Frank Sinatra

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by IanHux, Mar 4, 2009.

1. IanHux

IanHux New Member

I'm finding that I'm falling in love with Frank Sinatra's music. Why can't music like this be made today? I don't know what it is about him but it's just intoxicating to listen to. Are there any other fans of Frank out there in FulhAmerica?

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I was about 14 or 15 -- in other words, younger than you are now -- when I became a fan. All these years later, I still appreciate his music, although, in his genre, I've come to recognize that there are others in his field that I prefer over him. While you continue to listen to him, also check out Joe Williams and Johnny Hartman.

There's lots of good stuff out there in many different styles and ages. Enjoy them all!

3. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

Sinatra fan here. It's more of an essence, than him being a great singer. Mr. Cool Confidence, and with joie de vivre.

4. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

I didnt care a whole lot for him, personally... but his music.. a whole different thing.

There's been good retreads, too... like Harry Connick, Jr

5. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Ian, between Audrey and Francia Albert Sinatra, you have the most class of any kid in your high school. I'm a big Sinatra fan, maybe more of the image than the music at times, and some of it was hereditary b/c my grandparents loved him, but he was fantastic.

A truly flawed man, as well, but fantastic.

6. RidgeRider

RidgeRider Member

Huge Sinatra fan here. I'm not so sure he was great person however who was the coolest cat of his time and you can sense he knew that in his music. I have several of his albums and never tire of his music. Ian I am quite impressed a young lad like you would take to Frank.

7. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Okay we were there once with Sinatra ("sin" being the operative syllable in his name) and then agian with Harry Connick, now lets just have a big snooze fest zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

You'll get bored Ian, in a few more days

8. jimsig

jimsig Active Member

We have a radio station in the Boston area, WPLM FM, that has a show every Sat night called Strictly Sinatra. I am not sure if they stream as their website is being redesigned.

9. IanHux

IanHux New Member

Well thats really flattering... and I really have my sister to thank for this. She's the one who introduced me to both Frank and Audrey

10. RDG

RDG Member

RE: Re: Frank Sinatra

Here are some other names that you might like. In any event, all understood the lyrics they were singing.

- Julius LaRosa (may have been lost in the shuffle, but he did have a great voice);
    - Bing Crosby;
    - Billie Holiday;
    - Edith Piaf;
    - Fred Astaire (yup! although his dancing was second to none, his singing was always overlooked).

Among the more recent singers:
    - Michael Feinstein;
    - Rod Stewart (yes, THAT Rod Stewart! Check out his American Songbook albums, though they do wear thin after the second one);
    - Amy Winehouse (probably the best of the new range of British female vocalists, though Duffy is pretty good, too).

Note: this is in no way an endorsement of all of the above. Personally, I never could stand Frank Sinatra, but have had to deal with people who LOVE his singing.

11. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

RE: Re: Frank Sinatra

RDG, I understood the first set (sort of), but your second set.........not so much.

12. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Rudy, Rudy, Rudy; Rod Stewart should be taken out and shot for what he did to American standards.

Ian; please pay attention to what Rudy said about Bing Crosby -- who basically invented the pop singer, and Fred Astaire, who treated a lyric better than anyone in history.

13. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

To continue the non-sequitur, Rod Stewart can't be shot outright in my book b/c he's forever forgiven by being in Faces...great band.

Back to the point, my grandpa turned me on to Sinatra and I think he's damn cool...my grandpa and Sinatra.

103.1 fm in L.A. used to carry the "Furious Frank at 5" everyday at 5pm (a Sinatra song at 5). It was great.

Try some Dean Martin too.

I'm just rambling now...

14. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

'cause you're a ramblin' guy

15. Clevelandmo

No one can compare to Sinatra for the type of songs he did. His voice was amazing and then he added much more to a song by the way he sang it - and his rhythm. However, I just find his songs boring now, but that's the way I am with most music. I get bored very easily when it comes to music.

One pop singer who had an amazing voice is Kate Bush, but she totally wasted it on weird songs that were suppose to be "artsy".

16. RidgeRider

RidgeRider Member

Mo, you're such an engineer. ;-)

17. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

I thought he was forever young??

18. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Aye, not so much anymore. He was hit by a downtown train.

19. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Rod Stewrt should not be shot!!

Why waste a perfectly good round on Rod Stewart.

Whoever said Amy Winehouse, I am at a stage in my life where I can't hear anything other than the soundtrack to a heroin addiction when I hear her voice. There's a death pool joke aboput her somehwere on the net, but I find her more sad and pathetic than talented.

Ian, also check out Dino -- from my hometown, Steubenville, OH, who has a Dean Martin fest ever year in the summer! Yeah baby!!

Mo, it was interesting you mentioned Kate Bush, because I just listened to Under the Pink by Tori Amos, the piano player. Her first few CDs were fantastic pop.

20. Clevelandmo

I've not listened to Tori much, but she's certainly a lot like Kate Bush.