Striker McBride returns for Beijing

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by FFC007, Jul 21, 2008.

1. FFC007

FFC007 New Member

CHICAGO (Reuters) - Brian McBride, the 36-year-old former United States striker who is without a club, was handed a surprise place in their Beijing Olympics squad on Thursday.

McBride, who retired from internationals two years ago after playing in three World Cups, was one of three over-age players on the list for the under-23 event at next month’s Games.

The striker is currently looking for a club after playing in England’s Premier League with Fulham last season and said his Olympic chance came after a light-hearted joke.

“We had just finished a game against West Ham and (US international) Jonathan Spector was outside the locker room and (Olympic team assistant coach) Lubos Kubik was there with him.

“We all just started talking and all of a sudden Jonathan said jokingly: ‘Lubos, did you hear Brian wants to play in the Olympics?’ After a few more jokes I told Lubos that I would seriously consider it if he would.

“Then I threw it out as just talk at the time but a few days later (U.S. Olympic team coach) Peter Nowak called me. I was a little shocked but that’s really when it became an interest and a possibility,” he said.

Nowak was delighted to have the experience of McBride, an old-fashioned target man, at his disposal.

“He’s a great professional, a great guy to be around, he has lots of experience and it’s great to have a guy like that who has played World Cups,” Nowak told a conference call.

“I’m really pleased and thankful to him—we knew he’d retired (from internationals) and it’s good to bring him back. For his career this Games will be the cherry on the cake.”

Nowak had to juggle his resources to take into account the U.S. World Cup qualifier in Guatemala on August 20 but still named 12 full internationals including forwards Freddy Adu and Jozy Altidore plus midfielder Michael Bradley, son of U.S coach Bob.

Goalkeepers: Brad Guzan (Chivas USA), Chris Seitz (Real Salt Lake)

Defenders: Patrick Ianni (Houston Dynamo), Michael Orozco (San Luis), Michael Parkhurst (New England Revolution), Nathan Sturgis (Real Salt Lake), Marvell Wynne (Toronto FC)

Midfielders: Freddy Adu (Benfica), Michael Bradley (Heerenveen), Maurice Edu (Toronto FC), Benny Feilhaber (Derby County), Stuart Holden (Houston Dynamo), Sacha Kljestan (Chivas USA), Danny Szetela (Brescia)

Forwards: Jozy Altidore (Villarreal), Charlie Davies (Hammarby), Brian McBride (no club), Robbie Rogers (Columbus Crew)

2. Coog

Coog New Member

Fortunately there is no "total years" requirement of the 3 over-aged players. Like you could have 3 over-age players totalling 80 or something to that effect. Brian would have blown that to bits. 8)

3. shinerbockguy

shinerbockguy New Member

Looks like McBride is wearing number 17 for the Olympic team - looks wierd....

4. shinerbockguy

shinerbockguy New Member

Looks like McBride is wearing number 17 for the Olympic team - looks wierd....

5. sublicon

sublicon New Member