Poland v. USMNT

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by HatterDon, Mar 19, 2008.

1. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

I think he's just a glutton for punishment. I mean Golden State, the Philles, Fulham, AND Poland. We just win too many games, thats the problem. He can't support teams that win too many games.

2. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I had a good laugh at this one. If and when one of the above teams wins a title I will really appreciate it.

To answer Mo's question, yes it mostly because of my wife. However, I have been to Poland three times in the last four years and I have always felt welcomed there by not just my wife's family, but the people of Poland as well.

Additionally, Poland has not been the greatest in soccer over the last 20 years. In the 70's and early 80's they had some strong teams but that is long past. This team fights for everything they get. Qualifying for the World Cup and the European Championships is an accomplishment in an of itself for Poland. I often times go to a Polish bar with my brother-in-law to watch the big qualifying matches here in Chicago. It is quite the atmosphere.

This is not to say I want the US to do bad, but supporting the US at times can be dull. The reason for that is because of the lackluster CONCACAF. Qualifying for the World Cup is a foregone conclusion and while the Gold Cup produced a great final last summer, it pales in comparison to the European Championships. Thus, the US has very few meaningful matches in between World Cups.

I will always support and cheer on the US in all matches except for Poland. I love my country and all, but in this case Poland needs me more than the US needs me. I guess it is just my nature to cheer for smaller teams and countries where winning is not always a foregone conclusion. If anyone is offended by my cheering for Poland I apologize.

3. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

What you should have said is if anyone is offended by my rooting for Polska, find another board on which to post your silliness!

I'm just waiting for a mea culpa for liking Crystal Palace. Yeesh.

4. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

European based squad... Should be interesting to see how they perform against a quality side like Polska.

The US could, not saying they will, get throttled by Polska. This is a side afterall that topped Portugal in their Euro '08 qualifying group.

Need something to lift my spirits. US 3-1 Polska.

Anyone going to be in the chat room today? Unfortunately I have to work and will look to catch the replay.

5. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

You will not get it from me because outside of Fulham, Palace is my favorite team. Cheers to that Steve!

6. Team_of_McBrides

Palace... of all clubs, Palace.

Tom, did you lose a bet?

7. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Yeah; had he won the bet, he'd be supporting Luton Town! :shock:

8. BarryP

BarryP New Member

Hey lay off the Eaqles! Remeber if it weren't for Crystal Palace we wouldn't have had the pleasure of watching the Shefki Kuqi this year.

9. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

10. BarryP

BarryP New Member

OK, since when did we become the red, white and anthracite?

11. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Crystal Palace... Talk about going home with the ugliest girl at the dance...

12. EricD

EricD New Member

Excerpt from an article on ESPN (this bums me out):

Bradley's assessment of Feilhaber's situation was blunt to say the least.

"He has to grow up," the coach said of the 23-year-old midfielder. "He has to mature as a player. He has to understand, day in and day out, how to earn the respect of the people he plays with."

Bradley went on to add that Feilhaber's omission from the Olympic team was down to form and fitness, but he also said that the player's success this past summer at the Gold Cup, when he scored the winning goal in the final against Mexico with a sublime volley, had caused him to lose his focus. That Feilhaber has played in 15 national team games while making only 20 appearances at club level the past three seasons would appear to bear this out, as does the fact that, in the past year, he has failed to make much of an impression on four head coaches.

"You never want to take away anything from a player at a moment when he's achieved something or when the team has achieved something," Bradley said of Feilhaber's Gold Cup performance. "But it is incredibly important that the bigger picture is still there. In that regard, the growing process for Benny needs to include all of this.

"I'm hopeful that, as difficult as I'm sure it was to not get named to the team for qualifying for the U-23 tournament, that he can again see the bigger picture of everything that's happened and realize that we still think there is potential. And that in the long run, with continued work and improvement, he can grow and help the team."

Bradley added that these are things he has discussed with Feilhaber at length, but when asked whether the message had been received well, the U.S. manager would say only, "We'll see."

13. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Ouch. I heard the rumors that he wasn't very professional at Derby, but I didn't put too much stock in them until I read this. Hope he learns to fly straight.

14. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

It is rather simple. When I went to Fulham in 2005 my brother and I wanted to see as many Premiership stadiums in London in one day. My wife had become a semi-Palace supporter that season as they were at the foot of the table and she always cheers for the small teams.

Thus, my brother and I went to Selhurst Park and were treated great. They let us onto the pitch the day before Manchester United was coming to town. They talked with us near the pitch and were very warm and welcoming on us. No other clubs were like this. That is why I like Palace.

15. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Good story, I have to say.

That's one reason I like soccer -- good luck getting a team like the Indians or any NFL team to do the same.

16. Team_of_McBrides

They sucked you in.

I prefer the 'losing a bet' story. Now I feel sympathy and remorse for my comments earlier.

Any predictions today Tom?

I am guessing my family's homeland (Polska) will probably get a 2-1 result over the yanks. Hope not though, considering this is quite close to the USMNT top choices.

17. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I am going with a draw. Either 0-0 or 1-1. Although during the Beenhakker era Poland has fared well in friendlies. In managers before Beenhakker Poland never did well. Watching them play in friendlies and meaningful qualifiers usually showed two completely different teams. Beenhakker has them playing with intensity and energy in every match the team plays. I like that.

18. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Good for Bradley! Another reason he was the right choice.

Since the game really means nothing...I'm gonna go far out on the limb and say US 4-1, Poland loses concentration.

19. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Defo "good for Bradley." Benny is the goods, but he has to learn what Mays learned, what Payton learned, what Jordan learned, and what McBride learned: when you're really gifted in a sport, you have to WORK HARDER than those who aren't. It may seem counterintuitive, but that's what made all four of those gentlemen great instead of just good.

Let's hope Bradley got through to him. We don't need another Clint Mathis.

20. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Interesting about Benny. It will also be good to see how Bradley does in such scenarios.

Every time I see Poland play they look slow and stogy. Providing the US puts forth an average performance in the middle and back I can't see Poland having more than a goal in them. If the US is to lose this it will have been as a result of a poor performance, if they show some attacking prowess with Demps, Johnson, and Donovan they'll win.

USA 3-1