Szetela = AS Roma..no, Brescia.. no, Newcastle!

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by Kickflip89, Aug 7, 2007.

1. Kickflip89

Kickflip89 New Member

from northjersey.com

Good luck to Danny!

2. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

RE: Szetela = AS Roma

Our U-20 showing apparently impressed quite a few. Good work, youngsters.

3. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

RE: Szetela = AS Roma

The story behind the story:

May be true ... or not!
    "...sources told the Herald News.."
    Means: Danny's Agent Shep Messing told old pal Ives Galarcep who, btw, can not be considered 'gospel' on anything to do with Szetela.

Here's the issue - Is Messing messing with us to try to get someone off the dime?

We'll have to wait and see.

4. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Interesting stuff. Its a better team than Lazio but will he find playing time there?

Fog why is it you don't like Ive's? I don't follow it real closely but it seems to me that Goff(combination of best writer and ability to break stories) is the best, Arroyoe in Chicago is second, and Ives would be third, but all are accurate most of the time, no?

5. dirtyboy

dirtyboy New Member

I hope this is true for Szetela's sake. However, Shep Messing has said some idiotic things in the past. Thus, I’ll believe it when I see it.

6. jmh

jmh New Member

Shep Messing went to Harvard. Of course he's an idiot.

Edit: In the interest of preventing false positives on people's sarcasm detectors, I should point out that I fucking DESPISE Harvard.

7. pettyfog

Anyone think the Szetela news has been hijacked?

No it hasnt. From the very beginning anything written about Danny's placement has been tainted by Galarcep's very 'homerish' statement that somehow Columbus had hijacked him and essentially taken him away from home team and 'mommy'.

even NOW, fecking idiot NY fans are saying that Columbus did nothing for him and he was somehow held hostage by MLS structure.
    Even saying that Sigi held him back. Au contraire.. Danny is NOW playing like a MAN, not a teen prodigy and THAT was what made him shine in the last WC.

Never mind we've never heard so much as a peep from Danny anywhere else that he didnt like it in Columbus. I said at the time that Danny would love it there. {Think Party-Central/ OSU coeds} and from all LACK of accounts to the otherwise, he DOES!

And the MOST amazing implication from the NY fans... that Danny would have thrived and developed quickly in NY. You GOTTA be Shitting ME!
    Read this again:
    'Danny Szetela would have thrived and developed quickly playing for the New York MetroStars!"

Yes, that's what some of them say.

Someone said Danny 'escapes' from the Crew.. why do I flash on "Tim Howard ESCAPES from NY"?
    - - - -- - - -- - - - - -- - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - -
    Now that my bile is at an acceptable level, again... I humbly point out that the 'supposed' good footy writer Galarcep was a little ahead of the curve. Isnt he a sportswriter/journalist? Isnt supposition and conjecture a job of us 'bloggers'?

THE DEAL IS NOT DONE and Danny is in no hurry!

And THAT is exactly what I meant when I said that his word couldnt be taken as gospel on any Szetela news.

8. pettyfog

Let this be a lesson...

The white hot 'discussion' on BS, between Columbus fans and those who believe what Galarcep writes concerning Szetela has gone to a bare simmer.

Why? Because Galarcep has a woody about Columbus and he pretty much made up the article based on 'talks'.

Notable is that Shep Messing is backing off the supposed statements he made as 'source' to the ledger's 'staff'... meaning Ives. Notable is that Danny himself has said in no uncertain terms that WHATEVER he is finishing the season in Columbus.

You can read that in between lines or whatever you want... that is NOT a player anxious to escape columbus ... what it IS in my view is a player who would like to re-up for another year. At better money of course.

And get this... now Ives does a comprehensive on Jozy Altidore's thoughts and aspirations for a move to Europe.

Read that carefully. Now read his article on Szetela again. Notice anything different? Like NO quotes from Danny?

Wonder why. Could it be that what Danny said didnt fit what Galarcep wanted to convey?

9. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

10. pettyfog

RE: Let this be a lesson...

But why lend that any more credence than what we read on 'Fulham rumours'?

Yes, Messing is in talks. Didnt say he wasnt. But what is a 'pre-contract'? It's an agreement to hold serious talks, right?

What do you think will happen if Danny has two good games between now and the 31st?
    Let me distill it down, again: Galarcep wrote as if it were all done but the signing. It isnt... from anyone's POV.

11. jorge11

jorge11 New Member

RE: Let this be a lesson...

i believe a "pre-contract" is like a letter of intent that high schoolers sign with colleges. to me, it means that Roma have an agreement to sign Szetela, but can't officially sign him to a contract because he is still under contract wtih MLS. once he is out of contract, Roma can sign him.

this is not unlike the agreement that MLS had with David Beckham while he was still with Real Madrid. he was tagged as a Galaxy player, but couldn't officially sign until his Real contract expired.

12. pettyfog

Galarcep puts the details on his blog

Say... arn't things turned around, here? That should be in the paper's site. The original on his blog.
    -but-
    NOW to stir the muck a little and keep himself marginal, he says Danny might leave before September 1st.

13. pettyfog

Update:

Well now it's Brescia who's talking to him.

Has to be noted that Shep Messing supposedly has said there's nothing imminent.

And, in that thread, you'll also note that Crew fans wish he would either play up to his potential or hurry up and leave, because at just about the time this started, he began to regress.

14. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

you know, you've got a talented coach and a talented player there, but some times even that combination doesn't work. There's a possibility that he'll have to move on to get to that potential.

15. pettyfog

No.. now it seems to be Newcastle

16. pettyfog

NOW it'sRacing..

Why does 'ten thousand monkeys at typewriters' come to mind.

17. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

C'mon 'fog -- stop insulting them monkeys! Your average sports "writer" hasn't evolved nearly as far as a monkey.

18. pettyfog

Sooner or later, Ives is going to get it right.. rather Danny will make a final choice.. THEN Ives will say 'told you so'.

He's worse than some bloggers.. oh wait. That's what he really IS.

19. pettyfog

Szetela exit saga ends.. for now

From the Dispatch:Szetela will race off,{to} Santander
    This in response to certain East Coast brainiacs who said Columbus couldnt make the most of his talents. Lately they point to Arena and Harkes as evidence of superior training staff, ignoring that neither were with NY at the time of the draft that took him to Columbus
    Under ordinary circumstances, that last line wouldnt appear in any article.

We can can thank Galarcep for making it necessary.
    - - - - - -- - - -- - - - - - -- - - - -- - - - - --

Again, for those with only a casual interest, this thread is about more than Danny.. it's about those who refuse to look at what's necessary for the health of the US soccer program, especially when their 'Home Teams' are involved.

For those of us who follow other teams, there's a certain satisfaction in exhaling that NY is finally living up to its 'Bigger Club' profile, even if we get beat out by them. Without the 'Big clubs' success, there's no long term future for the little ones like Columbus.

Writers like Galarcep who continually harped that NY would have been better for a young player, despite the obvious long-term incompetence displayed by the clubs management until it was bought by Red Bull, dont do a damn thing to improve the state of the sport in this country.

20. pettyfog

RE: Szetela exit saga ends.. for now

{H/t to Don who pointed out i buried the Santender lead}

Best of luck to Danny and here's hoping he makes that progress and we see him in the Men's team soon.