to consider dropping him. Problem is, what's the central defender pairing if so?

COYW

19. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Heitinga & Burn. It's a shame we shipped off two perfectly serviceable CBs and left ourselves with a rapidly degenerating Hangeland and Amorebieta the Awful, or I'd say our best pairing is Hughes and Burn.

20. SoCalJoe

I think Brede is still carrying around a back issue, but gutting it out. I would agree the Heitinga and Burn would be our best combo. HD, also a huge admirer of Hughes, but he was dreadful his last year or so.