Fulham vs. Arsenal

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by timmyg, Sep 24, 2009.

1. Martin-in-Nashville

Martin-in-Nashville New Member

I thought we dropped three points today showed some great play, as always let down by Etuhu and Zamora, those two amaze me that they play like this week in week out and still make the first team just goes to show how bad the squad is. Arsenal will win NOTHING This year and Im happy to say that especially since my son supports them but Im sure he will let me know he's opinion real soon.

COYW'S

2. stlouisbrad

stlouisbrad Well-Known Member

I thought we played pretty well today. I think a draw would have been a fair result but it was not meant to be. Dempsey to me hasn't looked good in a few weeks and the defense is at points ugly. I'm not unhappy with today’s game but there is definitely room for improvement.

3. jmh

jmh New Member

Sometimes you play well and you lose. I don't know why Zamora and Etuhu are tacking crap here, I thought they both played well. Zamora actually put some shots on frame and got denied by a keeper having a great game and a good block by a defender. Gera had an inspired game after coming on early.

Freaking Vito Mannone. Well, there have certainly been plenty of matches in the recent past where we've stolen points because of inspired play by Niemi or Keller or Schwarzer (or, heck, even Tony Warner) so I suppose it's only fair that it should happen to us sometimes too. As Roy said in the postgame comments, the performance was good, and if we play like that going forward, rather than like the match against Wolves, things will be OK.

4. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

when is the last time fulham put forth two solid, back-to-back performances, only to have the result diminish it?

i honestly cannot remember. but the football gods will smile upon us.

i hope.

5. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

A great performance and a 0-1 loss. Very frustrating but I felt better after that match than I did after wolves. Atleast we had 18 shots yesterday!

We had 18 shots. If it wasn't for a Mannone super show, we would've won and we atleast deserved a point. I see everyone has difference of opinion on who did well and who didn't but in my opinion Bobby and AJ had very good games and I swore AJ would score sooner or later! Gera, also, had the best game he's ever had for us, that Wednesday goal did him a world of good.

My one disappointment was Dempsey, he didn't have it in him today.

We even defended well which made the result all that more disappointing.

6. BarryP

BarryP New Member

Almost my thoughts exactly Josh. "Freaking Vito Mannone"! Couldn't have said it better myself.

7. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Got to actually watch a game for the first time in what seems forever.. I felt we did pretty well. Except for finishing. In the chatroom, I said what Fulham needs is a 'Stevie Lenhart'... Crashing around the goal, infuriating the opponent D and picking up loose balls, wherever.
    Last night in Columbus punctuated that. Roy needs to look for someone crazy-mad like that.. I saw several crosses looking for a goal charger.

8. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

I thought Zamora had a very good game, and even though Dempsey has had better, the moment that made me cringe the most was when he put that cross just through Mannone's box only to find no one home.

Freakin' Vito Mannone.

I got to say, my hat is off to him.

9. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

We played better than we did last year when we beat Arsenal 1-0. The difference?
    - 5 seconds of brilliance between Fabregas and Van Persie
    - A young keeper having the game of his career. Really, how often do you see Skysports giving a 10 rating to a player!?

I have no complaints against any of our players and thought Gera and Murphy has especially good games. Overall, I'm pleased despite the loss because based on this performance, we've got our form back.

10. Martin-in-Nashville

I've been thinking about this over the weekend and I think I should let you all know I think I see football in England slightly differant to the way you play and see it here in the US. and I'll explain why I dont like Etuhu and Zamora.

To me a Midfield player is someone who controls IT, someone who helps defend and someone who assists the forwards, someone who tackles and someone who controls the game, Etuhu does none of that for me and thats why I dont like him, Ive watched the way he doesn't tackle, Ive watched the way the marjority of he's passes go BACK and Ive watched the way he doesnt help or assist either the defence of the forwards, some Midfielders accasionally score a goal, without looking it up I have No clue as to when Euthu last scored a goal, probable around the same time as Zamora?. Ive noticed also he stands around a lot watching the ball rather than attack and go get it, Ive also noticed he doesnt control the ball but passes it straight away rather than control it first think about where it's going and then pass. and he's distribution is very poor just my observations I guess. but that's the way I see it.

Now to Zamora, Zamora's roll as I see it is a FORWARD Is to score goals, now like me you know he doesnt do that very often, why Becuase he cant shoot, he cant beat another player and he really isnt what a Forward is all about in my eyes, he maybe able to hold the ball up but watch what he does with it when he does?. again very poor distibution.

Most other teams in the premiership have proven goal scorers, (Torres, Rooney,Crouch and Drogba come to mind, they know excactly where the net is, is my point) Fulham dont have that in Zamora and until they get one this team will struggle in this division and any other they may end up in. you dont win matches without scoring goals is my whole point.

and like I said just my opinion and observations, so Im expecting plenty of critics on here but that's the way I see Football, I watched it and played it at a high level and I dont see anything in Etuhu and Zamora that I like.

Dont get me wrong as most of you know I was born and breed in Fulham my Blood is Black and White and I WILL always support Fulham.

COYW'S

11. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

I get EXACTLY what you are talking about, Martin. Tho I havent got to watch much this season, what strikes me is that there seems to be no forward target, holding FWD or not... and no one to claim prize when the opponent screws up.
    Watch THIS. Move slider to 2:20

That's why I said Roy needs a Lenhart. Though if you watch all the hilight, you see there's ALMOST ALWAYS someone ready to poach.
    Doesnt matter the level.. you HAVE to have an attacking mentality.

12. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

For what Ehutu's role is, he does his job. He had one bad foul that gave a fk in a dangerous spot, but other than that he was okay. Bobby played his best match in awhile, and I actually thought Clint had a decent match. He scores if the GK doesn't save it with his face, and hit the post with a shot that was on target until the defender grazed it. The criticism comes from the one sequence where he looked to get caught between 2 minds and and actually tried to pass it to AJ, but it was called a shot. No doubt is was crap either way, but he looked up to the match to me.

13. Martin-in-Nashville

I totally agree with what you say Petty, theres a First I must be getting soft? :roll:

I watched that Thanks PF and what I found interesting and noticed most was everytime a cross came into the box there was THREE waiting for the ball, something I havent seen Fulham do in ages.

14. Martin-in-Nashville

I'm not just talking about the Arsenal game SoCalJoe Im talking about week in week out on both of these players, neither is good enough for the premiership and should be dropped or sold. I was hoping Hull brought Zamora but that didnt happen as we all know.

15. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

I agree with you. Less so on Etuhu, I think he does some of the things you mention, but it's eratic. I'm 100% with you on Boobzy. His only reliable skill is holding the ball up. What he does with it from there though, usually results in play going the other way. Bobby Za-mora, couldn't score with a whore-a... I'll leave the rest of the song re-write to our resident musicians.

As for the rest of the match, that effort will get us points more often than not. Hats off to the Arse keeper for a phenomenal day. Fortunately, nothing's saving Pompey and Hull, so there's only one relegation spot to avoid this year, plenty of time to get it worked out.

The absent-minded left back was costly again, but we don't have any better options. Gera on the other hand, had one of his better EPL outings in a Fulham shirt in my opinion. Brede stepped up and saved possession a number of times and was surprising in his ballhandling. And while Dempsey has some moments where you wonder what he's thinking, he did get 2 of our better chances. That deflected shot that hit the post should have been the equalizer. I'd rather see over-aggressive than over-conservative, especially with this team.

Biggest concerns are the same as when the season started. Impotent strikers, Etuhu in the middle and PK at left back. Sounds (in part) like another team many of us support.

16. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Well, Martin, I must be as stupid as Roy evidently is, because I think both do an excellent job of executing Roy's game plan. Like Roy, I think both are Premier League quality.

17. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

Or it could just mean that no one is a genius or stupid and that Roy feels there's not a better option on the bench. Thanks for the demo on political style spin though. You suffering Fog-seperation anxiety?

18. Aztattooedsean77

Aztattooedsean77 New Member

Definitely agree! :banana:

19. Martin-in-Nashville

I dont think your stupid Don nor do I think is Roy, I just think that Etuhu and Zamora are not good enough for the Premiership and this team, neither contribute enough to make this team tick and WIN matches, and like I said just my opinion.