Garber: MLS 2.0?

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by pettyfog, Sep 27, 2008.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Is there going to be a radical realignment of MLS schedule in '10 to address problems in scheduling national team and non-league games?

What cities are Garber and friends really looking at? Start with this from Seattle P-I

Then read Bill Archer's parse of this fairly revealing piece gleaned from Garber's conversations in the Fire press box

Well worth reading.

Bottom line:
    Probably no chance for Montreal, Ottawa - GOOD! Maybe a Miami team partnered with Barca?

No freaking chance of Winter Sched, not even Feb-Dec. Good.

2. stlouisbrad

stlouisbrad Well-Known Member

I will be upset if MLS choses to go back to Miami. I don't care if you are working with a foregin club or not. Florida does not support its professional sports teams well. Just ask the Marlins and Devil Rays, or the Lightning and Panthers, or the Heat. I also doubt the city of Miami would help build a stadium.

I would love to see a team here in St. Louis, but we need more money. Maybe Cooper can convince InBev to help get a team. We could be the St. Louis Buds!

3. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Actually InBev sounds like a great partner. MLS too squeaky clean/wary for a beer sponsor? Dunno.

4. BarryP

BarryP New Member

Another Garber interview. Most of the info is contained in Fog's post but there may be one or two new blurbs.

5. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

Does anyone else feel like the expansion of MLS considering the salary cap is akin to the government building more roads when people can't afford gasoline?

After the terrible performance by DC United's JV team last night, MLS clubs are now 0-6-3 in the CONCACAF Champions League. Thats three points out of a possible 27. My math may be off, but thats Derby-esque.

And although I dont have any figures on the CCL's predecessor, I don't believe MLS' track record was good in that either.

So I ask, whats the point?

6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I've mentioned this before. Without more sell-outs of matches and people buying MLS paraphenalia that doesn't read "Herbalife," the ONLY way for existing owners & MLS to get any infusion of cash is through fees paid by new franchises.

7. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

But that just waters down the competition even further and ruins the game here.

Not that I disagree with you, but it seems the only way for the league to make money is to sell more shit for gold...?

8. BarryP

BarryP New Member

No! If you choose to look solely at the short-comings of any business and not at what it has accomplished then of course things will look bad. I appreciate the fact that the MLS is built on a business model of fiscal restraint. I accept that means the on-field product for now will not be the best in the world. The NFL did not become the money spinning monster it is today overnight and neither will the MLS. However instead of moaning about what we want the MLS to be how about we discuss what it has already done for soccer in the US?

- Are more of our national team players playing professional soccer? Don't know for certain but my guess is yes.

- Are more US players getting looks from European teams? - Definitely

- Has the MLS generated more interest in soccer in the US? - Yes. It wouldn't be nationally broadcasted if it had not.

- Has the MLS created a higher quality of infrastructure for soccer in the US? Yes. As an aside to Christian, you are now required to watch RSL and comment on the beauty of their new stadium and how nice it is to see a game in the US played on natural grass without those pesky pointy football lines messing up your viewing pleasure!Of course I realize that will come with a healthy commentary concerning the speed of the game here :roll:

Regarding your question as to why expand if the MLS isn't competing in Cup competitions my mind is drawn to one of my favorite sports movies, "Build it and they will come". When I look at a map of MLS cities what they are doing on the east coast makes sense to me. With the addition of Philly you generate a regional market of NY, NE, DC and Philly. The team Garber wants in St. Louis would create a regional market of Chi, CLB, Toronto, KC & StL. The west has a regional market in the three California teams, RSL and COL. DAL and HOU have a local rivally and Seattle will be hanging out by itself until the MLS gives it a franchise to play with.

My opinion is the MLS is more concerned with growing itself than competing internationally because the league is not yet ready to compete on the international stage. One day perhaps but not now. That is probably why we here the pharse "Our focus in on league play" so often.