Iran: Elections, Chicago Style

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, Jun 13, 2009.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

NYT: Ahmadinejad Is Declared Victor in Iran

Lots more 'Nuance', here: AP: World reacts cautiously to Iranian's re-election

Yeah, sure.... uhhh, Jimmah! The opposition was all about DOMESTIC policies and economics. Get it? Oh.. wait.. No, you wouldnt get it.

Saudi columnist:
    Wow! Wanna lay a beer on that?!!!

Lessee I'm just a partisan paranoid Mynah Bird commenting on a soccer blog forum. And that guy gets quoted by a worldwide press service.

10-1 odds sounds fair, right? heh
    - - - - - -- - - - - - - -
    On FoxNews:
    We Report, You Decide.

2. Lyle

Lyle New Member

Yeah, it's a mess. I hope the Iranian people protesting in the streets win out or at least push the hardliners into softening up. It's hard to figure out what is going on. Are the people in rural areas or other cities protesting too? Are the religious protesting too?

It's good to see the people out, they know things need to change and soon. Thank god.

3. pettyfog

Iran: Dear CNN...

.... Dear CNN, Please Check Twitter for News About Iran

Why are we not surprised? I'm not... I quit being surprised after Eason Jordan admitted giving up Saddam's sons-in-law for execution in order to keep their Baghdad office.

On slower newsdays, jokes about conservative protestors being 'teabagged' are okay, though..

*** See my sig line for a hint on why!
    - - - - -- - - - - - -- - -

Back to subject: Dont make the mistake that the popular demonstrations against the government have any bearing on that country's foreign policy, one way or the other. Poll showed Iranian favorability sentiment on USA has dropped since Feb 2008.
    Most still view Nuke ambitions favorably, and most still see Israel as the country's greatest threat.
    Expect Achoominijihad to try to take advantage of that by manufacturing a crisis.

4. Lyle

Lyle New Member

Iran can have nuclear weapons if they are a real democracy and the people there have true self determination. Millions of Iranians are pro-Western, appreciate the United States, and don't want nuclear war. The military, religious elite in Iran... I'm not so sure. That's why change must happen in Iran.

It'll make Iraq a hell of a lot safer too.

5. pettyfog

An interesting blog thread on 'Why didnt the Mullahs let Mousavi win?'

Yep, it would be sorta like our own Congressional leaders doing the right spin thing... wait.. never mind.

A commenter {2nd down} thinks this will end in a 'pseudo-revolution'.
    But Michael Totten doesnt think they are that smart, and will just crush it after the emotions die down.

6. pettyfog

Iran: WaPo Kneeslapper!

The Iranian People Speak

Should I summarize 'Behind the numbers'?

Okey-Dokey... Everything those guys wrote above is BULLSHIT!!! NOBODY polling 34% wins 2-1!!!!

Read it for yourself!
    And gee... how could a poll in a country where dissent has been repeatedly shown foolhardy be anywhere near accurate... and that dates back to pre-mullah days, when the Shah's secret police used to use tricks like polls to root out dissenters.

I'm SURE I want those two idiots who wrote that op-ed helping to determine our foreign policy.

H/T: Ace of Spades

7. pettyfog

The Twitter Fueled Revolution?

How Iran Hackers Killed Big Brother

The outcome is in doubt, of course, but it seems that twitter has been the vehicle of choice for the Student dissenters.

{As well as catching CNN with their pants down.}
    :wink:

8. pettyfog

Iran: Obama metier

Obama gets it right, Writer has orgasm..

WaPo: Obama's Message to Iran

One can almost imagine if you and the writer were talking about this at Happy Hour.. you'd order him a mint julep to try to mute his 'reeking of asscrack' breath, .

Whatever.. the overall summary, applied to the President's reaction is correct. There's no need and nothing to gain by Obama taking a hard stance. Sarkozy can do that if he wants but it's only grandstanding at best and fuels the mullahs' deceptions, at worst.

There's also no doubt the Cairo speech played some role in the current situation. But as much as it might have emboldened the protests, so also the blatant cover-up of the results. I'd consider that a wash.

Also.. there's a LONG ESTABLISHED understanding between the dissident groups and our various agencies that might provide support. They want no traceable connections to us. And we've complied with that. It didnt start in January of 09, and to change the hands off policy would be a massive mistake.
    Obama, wisely, is reflecting that in his statements.

Problem is, it makes him look weak to other despots.

9. pettyfog

Iran: Breaking Point

Saturday, 6/20, will set the stage.

Supreme Leader Khamenei has said he's had enough.
    -that's supposing those paper ballots were even counted of course. In which case, how did the tally come so quickly?

Times on Line:
    Either the protestors are going to call it off or there will be a lot of blood in the streets.
    I think Mousavi will call it off. Best case projection doesnt even throw out the Mullahs. Just khamenei.

And even if Supreme Leader is overthrown, he'll continue to express his moral authority from some hidy-hole. Chances of his head on a stick: less than ten percent.
    This cannot end well, either way.

10. pettyfog

11. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Here is what some Iranian footballers did in support of Moussavi.Madhavikia scored the secong goal against the US in the 98 WC. I hope they and their families are all safe.

I don't know if I am seeing Moscow circa 1988 or Tiannamen Square right now.