Fulham vs Blackburn Rovers [R]

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by GaryBarnettFanClub, Apr 17, 2007.

1. GaryBarnettFanClub

GaryBarnettFanClub New Member

Before looking at the game, for those that do not have a fixture list to hand....

H Blackburn Rovers
    A Arsenal
    H Liverpool
    A Middlesbrough

Given our away form we can discount points from Arsenal and 'Boro and I don't fancy much out of the Liverpool game. Charlton are 3 points behind with -2 goal difference, Sheffield U are 1 point behind (currenly losing 2-0 to Man U with -3 goal difference), if either team gets a 3-4 goal win it will put them above us.

The next game is make or break for our season, I think if we get nothing from it then we will experience the desperate feeling of relegation, even a point may be enough to save us.

Historically at the cottage the results have been

1999-00 Fulham 2 - 2 Blackburn D
    2000-01 Fulham 2 - 1 Blackburn W
    2001-02 Fulham 2 - 0 Blackburn W
    2002-03 Fulham 0 - 4 Blackburn L
    2003-04 Fulham 3 - 4 Blackburn L
    2004-05 Fulham 0 - 2 Blackburn L
    2005-06 Fulham 2 - 1 Blackburn W

So, neither team holds a hoodoo over the other.

For those that have not experienced this point in the season, where relegation is a real possibility, it is awful. The pressure on the players is immense and any player who puts in a performance with that much strain on them is a giant. I would not be surprised to see some lose their bottle.

For the team, it means that you must choose players with a real strength of character. For that reason, I would not have Radzinski in the squad.

I liked the 4-4-2 formation we played with against Reading and will assume LS will play that (notice that I have initialised the gaffer as I cannot spell either of his names yet!). I believe that you must start a game with your best players, however for Fulham it would be difficult as our 2 best strikers cannot last 90 minutes and would give LS no room to manoeuvre, so...

-------------Nieme----------

Liam---Knight---Boca---Q

Routledge---Diop---Brown---Davies

-----HH------Small Aircraft----

Bench

Keeper
    Volz
    Pearce/Christanval (one if fit)
    Smertin
    McBride
    John

I expect a nervous game, with fairly desperate football. Rovers are safe with little to play for. As for a prediction... I'm to scared, so I will dream of prem football next season instead. COYW.

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Hey GBFC!

I have entirely too much experience w/relegation. The last time the Hatters went down from the Old Div1 it was in the 90th minute of the last match to a goal by, of all people, Des Walker [one of 2 he scored in the top flight if I remember]. The previous 2 years, late Mick Harford goals in the last match kept them up both years.

Anyhow, I think you have to resolve yourself to a match without a left footer [no religious slight there, I'm speaking literally]. I'm with ChiTom; I want passion. So ...

---------- Niemi ----------

Volzy -- Christanval -- Boca -- Liam

Davies -- Brown -- Papa -- Dempsey

---- BMB --- Montella ---

Zat, Smertin, John, Jensen, Goalie on the bench.

I'm sorry, HH is NOT a Prem player, although I think that John might be.

No score for me either, but, as I've said all year: WE'RE STAYING UP!

3. GaryBarnettFanClub

Hi Don,

The only reason I started HH ahead of McBride is I feel that it ties the hands of the manager tactically later on. I would love to start with both McB and Montella, but they would both need subbing after 65 minutes, then we have John and HH for a final huzzar.

I was not sure if Val was fit, and even if he is - do we want to risk him in the biggest game of the season. Likewise, can you really risk a start for Dempsey, a player who will never have experienced anything like this - I am not questioning his ability - but it is a hell of an ask of a young chap in a new world.

4. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

I think you have to start Aero/Mac right from the start even at the risk of tying Sanchez's hands later in the game. Frankly, the team deseperately needs to get their noses in front, and the atmosphere and crowd will carry those "old" legs until at least the 75th.

GBFC, I defer to you on all things footy, but when it comes to Dempsey ignorance can be bliss. This kid was the coolest customer we had on the field vs Italy and Ghana. The bigger the game the better he plays. I'm begging LS to start him w/Rout on the other side, lets run at the Rovers.

As for a prediction, 2-0 to the good guys. If we can't beat a team gutted by a FA loss, playing an extra game (also presuming they get the home win v Watford giving them all the pts they need), w/the crowd all rowing in the same direction and singing their hearts out, then maybe (to borrow a line from an Eddie Murphy standup routine) we should go the Championship and "have a coke and a smile and shut the f#%k up".

5. Jacob

Jacob New Member

I am not going to have a comment on the game because it is to tough for me to even think about ways to win or what will happen. The only experience I have had with relegation is being relegated 2 straight seasons when I played club football at a local level.

I was recruited to a top flight club (Classic I) and we had a dismal season. Not much changed the next year and we were relegated again from Classic II to Premier A. After that I left the club and found a place where I fit in.

I know the feeling, but I don't. I know how much is riding on this game though. We need all 3 points and Superhero needs a CLEAN SHEET. This race may come down to GD. Speculate on lads, I'll be in the chat room this weekend. :)

6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

See you there, Jacob. COYW!

Note to everyone: The midweek results could not have gone better for us. Everyone around us lost -- including those below. Games in hand mean nothing unless you win them. Everyone's got the same number of matches remaining now. GO GET SOME ROVERS!

7. jmh

jmh New Member

I'm with Don. In what has unfortunately devolved into a desperate situation, we need guys who are going to play with passion. To me that means:

- Browny must be kept in check by LS, because getting sent off for overzealous tackling would be a BAD thing.
    - Routledge shouldn't play. He's going back to Spurs at the end of the season no matter what happens and as a result he's not emotionally invested like some of the other guys.
    - L'Aeroplanino should be kept in reserve for the same reason.

This is going to look awfully unconventional but hey, that's what message boards are for.

----------------- Niemi ----------------------

Liam ----- Knight ----- Boca ------- Quuu

----------------- Volzy ----------------------

---------- Diop --------- Browny -----------

Dempsey ------------------------- Davies

----------------- McHead ------------------

Bench:
    Keeper
    Christanval (Pearce can't be counted on to be healthy at this point IMO)
    Smertin
    Routledge
    L'Aeroplanino

Deuce and Davies are free get up the field at every opportunity. Volzy performed admirably when he was filling in in the midfield earlier in the year and I'd like to see him back in the first XI. HH can't finish to save his life lately.

This match isn't on TV in the States, is it?

8. GaryBarnettFanClub

Hey SoCalJoe,

Most people who know me will say deferring to me is a hairbrained idea - especially where football is concerned. I stand by my original post that this is now about players who are mentally strong, if Dempsey is strong and relishes the big games then he should play.

9. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

GBFC; lol, my wife swears I'm full of hairbrained ideas all the time. Concur about the mentally strong needing to be on the pitch Sat. Hoped you realized I meant Dempsey being the one whose ignorance to the situation at hand might be a benefit.

P.S. Forgot to send out thanks to both James McFadden and SW Phillips for lending us a helping hand er foot Sun./Wed.

10. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

i completely agree. i cant even muster to think of a starting XI.
    so all I am going to say is this: Fulham - make us proud.

see everyone saturday!

11. Jensers

Jensers New Member

RE: Re: Fulham vs Blackburn Rovers [R]

Game is Saturday - 10am eastern time so I am 3 hours behind that on the west coast so 7 am my time. Correct?

I know this isnt a Tottenham site, but that Tottenham-Arsenal match is going to be a great one.

12. Jacob

Jacob New Member

Re: RE: Re: Fulham vs Blackburn Rovers [R]

I think most people here will have their eyes on the Sheffield vs Charlton game and the Everton vs West ham match. If we want to look up we can always watch Wigan and Liverpool.

All those matches mean something to us in terms of where we go next season besides of course our match against Blackburn.

:D

13. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

If we do not win I believe that we will be relegated. I do not think that we can go into Arsenal and win or even get anything from the Liverpool game if we lose as our confidence will be very low. Charlton has a horrible run-in and could really lose half of their games left so a win and at the worst we should be looking at being on the same points as them. Best case would be a win for us and a loss for them which would mean that they would need to really dig deep to stay up. Montella is a professional and just because he will be leaving for Roma does not mean he will want to experience relegation. I would start him and Mcbride and just attack even if that means we are suspect to counter attacks. We need to throw everything into this game and we may lose, but at least we lost with a fight.

Niemi
    Rosenior-Boca-Christanval-Queudrue
    Dempsey-Brown-Diop-Davies
    Montella-Mcbride

We need this win and I think we will win and we could then be almost safe and stay up.

14. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

The atmosphere at Craven Cottage will be the best its been in literally years.

I've been reading TFI and the Official and you can expect ticker tape, balloons, drums, Flags...you name it we got it. Its great to see Fulham fans coming together and goes to show that we are still that close-knit club.

For me personally, I'm already nervous knowing I'll be in my seat chanting and hoping the Fulham boys put on a display to earn 3 points. I wish you guys could be there tomorrow with me...come on you whites!

I won't predict or even give a line-up. I will just do my part for FUSA.

15. AmericanBob

AmericanBob New Member

Never let it be said that our Site Admin is not behind US, hell he is right out there in front of US and I know if it werent for his fracture from last weeks supporter match in Reading he would be out on the pitch himself, playing Pro Bono ! Come On You Whites!!!

16. GaryBarnettFanClub

It sounds strange, but now - 16 hours from kick off, and I am really excited. It is not dissimilar to a cup semi-final. So near, but with it all hanging on one game.

I still don't want to make a prediction, but I am begining to get a really good feeling about this game. The next big thing will be in about 15 1/2 hours when the team is announced. The team last week was a continuity team, this week we will see what LS is thinking (if he is made full time manager I promise to learn how to spell his name).

COYW.

17. GaryBarnettFanClub

Franck Queudrue is out of the game with a twisted ankle, Volz is expect to play right back and Liam left.

(From the BBC)

18. psand22

psand22 Member

This is what you play for....big games and it doesn't get any bigger than this one. The Rovers are tough, but we've got them at the Cottage. I see a (2-1) victory. Here's my starters (and HatDons):

Niemi
    Volz - Zat - Boca - Liam
    Davies - Diop - Brown - Dempsey
    McBride - Montella

I think it's time to start Dempsey, especially with Routs display in the last game(s). He's got the tools, but hasn't put it all together, yet. And what the Hell....let's throw caution to the wind - Zat gets the start.

19. Optimizer

Optimizer New Member

This is huge, so big that I can't make it sound bigger than it actually is. I hope the Fulham players collectively have the games of their lives in spite of Zat Knight in the back four. Ian Pearce is hurt so I expect Knight to be there (sigh).

I know the Cottage will be going wild; I just hope the players do so as well. That's all I'm hoping for at the least.

But a win would be, dare I say it, optimal.

HEY this game isn't on TV, what time should I go to the chatroom to have a shot at following this game? 10 AM EST? Thanks.

20. Jacob

Jacob New Member

Fulham boss Lawrie Sanchez says his players should try to emulate the old "Crazy Gang" style of long-ball football pioneered by Wimbledon in the 1980s in order to save their season. (The Sun)

This scares the crap out of me. It tells me Sanchez has ZERO faith in the mid field and we need to hoof the ball to McBride and pray....... (it is the sun LOL)

I just want a cracking performance. That is all I ask. Just a good go at Blackburn. Close down Pederson and tight mark McCarthy and we may be able to sneak one past them.