Juan Pablo Angel to NYRB

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by americanmike, Apr 17, 2007.

1. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

It's official, he moves from Villa to the New York Red Bull. The MLS is going for a foriegn movement.

2. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Some kind of 'movement', anyway.

;)

3. pettyfog

Breaking opinion from Greg Lalas at SI.Com

Exactly!

4. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Interesting move, I wonder how much $$$$$$$$$$ MLS is paying him.

He's a guy whos shown class at times, but is streaky, was all the rage in Argentina, but those guys never really seem to pan out in England do they? He'll do well here I think, much much better than Blanco will anyhow.

5. pettyfog

I hate to disillusion PCB and some others, but ..if they wont work out in England... they usually wont here, either.
    tho...
    I think MLS invented 'streaky'.
    {added}
    Though the jury is still WAY out... the Beckham deal is looking better all the time.

It's just a hunch, but I think he will make the biggest impact on the pitch, as well as in seats sold, of all of them.

6. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Have to disagree with ya there. I think MLS is suited to latin "type" players rather than English. Move as a team up and down the pitch type of thing.

English idea of running like a frikin chicken with your head cut off taking everyone on until you just can't run anymore doesn't really suit MLS style of play. I think we will see this with Toronto. Mo Johnston has brought in middle of the road players from the CCC, CCC being the essence of running around like a headless chicken I can't see it working. Particularly if there 4-0 drubbing in New England is an indication.

Not insulting English players, its just clear certain styles don't fit certain players. No one can deny that these guys coming out of Argentina are real talented, good players. Yet upon getting to England they flop. Were the movement going the opposite direction I doubt many English players would prove successful in Argentina.

7. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

JPA had some very good moments with Villa. I just think that O'Neill likes Villa's kids more than their imports -- I agree with him there -- and that Angel is like a lot of players who get identified with a coach that gets replaced. If he can stay healthy, he can do some damage in the MLS. I never thought motivation was a problem with him at Villa Park.

8. jmh

jmh New Member

Regardless of how this works out for the Red Bulls, I think it's highly unlikely Angel will be worse than Matthaus was.

9. Optimizer

Optimizer New Member

Lothar Mattheaus came to NY for a vacation. JPA can't be worse than him or the last Columbian striker they had (Sergio Galvan Rey, "The King of Goals"...scored one for NY. LAME)

I'm very pumped by this signing. Angel has plently left in the proverbial tank, the Red Bulls NEEEEEDED a striker, and he clearly fits that need. Now Red Bull can roll a 4-3-3 with the 17 year old Jozy Altidore (who you should keep an eye) or Angel up top or put out a regular 4-4-2 with Altidore and Angel up top and John Wolyneic returning to his rightful place as a substitute player.

I can't wait until he gets here.