MLS to expand to 18 teams by 2011

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by Bradical, Jul 25, 2008.

1. Bradical

Bradical Member

So,

Seattle in 2009
    Philly in 2010

and two teams in 2011 likely from the pool of:

St. Louis, Atlanta, Las Vegas, Montreal, a second team for New York, Ottawa, Portland, Vancouver

Thoughts? Predictions? Good for the league?

Although I think that the NBA and NHL have made poor expansion decisions - I think this is good for the MLS. I think that St. Louis and Vancouver will win the franchises.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/25840079/

2. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

My vote is for St. Louis. Second team would be Portland or Vancouver

3. quickdraw

quickdraw New Member

I like the idea of St. Louis and Vancouver. We can all agree that Toronto has been quite a success. And as Steve Nash pointed out during the MLS All-Star game, that if they can replicate the atmosphere and following Toronto has, they would be a wise choice.

And St. Louis is just a sound choice.

As long as it isn't Vegas. The misses is from there, and she says that Vegas just does not support it's local teams. I would hate to see any more clubs get started and go bottom up. We are to the point when we don't need those kinds of risks and set backs.

4. BarryP

BarryP New Member

Pretenders

Atlanta - I don't see a team here before some of the other choices due to the lack of synergy from any pre-existing rivalries.

Las Vegas - In the summer! Are we playing indoors?

Ottawa - Sorry but I don't think Ottawa carries the international cache the MLS is seeking.

Contenders

I think that from a business point of view the MLS will probably add one team in Canada/Northwest and one in the Midwest/East.

Portland, Vancouver & Montreal - Each city would instantly have a regional/national rivalry and all three have successful USL franchises. The MLS does like celebrity power and Steve Nash and Vancouver get the nod as the front-runner in my opinion.

St. Louis & New York II - Both of these cities create instant regional rivalries. St. Louis is the cradle of American soccer but I think New York will get the nod if they pull together a grass roots supporters group like Philly did. The TV ratings pull and creating an actual local Derby is probably more temptation than the MLS can resist.

Personally I would like to see St. Louis and Portland get the franchises but from a purely business sense I doubt they are the best choices.

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

St. Louis must have a team. I can't believe we've gone on so long without them. The area has always been a hotbed of soccer; there should be great support.

I like the idea of Vancouver also. They'd have two natural rivals -- Seattle and Toronto. They've got Steve Nash. What's not to love.

The WORST possible choices are New York II and Las Vegas. It's bad enough that we're talking about having a Super Bowl and a Final Four there. What in the name of Pete Rose is MLS thinking about considering a side in the national headquarters of sports gambling. New York II would just reinforce ESPN's concentration on all things Boston and New York.

I would have said Atlanta -- for me the worst "major league" sports town in America in terms of "support" -- but I'd kind of like the Dirty Whites to have a second side to get excited about.

I guess Cleveland is no longer on the charts. Sorry, Mo and Steve. I was rooting for you.

6. martin

martin New Member

Ouch! Sad but true on the local support. Atlantans are fair weather fans at best when it comes to the pro teams. The ATL will probably get an MLS team now that I am leaving town :(

7. BC

BC New Member

I've been wating for STL to get a team for quite some time. I never really connected with the Fire for whatever reason. So, obviously, my first vote is for St. Louis.

I think another Canadian team would be good as well. Vancouver sounds perfect.

8. BarryP

BarryP New Member

Don, if you are the Don does the phrase "ESPN's concentration" scare you at all?

9. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

tee hee.

Whazzup with bc's avatar?

10. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

We've been slimed!!!!

11. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

Why the hell would MLS even consider another MLS team in NYC? What, the 50 Red Bull fans too much for them??

I like STL, and anyone else but Las Vegas really. Portland probably won't get one, Atlanta doesn't deserve it (but probably will get it because its a big market), and its a crap-shoot between Montreal and Vancouver.

My only hope is that the league will go to a SINGLE TABLE, playing each team TWICE, and be like EVERY OTHER LEAGUE. I'm sick of these meaningless games that, even though its almost August, are still pretty meaningless.

12. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Cleveland was told by Boss Garber that if we get a stadium together, we have a team. Of course, he has doubtlessly told that to about 25 other cities. If we drag our feet, than we don't deserve it.

NYII is a terrible idea, as bad an idea as St Louis is good. I am amazed that St Louis doesn't have a team yet, now that I think of it.

And yes, how about no further expansion after 18 teams, and a single table too. Relegation is also a necessity in a few years, as soon as we figure out how to do it.

13. SamStej

SamStej New Member

I like the idea of relegation, but I think that before it could be put into place the league needs to become far more established. I am not sure if teams have strong enough fan bases right now to survive a relegation, I mean if say Kansas City were to be relegated (simply hypothetical here) would any fans stay with them in a lower division? Probably not too many. I hope one day that the MLS will be able to do this but I'm thinking it won't happen any time in the near future.

St. Louis needs to be one of the two cities though

14. Clevelandmo

BC you've allowed a massive amoeba to invade the site. . . for the love of god send it over to Chelscum

15. Clevelandmo

BC you've allowed a massive amoeba to invade the site. . . for the love of god send it over to Chelscum

16. terrinh73

terrinh73 Member

Hatter Don:
    Yeah- our city is full of fair weather fans (unless you count college football...then it's close to religious zealotry), but we do have loads of footie followers. We have a USL club (the Atlanta Silverbacks) who, sadly, struggle for significant support (I am guilty of not being as behind the 'backs as I should be...Jacob is their number one supporter, I believe). I would love an MLS team here, but I don't think it would serve the cause very well.

And we had a team here once...anyone remember the Atlanta Chiefs?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlanta_Chiefs

Oh well...
    -Ters

17. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I remember them well Terri, and I remember Phil Woosnam's determination to make the NASL work. Sigh.

18. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

I say it should be Montreal. Already have a 12k to 13k USL base which would grow exponentially with MLS i believe and the French would be a nice element to throw in the mix. Vancouver could be good as well, but there stadium sitch appears really complicated.

I also agree with others sentiments about Vegas, Atlanta, New York 2, and Ottawa.

19. Coog

Coog New Member

I was only half listening to the interview with Garber at the MLS all star game, but I thought he prominently mentioned Montreal and Vancouver. But like I said I was only half listening ... the other half was chomping on pretzels. :roll:

20. fulhamfaninMS

fulhamfaninMS New Member

From the word I have heard in the STL area is that the the city of Collinsville, IL (just outside of STL) already is in the process of building a soccer only stadium that would hold around 18,500. MLS commish has pretty much said once all the ownership questions have been answered...St. Louis will have a team. Both the MLS and the womens pro soccer team would play in this stadium. here is a little link to the st. louis site dedicated to bringing a team in. http://www.stlouissoccerunited.com/