Ideas from science enthusiasts?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Clevelandmo, Nov 8, 2007.

1. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Every year I organize a hands-on science and math fair for my childrens' elementary schools. Just wondering if anyone has some good ideas for science acitivities because I like to have some new ones each year. I prefer that they be hands-on activities that the kids can do themselves (or with a parent) but we do include a few demonstrations so those ideas are welcomed too. The age range is 6 - 11 years. Ideas for math activities are also appreciated. Thanks!

2. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

3. Clevelandmo

Thanks Fog. We actually have never used the potato battery because I always figured that they see it in school. However, now that I have a child through elementary school, I realize that's not neccesarily true. We have a couple of electronics activities (build a flashlight, galvanometer) and the potato battery will fit in nicely.

Thanks for the links too! I found a couple of good ones which I have not seen before.

4. Smokin'

Smokin' Administrator

Mo;

Not sure if this will help on the Math end... a friend of mine and I made this site a couple years ago... give it a whirl, maybe it will inspire.

www.mathlibs.com

5. Clevelandmo

Thanks for your help smokin. i took a quick look and we may use something from your sight if it's okay. I thought the probability activity would be good since I dont believe we have anything relating to that.

6. Smokin'

Smokin' Administrator

7. Jensers

Jensers New Member

I teach 6th grade science and we focus on physics concepts. The kids love creating electrical circuits, creating waves on springs, messing with color addition and subtraction, seeing practical uses of simple machines, racing anything, and also robotics, rockets, and aerodynamics.

Pick one of those things and I can give you some ideas.

8. pettyfog

Would it be bad form to demonstrate tsunami source in an aquarium, both by massive slide into... and plate shift at the bottom...?

9. Clevelandmo

Funny you should mention that Petty because that was what my son wanted to do for his 3rd grade science project. So he and my husband built (i.e. son watched and fetched) a 4'x1' tank with one side made of plexiglass and a gradually inclined bottom. There's a hinged flap on the bottom that you lift up to simulate plate shift and we drop a brick in to simulate a landslide. We have not used it at the fair and probably should. I didnt show the tsunami formation as clearly as we envisioned, but it basically worked and we could tweak it for maximum effect. Thanks again Petty that is an easy one.

10. pettyfog

Your son is one smart cookie! Keep his head straight in those Gummint skools, now!
    ;}

Raise a skeptic... but an optimistic one!

11. Clevelandmo

Thanks for your input Jensers. I'd be interested in what you do regarding creating waves on springs and racing anthing. Thanks again.