The extent of Zamora's impact this season

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by SteveFakeBlood, Feb 20, 2010.

1. SteveFakeBlood

SteveFakeBlood Member

Broward County , FL (from DuPage County, IL)
    It's obvious to anyone who's paid a decent amount of attention to the Premier League this season that Bobby Zamora is having a great season, much less anyone who's paid any attention to Fulham whatsoever.

What I didn't realize is just how much- 7 Premier League goals and 14 in all competitions is not too shabby, but after noting that Fulham has won the last three games in all competitions and Zamora has scored in all three I decided to go through the season and see how Fulham fared when Zamora scores. Check out the results:

Premier League
    W 0-1 @ Portsmouth
    W 0-2 @ Hull City
    W 3-1 v. Liverpool
    W 1-0 v. Sunderland
    D 1-1 @ Burnley
    W 3-0 v. Man U.
    W 3-0 v. Burnley

7 goals, 6 Wins, 1 Draw in games in which he scores

Europa League
    W 0-3 @ FK Vetra
    W 3-1 v. Amkar Perm
    W 2-3 @ Basel (2 goals)
    W 2-1 v. Shaktar Donetsk

5 goals, 4 wins in games in which he scores

FA Cup
    W 0-1 @ Swindon Town
    W 4-0 v. Notts County

2 goals, 2 wins in games in which he scores

Overall in the 13 games Zamora has scored this season, Fulham has a staggering 12 wins, 1 draw and no defeats. Other than Rooney and Tevez, I can't think of a striker who's had more of an influence on his team this season (i.e. yes, other strikers have had better years: Drogba, Defoe, etc. but no one so impacts the result of the game by whether he scores or not and yes, he's gotten more opportunities to shoot given the injuries to AJ and Dempsey- but the numbers are still staggering).

~Steve

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

good analysis, Steve, and very little to argue with.

Expect a nasty note from Martin-in-Nashville telling you that you know nothing about football. 8)

3. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Thanks for putting together the stats Steve. I'd be curious to know how many assists he has also. Even the naysayers have to admit he has been terrific. There is a percentage of fans that will never warm up to him (a lot more than just Martin), and that's their perogative. However, the bottom line is with him the club is in the top 10, in the knockout stages in Europa, and 90 minutes away from Wembley. Without him the Whites would surely be fighting it out w/the relegation pack, and more than likely knocked out of the other competitions. Now that Clint has been out Bobby is easily my choice for the team's player of the year.

4. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Nice work Steve, I think I need to appreciate him more for what he can do aside from runs off the ball and tying up defenses. And damn, in the Man U game, I think Richie DeLaet is still having Bobby Zamora nightmares.

An interesting (to me) item is in the 2-0 win at the Cottage v. Man U last year, if Scholes doesn't suddenly try out for England's volleyball team, Zamora would have scored arguably the biggest goal of the season for the Ws.

5. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Oh, and Martin, if you think that Zamora is a waste of oxygen, keep your rants coming -- I disagree to a large extent, but I enjoy reading your opinion.

6. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

The match winner v Brum...Damn, Bobby is en fuego!!!

7. SteveFakeBlood

SteveFakeBlood Member

Broward County , FL (from DuPage County, IL)
    Yeah, make that 13 wins and 1 draw in 14 matches and his 4th game winning goal. I can't believe this guy...

~Steve

Edit: Make that 5 game-winning goals... amazingly, I forgot about Shaktar.

8. Martin-in-Nashville

Martin-in-Nashville New Member

Was you a journalist in your past life Don cos you really write and make up some shit sometimes.

9. Martin-in-Nashville

So Zamora scores the winning goal, pleased for the win and the result, lets hope he keeps it up!!!

10. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

OK, own up! Who stole Martin's log-in?

Just pulling your leg, Martin, but you have to admit, that post was at least cautiously optimistic in tone. A definite step up from your usual message.

11. Martin-in-Nashville

Hey everyone knows my opinion on Zamora, but if he scores goals like that on a regular basis I MIGHT just change my mind!!

12. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

I just remember cursing Chris Baird's turning oxygen into carbon dioxide for most of the 2007-08 season.

Times change.

13. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

I'm with Steve. Baird has given the club, and Jimmy Bullard, nothing but 100% effort over the past 2+ years and my animosity toward Baird has transformed to respect. Plus, I swear he developed more quickness over the past year.

Now, on to Zamora...he's simply class on the pitch this campaign. Hopefully his schoolyard spat with the supporters has run its course and he can enjoy the run in and a call-up for England. Seriously, put him in a squad with Lampard, Rooney, Gerrard, etc. and watch England score some goals. Right now, he's better than Heskey, Crouch, C. Cole, etc. Last season he couldn't hit the broadside of a barn with either foot or head, but he's firing on all cylinders now.

14. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member