Honduras v USA - WCQ 10-Oct-2009

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by andypalmer, Sep 24, 2009.

1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I don't understand -- TWICE

1. The last time I was in Idaho there were plenty of bars.

2. What's the point of an alumni weekend IF THERE ARE NO BARS?

2. Flamingcokecans

Flamingcokecans New Member

Still no tv coverage listed at ussoccer.com :(

I think we can pull of a 1-1 draw at Honduras. I just don't see us pulling out more than a draw on the road, in an already hostile Honduras, without Dempsey. But I also don't think we will lose given that we have Onyewu back. Altidore or Davies to add to their tally? Or maybe Holden the Clemson boy to find the net?

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

In Dempsey's absence, I'd be tempted to put Holden on at the beginning and let him run the right wing.

If there's no free domestic TV, somebody should make some real noise on USSOCCER.COM

4. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

In ESPN's defense, they were probably tied up contractually for Saturday with their college football contracts. That leaves, what FSC? Has anyone else carried a match, other than mun2?

With MLB Playoffs in full swing and the absence of Mexico (for mun2), I can see how this has happened. We're definitely a niche market, as much as that sux.

5. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

The world wants to know. If there are no bars, are you sure there's wi-fi.. or broadband?

6. Jensers

Jensers New Member

Sorry- there is a bar, but nothing that is showing the match. There is a pub the next large town over, but they don. Have it either. The list of viewing locations is slim pickins outside of major cities. I am still holding onto hope that an Internet feed will be found.

7. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

Interesting fact about bars trying to show the game on closed-circuit:

"By the way, if you're a barkeep who wants to show the game via closed-circuit, according to a U.S. Soccer source it'll cost you $15 per person based on the legal occupancy of your establishment. So if the fire department says your joint can hold 50 people, you'll have to pay 50 times $15 for the signal. Then you can charge customers whatever you like"

8. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

9. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

Ugh. Frankie gives all he has, but he was ready to leave the international scene years ago. He has an all or nothing attitude towards tackling which really scares me. I'd like us to stick with our current RB rotation.

10. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Oh, and Roberto Moreno, that "excellent" ref from the Azteca game is the ref. I probably shouldnt bother to watch because it will make me too mad.

11. pettyfog

Steve Goff explains, sorta...

A roundup of remarks tells me that, wherever you watch the game, the house is taking it in the rear.. $15 per, based on listed occupancy.

Fado, and others are taking the loss. You will either encourage this future gouging, or discourage it, based on your attendance at a fee-paying establishment.
    As an advocate of the free market, I have to ask... why are you people such sheep? When someone gets the rights and sets the price too high for the market, you have the god-given right to NOT pay them!
    You DONT have a god-given right to watch the game FREE of charge.

More idiocy:
    What the hell does that mean... Gonna start a 'trade war' with tv rights?

- - - - -- - - - - - - - - -
    Yeah he was. Then he reinvented his enthusiasm. And improved his crossing.

BTW: Which other RB, from that current rotation pretty much won a game all by himself?

Ooops.. correction: TIED the game with El Salvador. Assisted on the other goal

12. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

1. Fog, thanks for the research and analysis.
    2. Re-Frankie -- he has as much talent as he has ever had. It's limited, yes; but if he was good enough to be in the squad 10 years ago, he's good enough now.
    3. Re-Frankie [part 2] -- I'll bet anyone that he's in better physical condition than anyone in the squad, and he's still probably quicker and faster than any under-25er in the squad.
    4. It's interesting that, while this match is critical to our WC qualifying, almost all the discussion has been about the TV rights.

13. pettyfog

Don's 1, 2, 3, and 4:

It's almost a lock that if this game wasnt critical and/or away.. Frankie would not have been named.

Who else can inspire the other players? Who else will still be running his ass off after 90? Who else 'ain t skeered of no...'?

And it's minimal impact for the Crew.. Zayner is just as good a defender. And will try to perform on the wing bring-ups to prove he's ready to take over for Frankie.

14. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

Not really. We're still through if we lose this one and beat Costa Rica. And may not even have to beat them depending on other results on Sat.

Re Frankie's addition. Does this mean Clint is out for both qualifiers? Or is Frankie just there to give Bob add'l options if Clint can't go? And also, if Clint's out for both, do we know if he stayed in London or is stateside.

15. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

Heydude's a good guy, but it seems like his frenetic pace sometimes upsets the team chemistry apple cart.

He'll probably jump right into coaching soon.

16. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

Because we are not getting better or are worse than we were 10 years ago, and our talent pool sucks, dontcha know.

Signed,
    Eeyore

17. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

18. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Clint is evidently with the squad and will play if the CR match is critical to our qualification -- i.e. if we don't get at least a point off Honduras. I'd like us to get this over with on Saturday, so that Clint can take Wednesday off.

19. LaxAttack

Everything I have read states that Clint is in London and will be re-evaluated on Saturday/Sunday to see if he can play Wednesday or not.

20. LaxAttack

Not a good day for Grant Wahl down in Honduras:

"F------ hell. Got robbed at gunpoint in Tegucigalpa in broad daylight. I'm OK, but they took wallet/iPhone. Amateur hour from GW!"

"Talk about crazy extremes. Just got off the phone with the de facto president of Honduras. He apologized for the robbery. Talked soccer too."

"De facto Honduras President Roberto Micheletti: "Honduras 4, USA 0! ... The heart of the Hondurans is bigger than ever!""

"Thank god for Marriott points. I've got no credit cards and about $40 in Honduran money. Still have laptop/passport. Will be at game!"