In your opinion, what's our best lineup?

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by omsdogg, Apr 2, 2007.

1. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

Ok...we are down to 7 matches remaining in the season. We're sitting 5 points from 10th position...and 5 points from relegation. From the remaining matches (CAPS are home matches) Everton, MAN CITY, Reading, BLACKBURN, Arsenal, LIVERPOOL, Middlesborough, I feel like 2 wins...3 draws...and 2 losses would be a good showing...although I would obviously want more wins. What is your opinion is our best lineup that should be used extensively in this stretch run? Keep in mind that the last two seasons...we have performed well at season's end. I ask you all because I myself can't figure out the midfield. But i'll give it a shot.

* = a no brainer IMO

----------------Niemi*
    Volz/Liam?-Christanval-Boca*-Que*
    Routledge-Smertin-Brown*-Radz
    ---------McBride*--Montella*

I don't know what to do in midfield, cuz contrary to most Fulham fans I think Davies has performed well and I think Diop is playing better. Put your lineups and explanations in and let's make a run at the top 10 over the final stretch of the season. COYW!!!!!

2. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

For me:

Niemi

Liam -- Christanval -- Boca -- 3U's

Routledge -- Brown -- C. Jensen -- Radz

Brian -- Montella

I agree with you fully Omsdogg but if everyone healthy and not on CC's shit list, I'd pick Jensen since he is one of only creative midfielders left. If Diop was more consistent I would actually swap him for Jensen for sheer power.

Brown will always be my captain.

3. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

I like this line-up with Liam getting the nod over Volzy until proven otherwise (and I am still pissed with Rosey's lack of getting a foot in there on that shot this past weekend, whether it would have made a difference or not). Also, I think Radz's position is the wild-card. It's either him, Davies or Diop there. Sorry Dempsey, but looks like you will have to pound sand until next season.

Good question. Top ten was my pre-season expectation, but 12th is looking okay with me now too. One thing for sure, we are too close for comfort to relegation right now.

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

RE: Re: In your opinion, what

Of the players who can actually turn out on the day [and by that I mean without the "one Jimmy Bullard; there's only one Jimmy Bullard"], here's my optimum starting lineup for the rest of the year:

------------------ Niemi [like, duh] ------------------

Volzy -- Christanval -- Boca -- 3U

Routledge -- Brownie -- Dempsey -- Jensen

-------- McBride ------- Montella ----------

Bench: Hobby the Wonder Horse [gk]
    Liam
    Smertin
    Davies
    Bjorn

5. Optimizer

Optimizer New Member

While I agree that Jensen is creative, how long has it been since he's played? Is he so sorely needed that giving him time to get match fitness is that important? If so, he better start getting time soon. Personally, I think Davies has done very well so far with Fulham, so I would expect to see a lot more of him. Radzinski hasn't fared as well at times, so I choose Diop over Radz. Dempsey isn't going to be fit enough to be a big factor for this season, but I think he will next season; so Routledge gets to play out his loan at right midfield. In defense, while Pearce scored, I don't want to see him in CB much more this season. Rosy has been OK; but Volz really has played too well this season to continue to be ignored. For second striker, Montella should be starting over HH or the Dutch Offsides Runner. I shouldn't have to explain why McBride, Niemi, Queudrue, Bocanegra, and Brown are set in my line up.

So, there's my optimal lineup:

GK: Niemi
    D: Volz-Christanval-Bocanegra-Queudrue
    M: Routledge-Brown-Davies-Diop
    F: McBride-Montella

BENCH:
    Runstrom
    Rosenior
    Smertin
    Dempsey
    Helgueson

I rate HH over John, so I would put him in on the bench over John. Smertin is OK and I think Dempsey and Rosenior both are worthy of bench spots. Runstrom is there to be the backup GK and I hope he doesn't have to play again this season.

6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Dogg! No goalie on your bench? Considering Niemi's adventures, not a good move. Figure out which of your two strikers or your two midfielders you have to give up to make a place on the bench for an emergency GK.

7. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Second on Mike's line-up. Great minds think alike. :banana:

8. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Pretty similar to whats been said but at this point I prefer Volz to Liam. I also include Radz because as much as we make fun of him he is really fast, works very hard, and creates opportunities. I don't like him up top but he serves a purpose in the midfield.

------------Nemi----------
    Vloz----Val----Boca----QUE
    -------------Brown-------------
    Rouledge--------------Radz
    ------------Jensen------------
    -----McBride------Montella

9. psand22

psand22 Member

Well, we're all pretty much the same...except for a few tweeks. I'd like to see Jensen back in there, but I'm not sure he'll play anymore this season (is it injuries or the dog house?).

Niemi
    Liam - Christ - Boca - Que
    Rout - Brown - Davies - Radz
    McBride - Montella

The subs would depend on the game at hand, but I would have Volz in there...right back is fine, but I'd also like to see him pushed into the MF. He can't do any worse than the rest of out defensive MF. Heck he might even be the spark we need out there.

10. SCFulhamFan

SCFulhamFan Active Member

Which ever the lineup we MUST get three points against Man City and Blackburn. Middlesborough would be great but we need at least a point from that one. 7 points would give us a total of 42 points and SHOULD be enough to stay up. COYW!

11. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

My ideal lineup:

Niemi
    Volz Christanval Pearce Queudrue
    Routledge Brown Davies Radzinski
    McBride Montella

12. fulhamvt

fulhamvt New Member

my pics

Niemi
    volz pearce boca quedrue
    rout brown davies smertin
    mcbride runstrum

bench
    montella
    latz (the backup goalie)
    dempsy
    liam r
    diop

my reason for runstrum is that he is an unknown, young and quick and maybe he surprises a few teams and gets a goal in the first half. no matter what i bring montella in at half and dempsey in at 65 minutes

For some reason I also want to make diop my center back with boca. It just seams like he should be great at that position. he's big, intimidating good with his feet, good in the air. seems like it should work

13. jmh

jmh New Member

Niemi
    Liam - Christanval - Boca - Quuu
    Routledge - Diop - Brown - Davies
    McHead - Montella

Some backup goalie
    Volzy
    Smertin
    Clint
    HH

I'd love to see Jensen healthy and with a shot in the lineup, because (as Mike already pointed out) he's got the creativity that basically everybody else lacks. I think he's going to fall victim to the newfound depth and he'll be gone in the summer though.

14. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

I forgot about Claus...I love Spencer's lineup...with Claus tucked in behind the two strikers...I think what would be a great lineup and formation