NFL offseason thread

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by FFC24, Mar 1, 2010.

1. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

The combine is going on and free agency starts soon so I figured I would start an offseason thread. So far here's the biggest news in the last few weeks.

Peppers is going to be a free agent: Not really a surprise, but he would be the biggest defensive line signing in a long time.

Tebow had a good day at the combine: He tied the highest vertical leap for a QB and was one of the best in the 40 yard dash. Not only did he show he's a great athlete, but he also had a good interview.

Brian Westbrook and Tomlinson released: Sad to see great careers start to end, but both of these players are clearly on the downside of their careers. Hopefully they can find another team.

There was other news, but these 3 are the biggest stories I think. Hopefully we can keep the thread updated with news as it looks like we could have a great draft and free agency.

2. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

Now that I talked about the news, I feel like talking about the Bears. We will probably be busy during the offseason, but I'm not so sure that's a good thing. I'm not too happy with all the talk about Olsen possibly being traded. Martz doesn't use tight ends, but we still shouldn't trade a potential elite tight end in the hopes that Martz can help Lovie keep his job. Frankly, I think Lovie is fired after this year along with everybody else, including Angelo. These people will find other jobs, but while they're doing that, Olsen is being a pro bowler somewhere else. Keep Olsen and make Martz use him.

This is the exact problem with keeping Lovie. The guy can't coach and now we're going to do everything possible to win so everybody keeps their job. Lovie will find a way to fuck things up and will be fired and Bears fans will have to live with shit decisions. We need to make smart decisions, not go for it all decisions.

We are being linked to Peppers. I would love to have him, but would he want to come here? We have the cash and hopefully he is our #1 target as we need a pass rusher.

3. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

Busy day for the Bears. First we found out that we signed the TE with the long name that I'm not even going to attempt to spell(Brandon is his first name), then the news rolled in that Chester Taylor signed and finally Peppers signed.

The TE signing means we will shop Olsen around the league. Brandon is a blocking TE and fits into Martz' system. Maybe Martz will fit Olsen into the system, but I doubt it.

Taylor provides a great backup option to Forte. We have a good 1-2 punch now and hopefully we get some o-line help as well.

Peppers is going to make our shit passing coverage look amazing. Great signing.

In other news, Vanden Bosch and Burleson signed with the Lions!, Brandon Marshall will probably sign an offer sheet with the Seahawks and Antonio Cromartie was traded to the Jets.

4. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

Jay Cutler just threw another interception as I was typing this.

5. IanHux

IanHux New Member

The NFL offseason, the only time when NFL action isn't interrupted for 20 minutes straight of commercials.

6. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

NFL draft ratings

Let me preface this by saying I don't watch drafts of any sports (I will do a driveby with the clicker and see who my team picked). However, on a night in which both Kobe and LeBron were playing in their respective playoffs series, the NFL draft nearly TRIPLED hoops. I guess people can't get enough of Mel Kiper's hair.

7. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

RE: NFL draft ratings

I thought ESPN's coverage was AWFUL this year. NFL Network was much better.

Jon Gruden was the only person on ESPN I liked this year, but he loved every pick. If he was on facebook, he is that annoying friend that "likes" everything and joins 342342234 different groups like "Fans of dunking oreoes in milk".