Fulham v. Spurs [R]

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by HatterDon, Jan 18, 2007.

1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

It's late Thursday morning; time to start ginning up for yet another derby.

Concerns: weak/tired squad; questionable CB pairings; match fitness for Super Cenz; availability of Deuce; availability of SHN; TOTTENHAM ARE ON FIRE

Joys: unbeaten streak; no word that BMB is hurt; incredible toughness and spirit throughout the squad; Routledge figured out that the ball goes IN the net.

We smacked them around pretty cheekily in their patch, and I think they're after us. It's tough considering the form they're in, but if we can solidify our central pairing, I think we can surprise them

Niemi

Liam [hasn't he been great recently?] -- Pearcey -- Christanval -- 3U

Routledge -- Brown -- Volzy -- Jensen [if ready]

HH -- BMB

Montella on at half time for HH; Radz on at the half for Jensen.

Screw it: 2-1 for the GOOD GUYS in Black and White

COYW!!!

2. DCDave

DCDave Member

2-1 sounds good for me. I will not be able to see the game as I will be in Detroit for TigerFest, but I will follow via my web phone.

BTW, do any English football teams do FanFest-type stuff like TigerFest or the Cubs Weekend, where they bring in a bunch of players during the offseason, have talks, autographs, vendors, carnival games, etc? It seems like a reasonably cheap way to promote the team and get some good publicity. They combine it with a small statewide tour of events. I know Fulham does not have a geographic area like Detroit, but they could sponsor some events at communitiy centers, etc.

One interesing note--TigerFest used to be at Joe Louis Arena, but last year's success has caused a move to Comerica Park. The problem, of course, is that the Co' is an outdoor ballpark and it's cold in Detroit! They will have heated tents on the concourses to keep fans warm. Hopefully, it will work!

3. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

I'm not a betting man, but the 'over' on 3 goals seems like a good wager. The game should absolutely be electric, wished there was a closer place than Santa Monica to see the game live (7 AM PST).

4. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

-------------Niemi-------------
    Liam---Phillippe--Pearce---Que
    -------Volz-------Boca--------
    Rout------Brownie------Radz
    ----------McBride------------

Bring on Cenzo for Boca at the half and play 4-4-2. Keep it tight at the back in the first 45...then unleash the Aeroplane on them in the second 45.

How does 3-1 for the Cottagers sound?

5. psand22

psand22 Member

Looking over our options for this game...I had a question? With Routledge's loan, he can't play in this game can he?

6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Crap; you're right! In that case, I'd move Volzy to RB, move Liam to RMF, and start Radz.

7. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

How can you not pair McBride and Montella? I think you can start him, if he gets tired you can bring him off around the 70th minute (hopefully he'll have his hattrick by then). This is a pairing I am waiting to see for a full match.

Niemi
    Rosenior--Christanval--Bocanegra--Q
    Volz---Brown--Jensen--Radz
    McBride--Montella

8. jmh

jmh New Member

Anybody in the NYC area interested in meeting up to watch this? I was thinking about heading to the Red Lion at Bleecker and Sullivan (or is it Thompson? I can never remember), which is reasonably convenient to a lot of subways.

(grumble grumble stupid Setanta not available on cable grumble grumble)

9. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Roger that, DCH. Cleared and ready for takeoff!!

Final: 3-1

10. MisfitKid

MisfitKid New Member

Could be 2 tired teams...
    Tottenham also played yesterday, hopefully they used up their goal alotment for the week with their 4.

MK - COYW!!

11. DCDave

DCDave Member

Because of the whole Sports Guy mess last summer, I hate Spurs more than anybody else not named chelsea and ManU, so I really want this one. Nobody gets away with dissing FFC!

12. SCFulhamFan

SCFulhamFan Active Member

Honestly, I am a little concerned for this game. Spurs have been spot on. Steed/Keane/Defore look unstopable. Let's hope for an early goal, keep pace, and drowned them out with singing!

13. fulhamvt

fulhamvt New Member

Does anyone know if Dempsey will be available even on the subs bench I am really anxious to see if he really can play at this level

14. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

15. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Edit/added:
    Of course, he can play 'at this level', if he matures just a little as I expect him too, he's in the Prem for a while.

Question being, will he be a journeyman or a standout.
    But, I dont think him getting in will prove anything about Dempsey, one way or the other... just gets him started.

16. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

what do you mean by mess? his spurning of ffc actually drew me towards the club. and did you read his stuff lately? he's becoming sympathetic toward newcastle - have to see how this pans out.

otherwise, i am thinking 2-2. even match with steed being venerated with "greeeeed" cheers.

17. eaashley79

eaashley79 New Member

18. ob

ob New Member

I'm worried about loosing Routledge. He's been great and he's got better. He wants to stay but Spurs want more than we're willing to pay for him. The thing is as CC said, they're probably not going to play him. His goal the other day was great, and I think he's an asset, so I'd like him to stay. As far as this game goes, if our defense are solid we can get something here, especially if Monty's as greedy as he was in our last match...

19. DCDave

DCDave Member

I haven't been reading him lately; I'll have the check him out again.

What I mean by "mess" is that he solicited comments on who he should root for. A person on this site and my wife (at least) sent in some well-written thoughts on behalf of Fulham. Then, when it came to pick a team, he dismissed without much thought all of the teams he thought could get relegated. If he was going to only consider what he saw as the top teams, he should have said that. My wife (a big Boston fan like him) says I'm being too hard on him, and I'm glad a byproduct of this is that it helped you choose Fulham!

20. jmh

jmh New Member

What do you expect? Simmons is a serious frontrunner.