First Hockey Experience

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by IanHux, Feb 9, 2009.

1. IanHux

IanHux New Member

So a couple weekends ago I went to my first live hockey game. It was a great time!!! It started off with an obviously staged fight right after the first faceoff. It was a rollercoaster of a game. 1st period saw the home team dominate with two great goals. In the 2nd period it was the reverse. The score stayed 2-2 until the last minute of the 3rd period when the game winning goal was scored by the home team, Wenatchee Wild. I'm pretty much hooked and will definitely return to watch some more.

2. tonyb

tonyb New Member

Did u play? Or watch? I play ice hockey do u ? It is really fun. I'm a new York islanders fan. Let me know

3. IanHux

IanHux New Member

I watch. Not much opportunity around my parts to play hockey. I would love to give it a shot at least once in my life. Haven't really found an NHL team to follow but I'm thinkin I should start. What position do you play?

4. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

Hockey is great live.

5. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Right on right on! A lot of people who actually give hockey a chance and pick up on some of the ins and outs of the game end up loving it, particularly if they can see it live. A lot like soccer in this way.

The town I grew up in back in MN has a team in the same league as Wentachee. Its quality is underrated and it always produces strong players, hopefully your team will be able to make it long term.

Tune into the NHL playoffs when they come around if you get a chance. Were two and a half months out and the race is already red hot in the west!

Western Conference
    Team GP Pts
    1. * San Jose 50 79
    2. * Detroit 53 77
    3. * Calgary 53 66
    4. Chicago 51 66
    5. Dallas 52 59
    6. Anaheim 56 59
    7. Minnesota 52 57
    8. Vancouver 52 56
    -------------------------------------
    9. Edmonton 53 56
    10. Columbus 53 55
    11. Los Angeles 51 53
    12. Nashville 53 53
    13. Phoenix 54 53
    14. Colorado 53 51
    15. St. Louis 52 50
    * = Division Leader

6. stlouisbrad

stlouisbrad Well-Known Member

Hockey is a great sport to see live. TV really dosen't do it any justice. I've been a St. Louis Blues season ticket holder for the past 4 seasons. The Blues will be a force in the coming years, so if you need someone to suport I recommend them.

7. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Hockey is definitely the sport that suffers most on television. Also hurting it is the overexpansion, the strike, and Gary Bettman is a terrible commissioner, but the game is fantastic.

I have a team (Carolina Hurricanes), but have barely followed the league at all this year, so I will have to defer to others on the board for a team suggestion.

8. tonyb

tonyb New Member

I play as a left defensmen

9. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

If ever ONE sport needed HiDef TV, it's hockey. Still not as good as live but at least you can see what's happening. Problem being the camera angles need to be so wide it is useless for those watching on std def.

That said I still say it was better in the 'olden days' when the fights were more ad hoc and you couldnt see 'em coming. Now it's half RAW. Still fun in the arena, though.

How about them BJ's!!! semi-massive!

10. stlouisbrad

I’m still buzzing over my St. Louis Blues. They were able to go from 15th in the west on February 12 to clinching a playoff spot yesterday. The whole event reminds me of The Great Escape last year for Fulham. What an unbelievable turnaround. Let’s go Blues!

11. pettyfog

Ridiculous! Just shows how stupid playoffs are. If this was run right, they would be happy with appearing mid-single table. And the Islanders, Lightning, and Avalanche would be relegated.

{/snark}

12. stlouisbrad

I agree with you, but I'll take what I can get.

13. pettyfog

Definition 'snark'

And to put a point on it, note that my local BJ's are in playoffs for very first time. In a city that couldnt even sustain a 2nd tier hockey team.

14. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

Re: RE: First Hockey Experience

Given your location, I'd suggest the Vancouver Canucks. When I was in Seattle, Vancouver was part of my sales territory and I used to go up and take customers to a couple of games a year. The crowds were always good and of course, being Canada, very knowledgable. Plus, there's a bar (when you get older) nearby where a number of players/legends hang out after the game. The best was meeting Tiger Williams and listening to him tell stories over a couple of pints. Very cool.

15. dave2d2

dave2d2 New Member

I second that pick. The Canucks are geographically close to you, have a loyal fan base, and you won't be considered a poser by those of us who have been ice hockey fans for a considerable amount of time. Jumping on the Detroit Red Wings bandwagon would be like an American choosing Manchester United as "their team". Immediately elminate any team from a former confederate state. Hockey does not belong in towns like Miami, Phoenix, Anaheim, or San Jose. An original six pick could be classy(NY Rangers, Toronto Maple Leafs, Chicago Blackhawks, Montreal Canadiens, and Detroit Red Wings), however see note on Detroit above and Montreal has a ton of Championships that you are not aware of. Best of Luck and btw I am A NJ Devils fan since 1983. Grew up in Jersey live in NY.

16. IanHux

IanHux New Member

Well I shall consider the Canucks. Vancouver is a beautiful city I wouldn't mind visiting to go see some hockey being played.

17. dave2d2

dave2d2 New Member

Good choice, seeing hockey in Canada is a great experience. Good luck!

18. MisfitKid

MisfitKid New Member

Oh no, you didn't just say that! Them's fight'n words. :wink:
    I guess all those sell-outs over the years in Jersey is a better indicator... :roll:

19. dave2d2

dave2d2 New Member

I know this is archaic thinking, but at least we can play pond hockey in NJ. How many times do you bring your skates, gloves, sticks and a thermos of hot chocolate to the frozen ponds of San Jose? :D

20. pettyfog

The Magic Shot!

9 years old, plays in U12 league. Dad taught him but he failed 20 of 20 until he took the ice in Boston Garden.

From Every angle