Fulham @ Portsmouth

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by SteveM19, May 4, 2008.

1. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

I know it's only Sunday and the game isn't until next week, but I wanted to start a thread now, because my stomach is already doing backflips about it. I've never been this wound up for a game the week before, not when the Steelers made the Super Bowl two years ago, or any other time, and never any time I was rooting for that other team. This whole relegation issue is still a little foreign to us Yanks.

I though of one good omen this morning -- when West Brom engineered their Houdini act a few years ago, the team they beat on the final day was Portsmouth.

If we play like we did yesterday we'll be fine.

COYW

2. dtwondough

dtwondough New Member

I'm let some friends convince me to be worried about next week. Up until now, I wasn't. I really thought that if they got clear before last game, they would know what it will take to stay up. Now, i'm not as confident. Everything is working in our favor except for playing away. We've played extremely well when we were written off by all the "experts." Will portsmouth be putting everything out there to maintain their 8th position? Damn, i'm nervous, still have 7 days to go. thanks for getting this start Steve.

3. fulhamlocal

fulhamlocal New Member

I can understand why you are so anxious – we all are! That said, a lot is being made of the fact that Portsmouth (“Pompey”) will be in the FA cup final the following week and because of this they will not be inclined to over exert themselves. This coupled with the fact that Pompey don’t need the points could be advantageous to Fulham. That said, Pompey easily beat us at the Cottage last year; the score was 0-2 but if anything that was generous to Fulham. OK, we have a “new” team now but all Fulham fans should be clear about the fact that the last game of the season is not a guaranteed 3 points.

4. richardhkirkando

richardhkirkando New Member

For what its worth, I've already read a few Harry Redknapp quotes in which he says he's going to rest players for the Cup final. At this point, the FA Cup is the only way they get into Europe, short of some lucky results and an Intertoto bid.

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

we have to boss the midfield again. We did it at Derby and, evidently, at home to Brummie. If we can boss the midfield, we can win.

6. terrinh73

terrinh73 Member

I took my Pope John Paul II blessed rosary beads to the Brewhouse last week. They have not, and will not, leave my purse!

No predictions...just ulcers :)

7. EricD

EricD New Member

Come on Derby!!!!
    We can use their help too.

8. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I like Derby to kick some ass. Reading just cannot score. Poor Marcus H. He may be the most in-form goalie in the Prem right now, and the Royals can't get him a lead, and their defense is still shambolic. The Spuds should have won 4 or 5-0, but the Big Guy was aces all day.

I like the chances of another side with an American keeper also. Blackburn are getting stronger down the stretch and Santa Cruz is very dangerous now. I'm not saying anything or anything, but I'm saying that both Reading and Birmingham may be in for a hiding on Sunday.

9. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

I'd like to think Derby will be fired up for Reading since it's their last hurrah before going down, but great balls of fire on a pogo stick, they are bad. It is too bad for Hahnemann that their back line is so generous, but I am not expecting Derby to do anything other than lose. Again.

I expect more from Blackburn. Brum is a terrible side now too, especially defensively,and I think Bad Brad and co. will carry the day there.

The bottom line of which is a win is mandatory, same as the last two weeks.

No lineup predictions, other than play as close to the same one as the last two weeks, have Boca on the bench in case we need a defender who can score, come on Woy and COYW.

10. nmancini04

nmancini04 New Member

Yeah, I still think if we don't win, we go down. COYW do it one more time!

11. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

Dear Mr. Redknapp and members of the Portsmouth football team,

I'm writing to you in the hopes that even though I hate your guts, especially you Mr. Redknapp and that oversized noggin attached to your body, that you can find the decency to overlook my disdain for you and your supporters by not showing up for this weekend's match against Fulham. Now I understand that "you play the game to win", but, Hello?...don't you care about "dinero" more than anything? Won't you get more of that if you win the FA Cup the following week and thereby qualify for the UEFA Cup next season? What difference does it make if you send out your scrubs and your highly rated 15 year olds? Now I know they won't amount to anything but I'm sure that big head of yours thinks they are the best thing since sliced bread, right Harriet? ahemm...Harry. Excuse my cough...I've been sick for 4 months now but I'm about over it. All I need is for you to lay down this next match and even though I'll still be repulsed by you, I'll be able to at least smile when I hear your name. Feel free to write back and share your feelings although I'll apologize beforehand for not reading them as I ran out of toilet paper and could use any paper that comes my way. My sincerest thanks,
    omsdogg

12. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Well, thank goodness that's over. I've been actually rooting for The Undead today. If they'd have lost or drawn at Toon Town, they'd have no incentive to stick it to Bolton on Saturday. They wound up winning 0-2 and so are still neck-and-neck with Man U for the title.

So, If we can beat Pompey and Bolton can lose to the Scum by an over/under of 5 goals, we should be 16th rather than 17th by the time I get to church on Sunday.

Now, after hoping Chelsea would win, I have to go take a shower.

13. dtwondough

dtwondough New Member

do we really still have 6 days left? can't they just play Wed and end the suspense? Think we can have a record day in the chat room? Or do you think people will actually have the patience to stay away and watch the replay? No way I can, I'll be there.

Don, I'll be closer to your neck of the wodds, will be in Dallas this weekend. Ironically, I'll be with my best friend, the one that led me to Fulham. So, hopefully we will be celebrating together. COYW

14. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

I'm in a state of euphoria, and have been for over a week. I'm not nervous for the boys...yet, but instead I'm walking on sunshine to see our Whites in 17th place and in control of their fate.

With apologies to Steve McQueen, FFC have the bike's throttle gunned and are headed up that ramp...

COYW!!!

15. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I'll be happy to chat with the pair of you [and as many others as we can muster] in the Chatroom Sunday morning.

16. Optimizer

Optimizer New Member

That's the concern; that sort of effort is hard to replicate considering what we've seen so far this year. I hope the guys got one more in them, of course.

The Birmingham City defenders did Fulham a lot of favors with their strategy of kicking the ball out of bounds instead of clearing it and fouling players relatively close to the box. I would think Portsmouth would have better sense than BC.

17. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

I dont know whether to be in the chatroom or go to a pub to see the delayed broadcast at noon. What I do know is that for once we dont have to make the pilgrimage to Harrisburg, PA to worship my Mother-in-law on Mothers Day. I have put my foot down. I told my husband that I'm a mother too and this year we are doing what I want - staying in Cleveland to watch Fulham play Portsmouth. Woo-hoo to me for finally getting some you-know-whats.

18. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

Hodgson needs to play the video of Norwich getting beat 6-0 by us over and over and over again. Remember they went into the last game of the season knowing that a win and they would be good. They came to the Cottage and got throughly pounded by us. Let's not repeat Norwich's fate. We must go into Fratton Park and act like we need to score 5 goals. Even if we score the first goal, we should act like we need 4 more. If we score and we try and hold on, I hope we go down. We got into this position with attacking football, let's not change this now. Blackburn and Derby can do us huge favors, but if we count on those 2 to do us favors, then we deserve to go down. Derby is gonna lose to Reading and Birmingham will beat Blackburn. Fulham must win this game.

19. bearzfan4lfe

bearzfan4lfe New Member

I just started a new job today and the best thing I think that will come of it is that time will fly by leading up to the game on Sunday...I'll post some more un-insightful thoughts later in the week...

Until then...

UP FULHAM!!!!!!!!!!

20. tibor

tibor New Member

LOL you're killin' me smalls!