Fulham v Huddersfield Town

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by SoCalJoe, Nov 6, 2014.

1. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

The result against Blackpool was disappointing to say the least, but there is no time to dwell on it because plucky Huddersfield will be showing up at the Cottage full of confidence. Going back to the first of October the Terriers have only lost once (last time out in a very respectable 3-2 loss at Derby).

One thing is for certain and that's if the defense doesn't tighten up there is ZERO chance of the team getting into playoff contention. The first goal for Blackpool (thanks for the highlights Mike) was the kind of D you expect to see in a pee wee soccer match.

We spoke about it in the chat on Wednesday, but for most of us this is first time seeing our team in a lower division and it's been eye opening. You can go from the top of the table to out of the playoffs like Norwich in a matter of a couple weeks. Fulham is sitting in 21st, but only 2 points out of 16th place. It's a very fine line between success and failure in the Championship and this is a statement match. COYW!!!!

Last edited: Nov 7, 2014
    encorespanish likes this.
  2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

We play Saturday, we win Saturday, no problem.

3. BarryWhite

BarryWhite Well-Known Member

My fear is nothing is that simple when your defense resembles Swiss cheese. On the plus side Ross McCormak should be back in the line up and Huddersfield's defense isn't much better at keeping the ball out of the net than Fulham's. So COYW's is about all I really have to offer.

4. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

The most disappointing thing about our recent defensive woes is that we had improved tremendously since Kit took over...until the Derby County Cup fiasco and then Blackpool. Don't know what happened, but the back line slump seems to coincide with the knock suffered by Tim Hoogland. Don't know if that's it, but if it is, somebody needs to step up and tighten up the rear guard. Otherwise, it could get ugly in a hurry if we start shipping goals like the Titanic again. After the Blackpool tie, it really doesn't matter to me too much about who the opponent is or who they've got playing, what their tactics and tendencies are, etc. We need to take care of business at home again, regardless of the opponent. Here's hoping the return of McCormack leads to better finishing and the return of scoring first. Although we've fought back gamely in recent contests where we've fallen behind, it's getting old. Time to get back on the front foot and stay there. As for Ruiz's "effort," I think we just need to keep running him out there while we have him. He may be one of those players that appears to be loafing at times, but his talent is unquestionable. We're a better team with him playing than not, and it appeared to me during the World Cup that that's just his method of operation. So, for better or worse, we're stuck with him, and his wage bill, until the end of January, when he'll surely move on. I say play him til he drops, or at least until he becomes Balotelli-like and becomes more of a liability than an asset. Right now, he's the latter. For now.

5. SoCalJoe

Ruiz looks like a glider style-wise, but I've never thought that he doesn't play hard. I honestly think that Fulham fans have turned up the microscope and nitpick his every movement incessantly. He scores a brace against Wigan and Fulham fans on all the different message boards for the most part thrash him. I'm sure it's tough on him to go from captaining your country's team to it's greatest moment at the WC to be frozen out on second tier English team that was sitting rock bottom. I'm glad Fulham management held strong and had a dollar value in mind and wouldn't budge just to get rid of him. I don't blame him for not being all smiles when he surely knows the supporters shred him. I like the fact that he is in a position where he has to produce in order to drum up interest for the next window. Bryan might be the happiest of players, but he does play at 100% effort and he's scoring goals.

6. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

To quote an ol' defiant Englishman re Ruiz: "Anger is an energy."

7. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

we're still winning tomorrow. Good thing too. 16th is better than in the relegation zone -- where we are now and where we'll stay if we DON'T win.

8. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

We're back in the relegation zone? Damnit! No predictions, just COYW's.

9. jumpkutz

10. jumpkutz

11. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

We're back out of the relegation zone? Woohoo! 17th place and a good bounce back win.

I like our ability to come from behind an/or recover from late equalizers to get results. If nothing else, we have heart again. After the last 2-3 years, the importance of that cannot be overstated.

encorespanish and dcheather like this.
  12. nevzter

It keeps you runnin', yeah, it keeps you runnin'

13. jumpkutz

I can watch that McCormack goal all day long. That was a striker's goal.

encorespanish and MicahMan like this.
  14. SoCalJoe

Best team spirit since Roy was in charge

15. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

16. nevzter

Thanks for the highlights - and I agree that was a fantastic goal

17. jumpkutz

FFC AT WEMBLEY.JPG Some of the lads today. I've got Amorebieta, not sure, not sure, Hyndman, don't know, Burn, Matt Smith. FFC AT WEMBLEY.JPG

18. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

All three goals were excellent. Really good stuff.

BarryWhite likes this.
  19. SoCalJoe

Lasse is fast becoming my favorite player.

20. BarryWhite

BarryWhite Well-Known Member

Great bounce back game as Matt mentioned. Looked like both teams could've scored a couple more but Fulham get three points from three lovely goals so hopefully it's onward and upward from here.