The SuperClassico!

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by BarryP, Apr 27, 2008.

1. BarryP

BarryP New Member

What a fun match to watch if you enjoy attacking football. In a game that featured end-to-end football the Galaxy defeated Chivas USA 5-2. I will be the first to say the defense for both teams was well beyond poor but there was enough clinical finishing in this match to fill a weekends worth of highlight reels.

Landon Donovan was ruthless in finishing his opportunities and walked away with a hat trick and an assist on the evening. He was simply the best player on the pitch bar none. The goals he provided might not have been the same quality as the titillating finish of the headed Beckham cross last weekend but the goalmouth must have looked like the proverbial broad side of a barn to Landon this evening. Quite frankly Landon looked like a class above everyone else on the pitch. The run that he started at midfield leading to Gordon's second goal should be shown to every youth soccer player in the US as the right way to play the game. Ruud Guilitt should send Patrick Ianni a thank you card for reminding Landon that he does have a competitive spine in that body of his.

Sacha Kljestan's strike in the first half for Chivas first goal was sensational. I know Xavier is not going to be in contention for MLS defender of the year but Kljestan ran at Xavier like he owned him and produced a spectacular shot that Cronin could only watch curl into the upper right hand corner of his goal. Lets hope he can bring that kind of finishing to the Olympics with him this coming summer.

On the downside what has happened to Brad Guzan over the winter. I know it must be discouraging to watch shot after shot hit the back of your own net because the defense in front of you is incapable of clearing the ball but Alan Gordon's first goal was entirely Guzan's responsibility. There is no way a keeper should be out leaped in the manner that Guzan was to allow that goal.

Beckham put in another good performance this evening with his usual quota of superb crosses but I was more impressed with his work rate tonight. He obviously does not possess the speed of Landon but he seemed to be working hard and made a good contribution on both ends of the pitch. The duo of Beckham and Donovan are going to be a handful for MLS teams this season. They have already developed a good understanding on the pitch as was demonstrated during the build-up leading to Alan Gordon’s second goal.

The atmosphere at the Home Depot Center sounded outstanding. If the MLS was taking notice this was a real Derby and they should do everything within their power to cultivate these kinds of rivalries.

2. Silas

Silas New Member

Well said, I agree with it all. It was a great game, and very entertaining. It makes the MLS look very good. They have come so far so fast.

Landon did look incredible. All he needed was just a smidge of daylight and he scored. I thought it couldn't get more impressive after his first goal (the left footed bouncer off the volley) but boy was I wrong.

I can only imagine how they'll look, offensively of course, when they get Carlos Ruiz back, especially now that Ruud Gullit has figured out that Landon belongs up front, not on the left wing.

3. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

I dont know if I've made it clear before but when you write a post that clear and 'professional', it's my option to post it on the home page as a 'Fan Talk' column.

Dont protest, you should have read the fine print when you signed up on FUSA.

- - - - - - -- - -
    In other action, Toronto FC has continued its claim to influence in taking contender Kansas City to the woodshed, 2-0, for its third win. While Houston remains winless, falling to the early surprise, Crew 0-1. The Crew remains atop the single table as the only team with 4 wins in 5 played.

Chicago, New England and DC also beat up on Western Conference opponents and the tables show it. If NY follows suit on Sunday, as they are expected to do, it will make an Eastern clean sweep for the week and the East will have amassed 64 points against 35 for the West.

Looks to be an interesting season to follow, once we no longer are holding our breath about Fulham's future.

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

well said Barry, Silas, and 'fog. My determination to watch more MLS this season was rewarded with 7 goals last night. Both Chivas and the Galaxy are poor in defense, but the Galaxy appear to be determined to be MLS's version of Tottenham. What a fun match to watch. What a great atmosphere there must have been in the HDC.

As for Donovan, he's finally playing for his club side as well as he plays for the USMNT. In 2008, he's been little short of brilliant in the RW&B. Now he's playing that way for Herbalife United as well. It is FUN to watch a supremely talented player who is also supremely confident.

Much fun. Oh, and 'fog. I agree. SIGN HIM UP!

5. pettyfog

um... I have to admit I fell asleep, after Gal's first goal. Full disclosure and all that.

From what I DID see, those slating Beckham as coasting into retirement are full of S@$%$t. I loved his scrappy playing and I have to think it's gonna be noted by Capello.

6. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Watching bits and pieces here and there, especially when it is past my eyelid's bedtime, I have noticed that the speed of our homegrown league seems to have picked up a bit, and that those who play at half speed or take a few minutes off while on the pitch will soon be risking their careers by doing so.

Not that I care. ;)

Landon Donovan Superstar by Mike Woitalla,
    Monday, Apr 28, 2008 6:45 AM ET

Much of the preseason excitement revolved around MLS newcomers from abroad - and they've been making their mark - but the brightest star so far has been Landon Donovan, now in his eighth MLS season and better than ever. Also performing brilliantly was prodigal son Amado Guevara in Toronto. For the weekend's MLS developments. ...

LANDON DONOVAN. A week after scoring twice against Houston, Donovan notched a hat trick - and added an assist - to lead the Los Angeles Galaxy to a 5-2 win over Chivas USA. Donovan now has a league-leading eight goals in five games. Against Chivas USA, Donovan scored his first with a 20-yard left-footed volley that bounced past keeper Brad Guzan. He gave the Galaxy a 2-1 lead when he shot on the slide with his right foot from 12 yards, and completed the hat trick with a low left-footed shot from 18 yards. VIDEO.

Donovan, who at 26 has already won three MLS titles -- two with San Jose and one with the Galaxy - scored 12 goals in his three most productive MLS seasons.

"I feel like I'm being more assertive and more aggressive," he said. "I think I'm reaping the benefits of that. In the past I got down on myself because I'm not aggressive and not taking shots. I know I have that ability. Lately in training I've been doing those things and it's transferring to the games and I'm going to keep doing it."

110. Chivas USA's Ante Razov scored his first goal of the season five minutes after entering the game against the Galaxy to up his career total to 10 past the century mark. VIDEO.

27,000. The crowd at the Home Depot Center for the Southern California derby between L.A. and Chivas USA -- an L.A. home game at the stadium the teams share - was one of three games this weekend to break the 20,000 mark. Toronto FC's 20,045 celebrated a win over Kansas City and 23,269 at RFK Stadium enjoyed D.C. United's rout over Real Salt Lake.

JAIME MORENO. The Bolivian veteran struck twice from the penalty spot to up his all-time league-leading scoring tally to 115 as D.C. United's 4-1 win over Real Salt Lake ended a two-game losing streak, which included a 4-0 loss to Salt Lake two weeks ago. Also on target for United was Santino Quaranta and Marcelo Gallardo, the Argentine DP who scored on a superb volley. It was Gallardo's second goal of the season. VIDEO.

100. Sigi Schmid celebrated his 100th MLS coaching win with the Columbus Crew's 1-0 win over defending champ Houston on a goal by Alejandro Moreno. It was Schmid's 21st win with the Crew - after 79 with the Los Angeles Galaxy, which he guided to the 2002 MLS title. Schmid is the second coach to hit the century mark. U.S. coach Bob Bradley compiled 124 wins with Chicago, the MetroStars and Chivas USA. The win improved the Crew's record to 4-1-0 and kept Houston the only winless team in the league this season. VIDEO.

JOZY ALTIDORE. The 18-year-old Red Bulls striker scored his second goal of the season and the 14th regular-season goal of his career when he iced the New York Red Bulls 2-0 win over San Jose. Altidore also drew the foul for the penalty kick that Mike Magee converted. VIDEO.

3. Toronto FC beat Kansas City, 2-0, for its first three-game winning streak ever. In its inaugural season of 2007 it didn't notch its third win until June.

AMADO GUEVARA. The 31-year-old Honduran scored Toronto FC goals, becoming the club's first player to strike more than once in a game. Guevara, who scored from close range and from a brilliant free kick, joined Toronto two weeks ago. The 2004 MLS MVP with the MetroStars, had moved to Chivas USA in 2007 but left the club after a fallout with Coach Preki. Guevara played in his native Honduras before returning and sparking Toronto's attack. "It was world-class, wasn't it?" TFC Coach John Carver said of Guevara's free kick. VIDEO

JOHN THORRINGTON. The 28-year-old Southern Californian, who had spent his pro career in Europe before joining the Chicago Fire in 2005, had played only 12 MLS games coming into this season. He matched his scoring output of his first three seasons with two goals to give the Fire a 2-1 win over Colorado. Thorrington's first goal snapped Chicago's 215-minute scoring drought dating to April 12.

7. EricD

EricD New Member

I received a last minute invite to go to the game, but my wife trumped me with a night out with her girlfriends. She has been diligently watching our 11 month old son, so it was hard to argue with her. I pleaded, but no dice. I have been getting the better end of the deal over the last 11 months with other games and fishing trips, but this was one of those karma things. I wanted to go so bad.

So, Joe and I watched it on FSC, and enjoyed every minute of it. Although he fell asleep by half, it was not for a lack of excitement. He falls asleep at that time anyway. I was extremely happy with the entertaining play of both teams. Poor defense leads to more offense. Xavier was responsible for both goals. Sacha had a brilliant shot, but Xavier allowed him to go inside to set up his right foot. Major tactical defensive error - force the player to the outside as well as onto his weaker foot. The second Chivas goal was the result of a poor clear by Xavier.

I feel for Guzan, but that Gordo goal was embarrassing. I imagine other clubs are going to lower the ante for him if this type of play continues.

I am glad to see that Christian has some positive things to say about the game. Beckham was working hard. He was hustling his tail off.

I told the wife that LD had a hat trick and Beckham played great. I told here that she owes me several games (I go high she goes low).

8. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

BarryP excellent summary. I watched most of the game and agree with your comments. As much as I think very few of us love Landycakes, he has certainly been very exciting to watch as of late. Did anyone notice that after one of his goals Beckham had his arm around him and 'cakes removed it. What was that all about?

9. pettyfog

I think perhaps when one reviews the situation, you answered both the statement and the question. Interesting.