Review: SopCast Video Streaming - {re: Arse-Fulham}

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by pettyfog, Aug 23, 2005.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

{thanks to Eddie on the Offal}

www.sopcast.org

A P2P streaming gadget that has scheduled the StarSport telecast of the fulham/arsenal game.

Go to the Website and read all the doc... looks on the up and up to me... meaning it is 'green' - no registry intrusion.
    Easy to install for anyone who has done unzip before

However, when I FIRST tested it, I was disappointed. The startup was extremely slow and showed long periods of buffering while the ticker on sopcast popup showed same periods of inactivity.. both down and up-stream.

Since this is file-sharing technology; I assume the more users, the better the quality but the only decent video I could get was on the "SportItalia" (27 users at the time)... not too jerky, fairly seamless.. after about 5 minutes.
    Which is what showed as delay from time I deselected the channel until WMP stopped

If the Wed game works this well, it's worth trying

A littl econfusing as to which 'channel' the game will be on... either espn or starsport. Star Sport listing says ESPN

2. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

RE: Review: SopCast Video Streaming - Live action

Petty, how about giving us a review after tomorrow's game with a thumbs up or thumbs down?

3. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, I have to work
    :(
    But, I've done some research on the net and looks like no one has listed security complaints.. and I'm watching BBC World, as I write and it is seamless.

4. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Nice. Well, perhaps I will give it a shot.

5. EddieWhite

EddieWhite New Member

Arsenal v Fulham Game - Streaming Update

It would appear, from information on the www.asiaplate.com site that our game tonight is only being shown on ?Livesports? and they provide a link from their schedule.

To be able to receive Livesports you, apparently, have to register.

Go to ?Home Page? of www.asiaplate.com and click on ?Forum? printed in white on the black bar at the top of the page.

Scroll down the various forums until you see ?Program?.

Click on ? ?PPLIVE - PPSteam - Cool Streaming?

Look for ?livesport.co.il registration guide? ? It?s about six topics down the list.

Click on that and you will see full illustrated instructions regarding registering for livesports. It is completely free of charge!

Asiaplate are usually pretty reliable with their info as they usually do not include games in their live schedule until they have been, absolutely, confirmed.

Other streaming sites such as http://www.freefootball.uk.tt/ are still showing the game as being on other channels ? i.e Arsenalfc - Fulhamfc Star Sports (SOPCast, PPlive), EPL (PPlive).

I have watched some games on Livesports earlier this summer and the quality was well above average!

You will find another link to Livesports at - http://gportal.hu/portal/stream/ and they also include our game in their schedule for today!

Just click on "PROGRAM / UPCOMING PAGE" in the menu on the left and you will see the game scheduled for Livesports 1.

It would seem, from the asiaplate.com live schedule that Star Sports on SopCast are now showing the Blackburn v Spurs game.

I hope you see this update in plenty of time.

Best regards and COYW

6. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

RE: Arsenal v Fulham Game - Streaming Update

Thanks a lot Eddie!! Much appreciated!

7. james2

james2 New Member

ah... you knew about Coolstreaming already... damn :p

8. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

I'm not sure, but I might have picked up a virus on my computer from that http://www.freefootball.uk.tt site. Lots of popup ads seemed to have flood my computer. It's fixed now, but just giving everyone a heads up. It didn't happen until I clicked on their fftv link--but who knows it might have come something else?

9. james2

james2 New Member

could be spyware mate- do you use internet explorer?

10. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

no, I use firefox. It's gone now.