George Floyd

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by HatterDon, Jun 2, 2020.

1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

MicahMan and dtowndough like this.
  2. dtowndough

dtowndough Active Member

what are you surprised about with Deandre HD? I Thought his comments were well stated and fair. I wish more dialogue like this could occur, but certainly won't under the current dictatorship.

3. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Yeah, with @dtowndough, am I missing something? Or was this just a conversation starter?

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Well, with Sancho, I was surprised that a murder in Minnesota would resonate so strongly with a young Englishman working in Germany. I had no idea that the event had such international impacts.

With Yedlin, it was the first time I'd heard him say anything political. Like Sancho, it surprised me that it resonated so strongly internationally. Why? Because what happend to Floyd is NOT something unusual in the USA. Police and government violence towards people of color has been a strong part of American life from the beginning. Institutional murder of black and hispanic people [generally young men] is something I've been aware of for more that 60 years. International protests are what's new ... that's what surprised me

5. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

With social media and TV today, American news is consumed worldwide way more than it should be. I've seen people in other countries comment online that they know more or have more discussions about US politics than they do their own. I guess this really isn't too surprising this kicked off worldwide protests. Plus, racism and aggressive policing is a relatable topic just about everywhere.

MicahMan likes this.
  6. dtowndough

dtowndough Active Member

Thanks for clarifying HD.

7. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

Watching the match, I had the same reaction as HD. Like he said, I was more surprised it resonated so strongly with a young English player in Germany. That was last Sunday and I hadn’t noticed international protests until this past week.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m glad it did resonate with Sancho and worldwide. This shit has been going on way too long and meaningful change is long overdue.

Btw, hi Heather!:)

dcheather likes this.
  8. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

Mr. Floyd's funeral is ongoing as I type this. Being streamed and aired on a number of platforms, including the TV station I work for in Louisville, KY. This has gone way past politics and dialogue. Change IS coming. Whether it will be meaningful or not, only time will tell. But you are correct Matt. It is long overdue.
    Stay tuned...

dcheather, HatterDon and MicahMan like this.