Fulham v Derby - Championship Playoffs 2018

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by MicahMan, May 9, 2018.

1. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

I didn't get to watch the second half - I forgot about prom photos with my oldest son. Stupid once in a lifetime memories getting in the way of football ;)

Once again we "dominate" a game, but our anemic offense means that possession time is irrelevant. The similarities to Reading are a bit unnerving for me.
    Leg 1 2017:
    Fulham Shots - 12, Reading - 3
    Fulham Shots on Target - 2, Reading - 1
    Leg 1 2018:
    Fulham Shots - 13, Derby 3
    Fulham Shots on Target - 2, Derby - 1

We had more opportunities but couldn't get anything in the net. I had hoped that Mitrovic would be the difference in that regard during these playoffs, but not yet.

This is only the second time all season that Fulham lost back-to-back matches and what a crappy time to do it. This is still winnable, but I have to admit I'm feeling pretty glum about Monday. Especially since I found out I have to drive to the airport during the second half of the match. If Fulham doesn't make it to Wembley I may just drive into the Patapsco River.

Highlights via Derby:

2. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

The new 'book" on us now seems to be 'don't let Mitrovic beat us.' It's been coming, especially the last few matches of the regular season, the losses to Birmingham and now Derby. He still got one or two decent looks yesterday, but teams aren't gonna let him play hold up man anywhere near their penalty box. He looks frustrated and tried a few theatrics, a few of whom the ref bought. But that's not going to get it done for the next 90 plus against Derby. It's gut check time, and we've got to figure out a way to counteract all the new attention given to #32. Yes, we created some good chances and missed some makeable shots, but that's par for the course in this game. I thought for all the world Cairney's strike was going to find the upper left corner, but he's just a fraction off lately. Is is possible his troublesome knee is still bothering him? He and others need to step up a lot if we're going to get it done Monday night. We may have gotten too comfortable with Mitro doing the dirty work, but now we need to find a way through by other means. Somebody needs to become a hero, and almost all are capable. Not just TC, but Targett, StefJo, McDonald, Ayite, Piazon and, of course, Sess the Boy Wonder, are all capable of such feats. I mean, even Kalas has some oomph. That run he made up the middle of the pitch at Milwall to open it up for Mitro was stupid good. And I agree wholeheartedly with my right honourable friend from South Texas that our corners must improve. Taking so many short is basically giving away a scoring chance. I hope we work on those along with kicks from the spot a lot between now and Monday night. I think this bunch can do it. We've got more heart and character than at any time since I've been a supporter, and I'm still optimistic and very bullish on this team. I just hope that Joka and the touchline braintrust can make the necessary tactical and personnel adjustments to regain the big Mo.'

3. astroevan

astroevan Well-Known Member

I thought Davies was MOTM for Derby. Mitrovic couldn’t do anything all night cause that guy was in his back pocket the entire time. Seriously, Mitro probably had to ask permission before adjusting his shorts.

Fulham need to attack quicker when the opponent is parking the bus and playing for a draw. Too many times Fulham gained possession and started passing back and forth, side to side. The wings rarely played an early cross. Think how Birmingham and Derby scored - there was only one attacker in the box. Fulham tend to wait until at least two (and the entire other team) is in position before playing the ball in.

Fulham aren’t out yet - if any team can drop a 4-0 score line on the opponent at any given time, this is the one. I’m hopeful... but we all know that Derby are already playing for 0-0. They are going to put 10 men behind the ball from the opening whistle. Even if they allow one, they have penalties to play for.

Disheartening facts: Fulham were the only higher ranked team of all 3 playoff divisions to lose the first match (2 wins, 3 draws). And (as the announcers mentioned) Fulham still haven’t won a single playoff match in 7 tries.

MicahMan likes this.
  4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

We cannot afford to concede an early goal. Derby are very organized and disciplined. If we score first, that's an entirely different story.

5. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

One of the toughest things in all of sports is to overcome playoff failures. The lads have got to put aside the ‘here we go again’ and ‘there will be major changes if we come up short’ thoughts. We need Slav to make the proper adjustments and more importantly have the boys mentally ready to fire on all cylinders. The supporters to get the Cottage rockin’. Our Premier League quality players to prove it. Finally, perhaps the football Gods can help out w/a lucky bounce or two.

6. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

Tomorrow will essentially be a match where we've already spotted the opposition a goal, so on a positive note consider the following:
    Fulham v. Sunderland
    Fulham at Barnsley
    Fulham v. Ipswich
    Fulham at Sheffield United

Those are all matches where Fulham went down a goal and came back to win it.

Continuing the theme of positivity, we want to win tomorrow by 2 goals or more, so also consider the following:
    Fulham at Millwall
    Fulham v. Leeds
    Fulham at Norwich
    Fulham v. Sheffield United
    Fulham v. Wolverhampton
    Fulham v. Aston Villa
    Fulham v. Nottingham Forest
    Fulham v. Burton
    Fulham at Cardiff
    Fulham at Nottingham Forest
    Fulham at Ipswich

Those are all matches Fulham won by two or more goals (and I'm not even counting 3 from the first list that could have been included)

More than half of Fulham's points this season came from those 15 matches. This Fulham squad is certainly capable of doing the necessary work to ensure a spot at Wembley.

encorespanish, HatterDon and jumpkutz like this.
  7. jumpkutz

8. dtowndough

dtowndough Active Member

I'm hoping that in the 2 days, they've come up with a plan to solve the issue of Derby swarming Mitrovic. I would love 3-1 for the good guys. COYW

9. jumpkutz

nevzter likes this.
  10. jumpkutz

11. astroevan

astroevan Well-Known Member

12. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

As expected from the quote Evan pulled - second verse, same as the first (except Kamara):

Bettinelli
    Fredericks, Odoi, Ream, Targett
    McDonald, Cairney, Johansen
    Kamara, Mitrovic, Sessegnon

Subs: Button, Kalas, Christie, Norwood, Piazon, Ayite, Fonte

I'm happy to see Kamara get the start. He's given us a spark recently, he's going to give Derby something different to think about, and I hope he gets us scoring early.

encorespanish likes this.
  13. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I continue to worry about Johansen. He often gives us the killer game-changing pass, but much more often he gives up possession to easily and is always one ugly look from a yellow card.

That's my only long-term nagging worry about Joka's choices.

I think we put three past them and move on to Wembley.

14. FulhamTX

FulhamTX Active Member

They did it!!!!! COYW

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

BarryWhite, MicahMan, nevzter and 2 others like this.
  15. jumpkutz

9847BE55-022E-49C1-81B7-F9457BAE31A3.gif giphy.gif 9847BE55-022E-49C1-81B7-F9457BAE31A3.gif 4444E1AA-AAD0-436B-BE9B-807E0605266D.gif I’m D5BE4155-E73B-46B3-AAE5-A308027BCD00.gif

Last edited: May 14, 2018
  16. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Night and day from Friday.

I have TWO Men of the Match: Ream and AK-47. Ream played his usual game, and Kamara played his usual big/strong/fast but with discipline and positional sense.

Could easily have been 4-0.

Now, why do we have to wait almost two weeks for the final?

BarryWhite likes this.
  17. jumpkutz

I think you know the answer to that one, my friend.

"The bureaucratic mentality is the only constant in the universe." Dr. Leonard "Bones" McCoy.

Last edited: May 14, 2018
  18. jumpkutz

By the way, if any of you all had money on Dennis Odoi in the match winning goal scorer pool, please private message me your pick for NEXT year's Kentucky Derby winner.

Thanks.

nevzter likes this.
  19. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

The match winner on A CORNER! I don't think there could have been a more unlikely goal.

I had to listen to GJ while going to the airport and I'm kind of glad I heard the match that way. GJ was so excited after the Sessegnon score that he yanked the cord out of his mic. His joy on the second goal made it even more fun. Then I lost my connection for the last 20 minutes before I could finally get the good news. The people at the gas station must have thought I was pretty weird as I spontaneously started moving like a dancing banana.

encorespanish, nevzter and jumpkutz like this.
  20. dtowndough

dtowndough Active Member

in true superstitious fashion, I went to Yoga at 1:00 to avoid the game and focus on some positive energy relying on only text updates from a friend. I was frantically trying to keep busy for the last 15 minutes without logging on to anything other than Fusa. I don't know how I will be able to stay away in 2 weeks, but I will not dare check any sites or watch a single minute. I will be glued to my phone for the texts to come through though. COYW.

encorespanish and nevzter like this.