Landon Donovan

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by Clevelandmo, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Interesting interview with Donovan, worth a read. Retirement still seems a real possibility.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/blog/_/name/espnfcunited/id/1276?cc=5901

This quote from the interview is for Hatter. I know he'll like it.

2. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Interesting interview, and now that the US has gotten into the Hex, you would have thought the appearance of the finish line on the horizon would have gotten him motivated. However, it sure doesn't seem like it. Maybe too honest at times, because he has his Landycakes moments (whining about promoting the sport), but he sure wasn't hiding anything.

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I do; I agree.

4. SoCalJoe

Interview with Foudy, dude sounds like he's burnt out and done for awhile. Insinuates that people in and around USMNT think he's not been genuinely hurt :shock: He ruled out going out on loan to Everton this January, and even though his contract runs for one more season, he might be done w/the Galaxy after these playoffs.

If I had to guess he's going to retire from the Nats and maneuver a sale to Everton for next season, and skip out on the final year w/LA. MLS would at least get a little something for him as opposed to nothing next Oct., while Everton who is on a pretty strict budget could get him for dirt cheap by Prem standards (1 to 2 million pounds).

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story ... er?cc=5901

5. tim

tim Active Member

You have to admire his honesty. So many times players will dodge these questions or flat-out lie. No doubt people will criticize him, but I can't really blame him for his sentiment. He should honor his contract, of course, or negotiate an equitable (for all parties) exit. But aside from that, he shouldn't be playing out of a sense of obligation to some public image.

Rumors around the Galaxy earlier in the season involved Frank Lampard coming over (and it was assumed he would take Landon's DP slot), so certainly not the first time people have speculated that he'd make an early exit.

6. Clevelandmo

Yeah this Donovan situation is a problem, and likely another thing I will blame on Klinsmann. He has already had too many issues with players, club coaches/owners, and botched call-ups in general that I have difficulty not suspecting Klinsmann here. I seriously doubt Donovan's fellow players are the one's questioning whether he was really hurt or not. Also the US has historically been among the fittest teams and yet it sounds like Klinsmann has them doing even more conditioning/training than previous coaches. There has been more than one game in which the players seemed tired from almost the get-go as evidence of this. Maybe Donovan thinks that has contributed to his injuries or may make them worse or simply doesnt agree with it.

If could also be that Donovan is wimpier than the average player when it comes to injuries. Like he said himself he is not used to it. Landycakes not liking pain would be a surprise to no one.

Here's hoping he reconnects with the Mandon of 2010, there are few players I enjoy watching more :eek:bscene-drinkingbuddies:

And Tim I agree about his candidness and am glad he feels no obligation to play to anybody. If he leaves soccer I will miss him dearly. My favorite goal ever,

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQa0PbZZ6N0&feature=related[/youtube]

7. SoCalJoe

Klinnsman's response to LD's interview, and I know Mo he's probably lying through his teeth :roll: , but he seems pretty sincere. Going back to Landon's quotes, he's hinting about more than coaches. My guess is there were some players that have been seeing him mope for the friendlies and when their backs were to the wall weren't happy to see him fly to Miami than back home. I did enjoy Donovan's frankness, which is a breath of fresh air. However, he has some diva to him and obviously needs the affirmation. I will say JK needs to go to lunch or dinner after the MLS playoffs with him and clear the air.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story ... ys?cc=5901

8. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

Donovan needs a pr adviser. I don't think him airing his little feelers is refreshing or a good idea. I have no problem with him feeling the way he does, it's his life and he's more than entitled to do so...obviously. But it comes off as whining to me. From a nat'l team perspective, there's not a whole lot of pressure put on them. Not compared to what most every other professional Olympic athlete in this country faces.

His Olympics quote also rings a little hollow as well. From a professional perspective, he's not being criticized for winning a bronze instead of a gold. He's been criticized for skipping the Olympics altogether and being happy to take gold at the State Fair Fun Run. It's fully disclosed that athletes will be scrutinized and they are well compensated for it. So I have a hard time mustering much sympathy for Mr Donovan. Hopefully he refreshes his tanks and helps the USMNT...or he doesn't. We're not winning a WC either way, so it really doesn't matter that much in the grand scheme.

9. SoCalJoe

10. Clevelandmo

Arena doesnt specifically say he'll play for the Galaxy :cool: . Yes, I'm hoping he goes to Everton on a permanent contract, and the Galaxy uses the funds freed up to bring in Freddy Adu. Adu needs to get out of Philly unless they bring in someone who can finish the great service he provides.

11. SoCalJoe

Wonder what he was doing yesterday? I'm sure he was disappointed for the team, but was there a little part of him that said 'you need me more than I need you'?? Landon has some diva tendencies and he'll eat up the people calling for his return. Does anyone honestly think that the thought of riding in to the rescue doesn't appeal to him? It sounds weird to say, but was losing yesterday might be the best thing that could happen in our quest for making it to Brazil if it gets him motivated to come back.

12. dtowndough

dtowndough Active Member

SoCal, i hope you're right and it leads to that. Sure makes the game next month here in Denver more exciting. If anyone is coming in for that, give me a heads up. I'll buy tix for anyone that wants to come

13. Clevelandmo

If the match was one week later I would be there. We will be there in June though and plan to take in a Rapids game. Have any other suggestions on what to do in Denver/Boulder? I think we have the outdoorsy, mountain, fishing stuff taken care of, but would like to do some city stuff as well.

14. Clevelandmo

Any guesses on what I think would be the one best thing to happen in our quest for Brazil? :cool:

15. SoCalJoe

Nope, what could you possibly be talking about? :roll: :cool:

16. dtowndough

dtowndough Active Member

Mo, feel free to PM me if you want any other suggestions. But if you're coming in the summer, Coors field is a great place for a baseball game. I'm not a big fan of baseball, but I will go to 1 or 2 a year. It's got great views and summer evenings are usually great for being outside. As far as Denver, they have been adding more tourist things since i've been here. They have the mint which I still would like to see. The Natural history museum and Art museum both get very good reviews. I've been to Natural History, but not Art. You are visiting Boulder at the best time, when no students are around. Pearl Street is a cool little shopping/dining area. two of my favorite places in boulder are located on Pearl street (West End Tavern and Pasta Jays). There's also Chautauqua Park on the hill in boulder. great place to visit. there are a lot of hikes you can take from the park into the Flatirons as well as an auditorium. You should check out a show there if there is one while yall are in town. Not sure if you're bringing the whole family, but Denver has a very good nightlife and the Larimer Square area is a pretty cool place at night. Larimer Square is family friendly as well. I do recommend going out to Red Rocks, even if you cant see a show. It's open to the public during the day and you can hike throughout the park. There are several breweries of course. can't go wrong with those. Oskar Blues and Avery (I think) are both family friendly. Great Divide is right downtown in Denver.

17. Clevelandmo

Thanks for the info dtown, much appreciated. I've read that Salt Lake is a possibility for the June 18 (I think that's the date) WC qualifier so we might take a detour over there if that ends up being the case. To keep on topic, hopefully Landon will be back with the Nats by then

18. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

I don't see how that could be good for any team. If (big if) LD is using our somewhat, potentially, kinda/sorta WC qualification peril to stroke his ego, then I have an even lower opinion of him than I thought I did.

19. SoCalJoe

I think he is taking a break to evaluate how he wants to end his career, and genuinely was disappointed with the loss (probably a lot more than any of us). I just think that he is enjoying everyone calling for his return.

20. BarryWhite

BarryWhite Well-Known Member

A very large plus 1. If he just does not want to be there that is his right but if he is playing games then I don't have time for him.