Restrictions on Ownership?

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by quickdraw, Oct 10, 2007.

1. quickdraw

quickdraw New Member

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/s ... index.html

Will someone please explain to me what this article is talking about. Is Blatter basically stating he doesn't want one sole owner of clubs? And how does Granda 74 or whatever BUY another team?

This is some pretty shotty reporting, me thinks.

2. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

He wants to prevent a single owner from owning multiple teams in the same country (ala the MLB system of major league and minor league).

3. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

I think the aim is to stop an owner 'buying his way up'.

Example would be buying a lower Div team with good facilities and attendance then taking over a club in a division two steps up, with good players and bad facilities that's in receivership and moving that into the first grounds under the original name.

Let's say the AAA Columbus Clippers stadium plans fell through and the owners of the A Dayton Dragons took them over and moved them to Dayton under the Dragons name. Instant elevation to AAA for the Dragons... and no problems with attendance, they're already pretty full.

4. Fern72

Fern72 Member

WOW! That's pretty sneaky, how often does that really happen.