NHL Playoffs

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by tim, May 17, 2013.

1. tim

tim Active Member

Well, we're off in the second round of the NHL Playoffs. My Kings scored twice in 22 seconds late in the game tonight to beat the Sharks and take a 2-0 series lead.

Elsewhere a couple great Original 6 matchups with Detroit/Chicago and Boston/Rangers.

Nev - I know where you stand on this one. But anyone else have a horse in this race?

2. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

I know Jim and I are pulling for the B's.

3. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

OK, I'll admit it, I'm "that person". You know, the one who hasn't watched a minute of hockey since last season when the local team went on a run and won the Stanley Cup. I'm ashamed to say that yes I'm a Bandwagon Biiiaattcchh :oops: . My brother-in-law is a hardcore Kings fan, and got me to the sports bar for Game 2 between the Kings and Sharks (of course, cold beer was a nice side benefit). The Champs look they could be on another magical run as they scored twice in the last 2 minutes of the third period to go from losing to a 2-0 series lead.

4. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

:angry-banghead:

Sharks did well to get back in it, but the penales at the end were killer; 5 on 3 is a death sentence. Quick is looking to be on a Cup-type of run at the moment and the Sharks better step up. I listened to most of the game on the radio - nothing beats baseball, but a good hockey radio-call is awesome.

I'm hoping the fight back and last minute collapse don't sink the Sharks.

5. sacffc

sacffc Well-Known Member

I've tried many times to get excited about the Sharks, but it seems like every time I do, they fold in the playoffs again. I hope they can prove me wrong this time.

6. jimsig

jimsig Active Member

You got that right :D

7. SoCalJoe

The Champs had to get home and regain the series lead v San Jose. Have to think this one is going 7.

8. tim

tim Active Member

And the Kings get the job done in 7. Wings or Hawks up next (that's sure to be a heck of a game 7 tomorrow night). Pittsburgh-Boston back East. Not much in sports can beat playoff hockey.

9. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

Since the Leafs blew that 4-1 lead late in the 3rd and lost the series to Boston, I've barely watched any of the playoffs. Hurts too much.

10. nevzter

the kings are the champs for a reason - they simply choked off the sharks (and they have quick, which is nice).

11. jimsig

jimsig Active Member

12. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Let's go Bruins!

13. SoCalJoe

Being of Czech descent I would joke w/my wife that if we had a boy we should name him after Czech hockey star Jaromir Jagr (of course Jaromir Shields doesn't exactly flow :roll: ). This was back in the early 90's, and look who is back in the Stanley Cup Finals after 21 YEARS since his last trip...none other than Jaromir Jagr :shock: 41 years young and still playing :bow-yellow:

14. tim

tim Active Member

I think I saw on ESPN that this is is the longest gap between finals appearances in the history of any of the major professional sports.

I still haven't quite recovered from West finals, so it may be a bit painful to watch, but I'm going to try to tune in. For what it's worth, the Hawks are scary good.

15. jimsig

jimsig Active Member

It was great to hear my hometown get a shout out during the game tonight. As they came back form a commercial break in the second they had a John Hancock promo, and Doc Emerick says "Braintree, Mass own John Hancock" Not sure who fed him the line or he knew it, but good job.

16. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

What a loss last night for the B's. :cry:

If people are complaining about the NBA final schedule, the Stanley Cup finals are just as bad, if not worse. Although with the triple OT game, 2 day rest might not be so bad. But it could take 2 weeks for final series in hockey, really? I hate these schedules.

Game 2: Saturday, June 15, Boston at Chicago, 8 p.m., NBCSN, CBC, RDS

Game 3: Monday, June 17 Chicago at Boston, 8 p.m., NBCSN, CBC, RDS

Game 4: Wednesday, June 19, Chicago at Boston, 8 p.m., NBC, CBC, RDS

* Game 5: Saturday, June 22, Boston at Chicago, 8 p.m., NBC, CBC, RDS

* Game 6: Monday, June 24, Chicago at Boston, 8 p.m., NBC, CBC, RDS

* Game 7: Wednesday, June 26, Boston at Chicago, 8 p.m., NBC, CBC, RDS

17. nevzter

I watched this game off and on from the beginning of the 3rd to the 3rd OT as I was working. Classic playoff hockey. I enjoy me some hockey and this game didn't disappoint. The legs were quite heavy on each side by the end, understandably so - and a double deflection seals the winner?!? :shock:

18. jimsig

jimsig Active Member

As a die hard Bruins fan as I am, I had to call it a night after regulation, 430am comes early. Though if it's a deciding game I am sure to watch. I could not believe it when I woke up this morning to see it had gone to 3OT's. Both teams played great and I think this game is destined to be an instant classic.

19. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

I swear the professional leagues are trying to sleep deprive the east coast. Too bad little kids won't be able to enjoy some of the action either. My son is in bed at 8. :(

20. SoCalJoe

Totally agree, it's ridiculous for you Easterners. We are spoiled out here on the left coast (I'll take having to make a pot of coffee at 6 AM for a Fulham match, as opposed to having to watch a game until midnight and beyond). The NBA game didn't start until 9 PM EST, and MLB are the worst. Not too much you can do about 3 overtimes, but 7:30 EST should be the latest they start events in order to get the next generation watching.