New York Times on Clint

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by HatterDon, Jan 3, 2012.

1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

2. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Thanks for posting Don

Good luck to Donovan at Everton, but god bless Clint Dempsey, Brian McBride, and Fulham Football Club. Also dont forget Boca and Keller

3. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

And Eddie Johnson!!! :banana-dance:

4. Clevelandmo

Only until you've graduated to a higher status. Then lets forget about him

5. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Happy Eddie Johnson Post, nevzter!!!! :eek:ccasion-balloons:

6. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Couldn't agree more with this section of the article. I remember making this point to a Fulham supporter on a travel bus up to Aston Villa before the club signed him...I think it was 2007? I told the biggest pluses to Dempsey's game was his feistiness and his knack for being in the right place at the right time for goals. Glad he's getting the recognition he deserves.

7. CarolinaTim

CarolinaTim New Member

NY Times wants me to accept their cookies before I can read the article. Two times LOL.
    I had seen CD play in MLS, and liked his style. Then when Bruce Arena brought the UVa Alumni team..um, sorry I mean the US National Team to Cary's SAS Soccer Park to train, and play Jamaica in a friendly in '06 in the buildup to the Mundial, I saw Clint in person for the first time. Granted it was as a sub, either because Arena somehow missed his talent or had some other unknown reason...I'm sure Don or the rest of y'all have an opinion on this.(Please share!) For me, and I know it was just the reggae boys, but even compared to most of his USMNT teammates, he was a man among boys with his skill, vision, and soccer IQ.
    I'm happy he's getting the respect he deserves.
    My point of reference for CD is always Tab Ramos who I was fortunate enough to play against. BTW, he almost broke my neck, he went by me so fast...
    Keep up the good work, Clint, and best of luck!!

8. Clevelandmo

Okay so all I really want to say is please tell the story about playing against Tab Ramos.

9. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Demps is class. God bless him for Fulham.

And, please share the Ramos story- inquiring minds want to know.
    COYW

10. CarolinaTim

CarolinaTim New Member

At NCSU, there's a field where the soccer crowd gathered to play pickup every day. I'm sure it's the same in every town. Some days it'd be 14 v 14, some days it'd be 4 v 4. There'd be American and Canadian college boys and girls(I remember this girl named Charmaine Hooper who went to NCSU and played for the Canadian National Team and scored a lot of goals and had a great smile), African fellas I enjoyed getting to know, lots of Central and South Americans, and many Europeans. My favorite one was a 60ish year old Hungarian brother who proved with his frequent appearances, and passing ability, what a great game it is we love.
    So, it the late '80s, I'm 29 or 30 and have play'd in college and been player/coach of a top level club team for quite a while. I just remember that day it was 4 v 4, and one of the other 4 was Tab Ramos. So early on, there he is in front of me with the ball. I'm thinkin' I'm ready, I'm on my toes...and before I can blink, he's by me, and I'm like, damn, I guess that's what world class is...Regardless, he was/is a great guy and I'm blessed for having met him. So there you go...
    I'm just so happy that a player worthy to be mentioned in the same breath as Tab plays for the Mighty Whites.

11. Clevelandmo

:lol: I'm not so sure about that Tim. Otherwise we might have won a WC by now. Count yourself as lucky to be living where you do.

Great story though. Thanks for sharing. I didnt know your soccer background as a player and coach. Whitesbhoy, BarryP, and I use to share thoughts on youth soccer. One of these days I may bring the subject up again as I am getting deeper and deeper into it with each day. I'd love it if you'd join the discussion with your opinions and ideas.

12. CarolinaTim

CarolinaTim New Member

Sounds great! I'll look forward to it!

13. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Tab Ramos is still, for me, the closest to a world-class outfield player we've had in the USA. What a brilliant player; how sad that we lost so much of him due to injury.