Fifth Anniversary: of FUSA's Warhol Moment

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, Apr 5, 2012.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

"Beers With Wynalda"
    Discuss.
    To clarify something, Mike had nothing to do with it, as I recall he was neutral on it, so dont blame him.
    It was between ChicagoTom, Christian and me. It would have been published whether we did it or not. Indeed it was and we kept Bigsoccer out of the target zone.

2. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

I remember listening to Jim Rome talking about it on his radio show and saying the quotes appeared on (Rome's pronounciation) 'FULL HAM' usa.com. Wynalda probably wanted to strangle WB. :bow-yellow:

3. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Here's the full article that was posted on FulhamUSA back in the day:

4. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Reading the entire interview, I've always wondered about how the interview went down from beginning to end. I don't think CF meant to do anything untoward to Mr. Wynalda, but part of me always thought some Wynalda's comments were not meant to published (or at least he was hoping it wasn't afterwards).

I still remember watching Sportscenter in the morning and seeing Fulhamusa.com mentioned...I couldn't stop laughing. The site with very humble beginnings had indeed received its 15 minutes of fame in the soccer world.

5. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

:clap:

6. jimsig

jimsig Active Member

I wish I had been around at that time. Wonder if that video of SportsCenter is around somewhere, would love to see it.

7. MisterF

MisterF New Member

Wow I've never heard of this, pretty cool!

8. pettyfog

Here's a couple things of interest.
    Even though that piece buried itself and we didnt put up a special link to it, it continued to get hits long afterwards. IIRC, last time I looked at hits it was at almost 30,000 reads, way ahead of second place which I think was something by Don. at about 3000

I've often thought about the effect it had on Waldo's life and career and it's unfortunate it played out that way, but you have to realize, that is who he was and if not Christian it would be someone else and if not here .. well.. like I said, Bigsoccer.
    Waldo might be a bigger light but Bill Archer was using the vernacular before 07 and has since and no one is ever going to complain.

And one interesting point.. the interesting response by alleged 'Professionals' bitching about it being 'Unprofessional' to publish it verbatim.. what a laff!

The most bitter critic was Andrea Canales, already on her way down the ladder, the small talent hack would have written it in a minute, if she'd had the chance.
    If that's CYA apologeia to some, so be it. But I'm now comfortable with it and I hope Christian is too.

One thing about that interview, it was a hit on all the soccerforums in the country: [url=http://www.soccerpubs.com/boa...w.soccerpubs.com/boards/index. ... ntry352801

[/url]
    The only sour note on there was when the 'apology' came out

9. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

Good post Fog. I'd kinda forgotten about this.

10. nevzter

Good stuff, 'fog. Thanks for sparking the reminder of CF's "Beers with...."

Come on Full Ham!

11. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

I never forgot what Wynalda said about Klinsmann in that interview. He said it somewhere else too. He's know done a complete 180 on the subject. Oh, but then after the olympic qualifying debacle he's sort of come back around about 90 degrees.

I also love Wynalda's answer to CF's Landon Donovan question. He was dead on with that answer and luckily Landon decided he wanted to be a soccer player. You know that wonderful day when we started calling him Mandon.

So someone help me remember. Was it Wynalda's Jim Rome comments that got him fired or the whole interview and the profanity? Hasnt Jim Rome said equally controversial things at some point. I dont listen to the guy but the few times I've heard him he sounds so inflamed that I have to imagine he's crossed the line. All those types do at some point.

12. DCDave

DCDave Member

Wow, it's been five years?! My how time flies. Our little moment in the sun.

13. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I remember the old site had some statistics about most posts, etc. As I remember the most reads of a front page article for this one was about 30-40 times greater than all the others combined.

I didn't care much for Waldo as a player or as a commentator until this interview. Now I'm a HUGE fan. Even the ritual apologies to his fellow ESPN employees didn't bother me. Waldo was sitting down drinking a beer with a football fan and speaking his mind. Loved it then; love it now.

Thanks, 'fog

americanmike likes this.
  14. WhitesBhoyMIA

WhitesBhoyMIA New Member

Hello Fulham Nation,

Just saw this, as I was doing a random search because there is absolutely nothing on TV on Monday nights.

Thank you, everyone, for reading, some enjoying, and several commenting on what was just one of those odd moments in life when it all seems a bit surreal (but enormously fun!).

Cheers,
    Christian

americanmike likes this.
  15. nevzter

Does this WhitesBhoy siting mean another 6 weeks of winter?!!!?

Anyhow, good to hear from you and hope all is well.

COYW

americanmike likes this.
  16. WhitesBhoyMIA

WhitesBhoyMIA New Member

I am in South Florida now, and I can report that there is no winter.

americanmike likes this.
  17. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

So having just come back to the site after a while today, I love the fact I've stumbled across this thread. I remember the moment I sat in front of the TV, cereal in hand when SportsCenter started to talk about the site and interview. I nearly passed out.

Tom was in touch with Wynalda afterwards whom was not pleased to say the least.

Definitely a Warhol moment.

SoCalJoe and nevzter like this.
  18. pettyfog

Mike!!!!!!
    I too sent Eric an email explaining the entire line of events, how the decision to publish was made. Never heard back.
    And I felt bad about it. Somewhat.
    But like I said, if it wasnt us, it would have been BigSoccer. And if it wasnt Christian who wrote up the piece, it would have been someone else.