Fulham vs. Exeter City - EFL Cup

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by MicahMan, Aug 27, 2018.

1. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

Fulham faces Exeter City from League Two in the second round of the EFL Carabao Cup. Exeter City got the season off to a strong start getting 10 points out of the first 4 matches, but they just suffered their first defeat to MK Dons. They currently sit in third place in League Two.

Exeter City defeated Ipswich Town in the first round to advance in the EFL cup to face Fulham. After finishing regulation knotted at 1-1, Exeter won 4-2 on penalties.

Exeter City has never been higher than League One with most of their history being spent in League Two.

Fulham is clearly going to put in a significantly different lineup than what we saw on Sunday. Hopefully we'll get our first look at Alfie Mawson. I also wouldn't mind seeing 19 year old American Marlon Fossey get some playing time since he looked pretty good at points during pre-season matches with the first team.

This match is not available on TV so your only chance for any live coverage is to listen to GJ through FFCTV.

encorespanish and SoCalJoe like this.
  2. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

As expected, an entirely different starting XI from Sunday. However, Jokanovic didn't take this as an opportunity to give young players a shot. Instead we get mostly potential league starters given an opportunity to play. I'm glad we'll get a chance to see Rico and Mawson for the first time.

Rico
    Christie, Chambers, Mawson, R. Sessegnon
    Cisse, Johansen, Anguissa
    Kamara, Fonte, Kebano

Subs: Fabri, Odoi, S. Sessegnon, McDonald, De La Torre, Mitrovic

3. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

And I forgot to mention that VAR will be having a trial run tonight, so no attempting hand-ball goals while offside like Willy Boly.

nevzter likes this.
  4. astroevan

astroevan Well-Known Member

I think this speaks to the depth of the squad. I was hoping for both young Americans to get significant game time, but only got less than 20 minutes for Luca de la Torre. I hope they don't get completely lost in the PL2 squad this season.

I followed the tweets. Sounds like Fulham were in command the whole time. A clean sheet, game time for Mawson, and a brace from Kamara. All good things for the squad.

encorespanish, nevzter and MicahMan like this.