FUSA's Annual Manager Sacking Pool

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by SoCalJoe, Oct 2, 2011.

1. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Forgot to transfer this over, but the House is no longer accepting bids on Steve Kean, since he looks to be the clear winner. However, what about Arsene Wenger? Unthinkable a few years ago. This week the Gooners owner Stan Kroenke gave Wenger the dreaded vote of confidence, which as we all know should be renamed the vote of you're on thin ice.

2. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

It would be a strange sight to someone else on the touchline for Arsenal. But after yesterday's loss and their position in the table, I suppose it's a real possibility this season. I can see him going around the winter trade deadline if they're not in the top 4 or 5.

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Colin Wanker seems next to go -- and it has little to do with the result yesterday at the Cottage. He is NOT the "big name" manager that QPR wanted for their return to the top flight.

His blow up with Taarabt seems to me a good prelude to the execution.

4. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

I'm sticking with Neil Warnock.

5. SoCalJoe

Blackburn owners to hold 'long chat w/Steve Kean' per soccernet. That could end up being a very short one instead. Let's not forget about Steve Bruce, Niall Quinn stepped down from the board to work in a different position for Sunderland and the yank owner (had no idea an American owned them) Ellis Short steps in. Bruce could be on shaky ground.

6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Who knows what those chicken idiots will do in Blackburn. When they first signed Kean, the disbelief from the football press caused them to give him a 7-year contract. Who the hell gets a 7 year contract as a manager?

And this was after they fired the only manager who could possibly keep them up this season -- Big Sam.

7. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Bringing Bruce in is one of the first things Ellis Short did when he bought Sunderland so I dont think the board changes necessarily mean anything in regard to Bruce. All the American owners in the prem like to have a good ol' fashioned brit footballling man in charge, or so I've read. It makes sense as a way of soothing supporters frightened of the foreign ownership.

I had predicted Kean in the original thread I think. My second choice has got to be Warnock.

Owen Coyle is ranked as the third most likely sacking by many sources. I dont see Bolton sacking him. They're in the bottom of the table now but they've only played top teams.

8. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

I posted that info on the old old FUSA when it happened.

For the sack race, I'd go
    1: Kean
    2: Warnock
    3: McLeish

I realize Villa are 7th, but I don't think they'll maintain that under McLeish (they've played no one so far) and he is an ex-Blue.

9. SoCalJoe

Steve Bruce has been shown the door at Sunderland. No surprise there, but the fact Kean is didn't get canned before him sure is.

10. AggieMatt

It's not the Premier League, but old Fulham nemesis, the Orange One, Phil Brown was sacked by Preston North End (League 1).

11. jimsig

jimsig Active Member

12. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

A stupid, short-sighted decision. McCarthy's teams play ugly football, but he's kept them in the Prem on a shoestring. The players think the world of him also. I would have bet on their survival this season, but now I'm not so sure.

13. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Wolves to go down...now if the other two aren't Fulham, I'll be a happy dude. COYW!!!!

14. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

With the way Bolton and Wigan have been playing...that should be easy Nev. *

* I am not responsible for any jinx if Fulham do go down. It would be entirely of their own doing.

15. jumpkutz

Hey! Warnock was sacked January 8th, wasn't he? Missed it by THAT much!

16. AggieMatt

Sacking McCarthy certainly looks like a panic move and is one that I believe will get them relegated. I think they'd have squeaked through if he stayed on. But even if they didn't, I'd have liked his chances to get them back up again. I don't understand these yo-yo clubs that blow up the entire system in a desperate attempt to stay up when essentially, they're just reducing their chances of winning promotion again when they go down.

Not that I'll miss him or Wolves.

17. jumpkutz

Now that AVB is out at the dog track, who's next? Since my man Warnock is gone, I'll go with...Kenny Dalglish!(again).

18. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

he would be the logical chice, jumpkutz, but I don't think they'll EVER sack Dalglish.

If Kean doesn't get Blackburn safe soon, I think he'll go, but my best bet is McLeish. If we can do a beatdown this Saturday, that might be enough to let him go. He's pretty much hated by the Villans and hiring him was the first thing Lerner did to get the supporters angry with him. Ugly football is only tolerable if it gets you Europe. Villa will be lucky to finish in the top half.

19. SoCalJoe

I have predicted Kean every single time and he's still there. They have a 6 pointer w/Wolves, so this could be the week w/a loss.

Have no idea why Lerner would hire McLeish in the first place (manager of their hated arch rival who just guided Brum to relegation? :shock: ). The only time I remember someone doing that stupid was Southampton stealing their bitter enemy Harry Rednapp from Portsmouth, promptly got dropped and haven't recovered yet. 'Arry went back to Pompey and as usual kept one step ahead of the sheriff.

20. jumpkutz

I agree with Don and Matt and I'm sure a number of you...sacking McCarthy was not a wise move by Wolves. I feel bad for Terry Connor...he's inherited a no win scenario (and he ain't Capt. Kirk).

Never say never about anybody, including King Kenny. I know his history there, but with American owners, the way they're trending in the Prem (despite winning the Carling Cup) and his role in the Suarez incident, he might be surprisingly closer to the trap door than we think (see Birmingham City last year).