1. NJGlen

NJGlen New Member

Ouch...nice way to crush the dreams of a ten year old boy with a sledge hammer, lady. What are you going to do this weekend? Run around the mall shouting; "Santa does not exist", "Jesus was a Protestant" or "Size does matter" and shatter a few other dreams. Maybe dying at the age of 59 doesn't sound so bad all of a sudden.

2. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Agreat piece by a yank who saw him, early on... brings the flavor of the times!

3. Smokin'

Smokin' Administrator

I've been never been slapped, cursed at, or drenched with drinks using my method. Which is pretty much screw the target and shoot. Mike can atest to that.

Although, now I'm wondering if I've been successful since I do have a Ms. Idaho Potato 1996 notch in my belt.

4. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

WTF am I thinkin!

I should'a gone for the "Preble County Fair Pork Queen"!

No.. she WAS good lookin' and had a good sense of humor, besides. As you might expect...

But i think that contest is no more, due to the most recent connotation.

5. AtlantaJohn

AtlantaJohn New Member

Just wanted to add a note about the passing of George Best. First of all I dont really care what he did off the pitch, if he did not break the law of the land then that was his business. I had the pleasure of watching him play at craven Cottage a few times, but not for Fulham, no in those days he was playing for the Reds, I also saw him at Old Trafford against Watford and in the return at Vicarage road. #10 in the white shirt was my hero on the football pitch, but I can honestly say without a doubt Best was the greatest player I ever saw, he was simply a star among stars. In my opinion it is impossible to compare sports figures from one generation to the next, in human history humans have got faster and better at everything they do, no the only way to judge is to judge them against their fellow journeymen, and in this Best had no equals, even the great Charlton and Law were ordinary compared to this man, when he turned it on. Of course he had his bad days, but his bad days were the good days of 99% of the rest of the players. The European Cup of 68 was the highlight, but I remember going to Wembley to see NI play England, England won 2-1 that night, but honestly there was only one player on that field, he run rings round us, and that was when England had a World class team!!!!!!!! My last point is that I have always truly believed that if George Best had been born English we would have not only won it in 66, but 70 and qualified and won it in 74, and there would have been no doubt in any ones mind when they were asked that question who was the greatest. Will we see another George Best, of course not, he played in the magical years of the 60's in England, the Beatles, carnaby street, rolling stones ETC.ETC. Will a player come along who stands head and shoulders above the rest of course they will, but for my generation it will always be George Best, the greatest I ever saw.

6. RDG

RDG Member

Tribute to George Best at Nevada Smith's

Sorry about the short notice.

For anyone in NYC Monday night --

Monday March 27th 2006. Tribute to Football Legend George Best.
    Venue: Nevada Smiths Bar - 74 Third Avenue (Between 11th & 12th Street)
    (Doors Open 7pm)

New Yorks's football community will come together for a special tribute
    to pay our respects to the greatest footballer the world has ever seen.
    The evening will be hosted by the Voice of Football, Mr. Tommy Smyth of
    ESPN. After the speeches, we will enjoy a night of classic George Best
    football action on the big screen including the 1968 European Cup Final
    Victory. Special Guest Barbara Best McNarry (George's sister) will
    officially open the George Best mural and all proceeds collected will go to
    the George Best Foundation.

7. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

RE: Tribute to George Best at Nevada Smith

Well, I saw Pele play here in San Antonio for the Cosmos against the SA Thunder, I saw Cruyff play in DC for the Whips, and I saw Best three times, and from what I saw, Best was above all of them -- although he was in his prime when I saw him.

The best I saw of him was in Shepherd's Bush when Man U wiped the floor with QPR. Someone -- I think it was Paddy Crerand -- hit a screamer against the post. Best was moving at full speed, seemingly adjusted his upper body at full fly and headed in the rebound from about 3 feet. I couldn't believe what I had seen until I saw it that night on BBC's match of the day.

I'm 59 myself, and if I had accomplished what he did, I think I'd be alright with going now.