Fed Up.......

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by IanHux, Mar 13, 2009.

1. IanHux

IanHux New Member

..... with the state of the game in this country. I'm giving up on soccer by ives. I can't be caught reading the same blog that so many other ignorant fans are. It really pisses me off. Which is also what I hate about the MLS haters. With the one exception of WhitesBhoy who is actually sane and has good reasoning, these "eurosnobs" don't like MLS just because it isn't the Premiership. There is pointless discussion about where our ....OUR.... domestic league ranks in comparison with other leagues in the world. Last time I checked some of the craziest, most dedicated fans don't give a fuck about that. Look at Turkish fans, or have you ever seen Deportivo Saprissa play? I mean come on!!! Maybe if those of us who can, just go out and support our home town teams like those fans mentioned earlier this game will get the attention and respect it deserves. I'm sick and tired of people who just speak and think they know everything because they're a fan of the game. I'm sick of the majority of America not taking this sport and MLS seriously. I might be joining Mike and all you Londoners in a few years if these thing don't change...

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

ianhux ... as we used to say in the 60s, "keep the faith, baby" Forget Ives, and even forget Whitesbhoy. What's magic about the game is what happens between the lines. The MLS is the best we have, and it ain't a bad example of the game. There's beauty and symmetry and motion and balance in all levels of football. The best team goal -- and by that I mean created by an entire team -- I ever saw was at a Sunday morning B league match in England while I was waiting for my own B league pub side to play.

Screw the commentators; screw the experts; screw the game haters, ianhux. At your young age you have found what they're looking for and couldn't recognize if it fell in their lap. Never mind the idiots. Go out and watch the greatest game in the world. Go out and play the greatest game in the world. Go out and be part of the greatest game in the world.

This is old people talkin' to you, lad. The new MLS season is almost upon us, and Fulham are getting ready for the stretch drive. PLUS, you got -- what -- 2.5 months until summer vacation? Go for it! We'll be right here to hear how good it is.

3. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Well, the first thing you've done right is quit reading Ives -- the empty wagons there make a lot of noise.

As an aside, can you get KJR from Seattle in your neck of the woods? I could at Ft Lewis, and Ives' loudmouths are the same as the people who called into the show -- the Seahawks blow, trade everyone on the M's, etc. etc. How much of that can you listen to before you throw your radio out of the car? It's the same principle.

My point is similar to Don's. You have a nascent, improving product at your doorstep, and one that is a lot of fun. Is it one of the best leagues in the world? Of course not. But look how the league has improved. I barely paid attention to the MLS for 10 plus years because it had a distinct semi-pro feel about it, and in a 10 team league with 8 making the playoffs, who really cared at all what happened until the end of the season? Now, it is the fourth biggest league in the country -- it's overtaken the NHL at age 14, that is quite a feat. Pick up this month's Four Four Two -- they did their first ever MLS season preview. 8 pages on RWB "soccer". They did a pretty nice job on it. Would they have done that in the past? Hell, why should they have done it? The league just wasn't up to snuff up until a few years ago.

There is a lot to criticize about the MLS. You could say that about the NFL, MLB, the NBA, movies of today, you get the idea. There is also a lot to look at and say, " Wow, they did a pretty good job there". They stuck by their guns in the Beckham/ AC Milan situation and said if you're going to take away the most recognizable player in our league, you're going to pay the market rate. And by and large, they did just that.

Don't blow sunshine up Christian's posterior!! What's wrong w/ you :wink: . And if you go to Europe, get ready to pay astronomical taxes that do not exist on our side of the pond.

4. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

ianhux5, you are extremely smart and wise beyond your years, and certainly beyond the many ancient years of Don as well.

Continue being as passionate as you are about "The World's Most Beautiful Game" and it will take you where you need to go. Just don't let the passion cloud your intelligence.

I'm off to have some Spencer and Steve haterade...., delicious.

5. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

I'm confused ian. Are you considering leaving because of the disrespect the league gets, or because of the league itself.

MLS isnt bad. But it needs to overcome hurdles, mainly international competition and the cessation of the expansion.

The league will never grow if more teams are added to the current economic structure.

6. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

:lol:

Good stuff, I made some with lemon-lime.

7. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

I realize I'm hitting the hornets nest with a stick here, but does anyone else find it ironic in a thread about people "hating" on the US game, the author's avatar is "hating" on arguably the US's best player? :wink:

In all seriousness though ian, why do you give a rat's hindparts what other people think? If you've found something you enjoy, then enjoy it. Find others who do and discuss it with them. If that avenue does not exist, make it. Much like this little slice of the internet dedicated to our little club. I'd go mad going to Prem boards (never been to one) trying to lobby respect for Fulham from ManU and scum fans, or worse Serie A and La Liga fans.

As far as the state of the game goes, MLS isn't the only measuring stick. As someone who does not follow it (I'd like to think I'm sane as well, but the jury's out), I do support the USMNT and from my perspective, soccer is more respected and receives more coverage today than at any other time that I can remember. But be careful what you wish for. Mainstream isn't always what it's cracked up to be.

8. BarryP

BarryP New Member

Good advice Ag and I think I'll do just that.

As an aside guess what I saw today while driving by a local elementary school? What was that you ask? It was exactly zero kids on the basketball courts and somewhere between a dozen to twenty kids playing soccer. Can you imagine kids playing soccer at recess for fun. I can now.

9. IanHux

IanHux New Member

Ok maybe I just got caught up in the heat of it. I guess what I'm really trying to get at is that if we could just be fans being fans for the sport we love, eventually a lot of the issues we argue about will work themselves out. Timmyg, I didn't really mean that I actually was going to leave and I absolutely love the MLS and a lot of the fanbases. It just gets tiring when the most outspoken of these fans say something without doing a lick of thinking or research...... anyway its not as drastic as I made it out to be. I just want people to realize that it's not about the problems we have that need to be solved, it's our attitude towards fandom.

10. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Get used to being in the minority, ian. It's a good place to be.

11. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Ian, read this:

Soccer: The next big thing?

I'd add to him, that MLS is exactly 'Minor League' and there's nothing wrong with that... especially if you're comparing it to minor league baseball.

http://www.bizjournals.com/dayton/stories/2008/08/18/story6.html

Now read that carefully, you'll realize why Columbus {AAA} went to Dayton {A} to get consulting on how to build their new park.

....a season ticket waiting list 9,000 deep,... Why? Because going to see 'A' baseball in Dayton is FUN!!!

More fun? You need ancillary stuff like this:

Why did that happen? Because Claddagh Downtown went 'above and beyond' to cater to the US fanbase for the WCQ. There were many raves from Sam's Army and other out of towners on how much fun was had in the weekend experience.

It takes everything and everyone to make it work. If Nordecke was organic, only a fortunate yet unforeseen accident resulting from the Crew Stadium building that stage, what can be done when you follow those examples?!!

12. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

I like the rant Ian, I'm in to rants these days. You are totally right! Maybe those guys on the blogs have to show what they know about the game because they never had a chance in hell of playing in the MLS or the USL or a college team or... There is nothing wrong with expecting people to use their brains, to actually think about why they like soccer to begin with.

Don is right,

These past two weekends my 8 yr old's team (indoor soccer) were an example of this. In one game they were playing the first place team and were down two players on a large field ( a big deal because indoor is fast). By the half, they were down 1-0 and exhausted, but for some reason these 8 year olds did not give up in what was "just another game". They worked harder, fought harder, and worked as a team. Reinforcements in the form of the most intense player on the team came just after the half, and they crafted 3 goals to win 3-2. Yesterday, they just played team ball that stood out so much that bystanders were remarking about it, remarking about how well they play as a team, how well they play soccer. These little 8 year olds made an impression on everyone around them through soccer. It was great. Soccer can be great at almost every level. You are right Ian, keep it up. Enjoy the game, support the game.

13. JP-STL

JP-STL New Member

The opinion piece from the sportswriter in Houston that Pettyfog referenced above makes a big deal about the lack of a "major" TV contract for the MLS, and says that ratings forced ESPN to drop its "game of the week" format.

Was it ratings or was it revenue? Judging soccer's popularity based on TV contracts is difficult, since there are no commercial breaks. Even with a decent sized audience, the network can't make any money. IMO, the lack of potential TV revenue is the biggest obstacle to soccer becoming a "major" sport in the U.S.

Forgive me for this potentially stupid question from a soccer newbee: Is it a regulation from FIFA (or some other governing body) that no commercials be aired during a game? Is that sacrosanct?

I'm wondering if a game could be broadcast "nearly live," i.e., on a 10-15 minute delay basis. During "lulls" in the game, the network could cut away for a minute of commercials. Viewers would see 75-80 minutes of the game, on a nearly-live basis, and the network would get to air 10-12 minutes of commercials. I know the purists would howl, but I think making it profitable to broadcast would help to grow the game here in the U.S.

14. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

JP. Yeah, if you want to turn off every soccer fan you have and ensure they spend 0 minutes watching the next one, go ahead and cut out game time with commercials. Sorry, few things will tick off soccer fans than doing that - we don't even like it when they split screen to show some story on another sport.

Soccer is the most televised game in the world. Networks pay billions for TV rights to soccer and just show commercials at half time. If they can do it, so can ESPN. The ESPN issue was simply ratings based - even those half time commercials won't make much money if no one is watching.

15. Bradical

Bradical Member

I for one would be opposed to stopping the action of the game in any way to make way for commericals. As I've probably stated here before, it is in part the scarcity of commercials which first drew me to the game. I have no problem with the way that ESPN/ABC makes up for this, what with the ad logo at the top of the screen or even a pop up ad after a goal (which I noticed this weekend on FSC - is that new?).

The key to the game being successful here is to increase the interest level in people like me - 18 to 42 year old males who have traditionally been US sport fans only.

I am the American Sports Machine's worst nightmare. From birth, I was indoctrinated as a US sports fan - I was born during the 3rd quarter of Super Bowl X, and could name all 28 NFL teams (+ details) by age 4. That's just football. I was into the NHL, NBA, and baseball as well, memorizing entire rosters and such. But things started to turn in the mid-nineties - the NBA went into obvious decline, the NFL started to emulate the NBA, and the NHL started to get shoved out. In other words, they had me at the genetic level and they ultimately lost me. The void created by my decline in US sport-fanaticism made way for European soccer.

1) The first solution (part of which is well in place) is for more top notch soccer (EPL, Serie A, La Liga) to be shown in the US and be available to the viewing public. I think it's a very important step that ESPN shows some Champions League games, and all of the Euro/World Cup games. ESPN does this because they get some immediate return on investment, but they have the real eye on the future - even they get that soocer is going to be huge. The rule, unfortunately, is that you can't be a huge sport unless you're on ESPN. The NHL learned this the hard way. But no sport on the globe has a higher ceiling (read: viewership) than soccer, and people recognize quality.

2) A second solution would be for the USMNT to become a world force and go far in a World Cup. Alot of Americans (myself included) get turned onto soccer via the World Cup, and having a home team on a good run to really root for would cause the soccer scene in this country to explode. Similarly, a US (non-goalkeeper) player emerging to become an international club sensation (such as, being a star on a Big Four club) would help alot, too. Landycakes, I am still looking in your direction.

If it can happen to me, it can happen to anyone.

16. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Let's correct a mis-perception here: That there is no advertising during televised Big League matches.

International and big club soccer broadcasts contain more brand advertising, by time seen on screen, than any other sport in the world.
    It's not the viewers' fault if the advertisers dont know what to do with it.

Corporations, Leagues and Clubs should be paying the networks to carry their games, not the other way round.

17. JP-STL

JP-STL New Member

Agreed. I'm not proposing any change to the game itself, just the broadcasting of the game. Don't stop the action... just skip over some of it during the broadcast and replace it with commercials. The players and fans in the stadium would not be affected. The game would go on as usual.

...but the networks are not going to do this unless there is money in it. Thus, my proposal.

Brad, your story mirror's mine. I was an avid sports fan throughout my youth and young adulthood. I was a half-owner of season tickets for the baseball Cardinals for over 10 years. I had season tickets for the Blues (the NHL team) for a few years. Watched NFL every Sunday religiously even after our team left town for Arizona.

Then, as family and career obligations grew, I backed off more and more. I cancelled my season tickets, and eventually stopped caring altogether...I did not watch or follow any sport regularly.

Then, during the 2006 World Cup, my sons were enthralled. It was part sporting event and part geography lesson, and they loved it. I watched with them, and I got hooked, too. At first, just as a way to stay connected to my sons (all of whom play soccer). Now, its gone beyond just a parenting tool, and I'm becoming a fan in my own right.

I sure hope we get an MLS franchise here in STL. I'm on the list for season tickets if we do.

18. JP-STL

JP-STL New Member

That's how it used to work 'round here for the local broadcasts of the Blues and Cardinals. The teams bought broadcasting time from a local station. Then they (the team) hired the announcers, produced the telecast, and sold the advertising time. The team took all the rist, and thus reaped the profits if they did well.

Not sure if that is the case anymore.

19. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

To echo pettyfog's comment, advertisers advertise, you just may have not noticed as much (at least consciously). Next match, take a look at the scrolling billboards and/or names of stadiums. And oh yeah, every teams strips.

If I were a business, on a jersey is where I'd want to be. And if I were a club, I'd make them pay through the teeth.

What sponsor names are on football, basketball, baseball, hockey shirts?...........exactly. There are very available advertising and revenue streams out there without polluting The Beautiful Game with traditionally American attention deficit marketing promos.

20. JP-STL

JP-STL New Member

Thats ridiculous, Andy. There is a huge difference. In other parts of the world, the game was already hugely popular before TV started broacasting it. They weren't trying to grow an audience (or a sport)...just tapping into an already-strong demand.

ESPN faces a completely different situation. There is almost no demand for televised soccer, at least relative to other sports. So, if we want to see televised soccer, we're going to have to pay the price in one way or another. We can pay directly via networks like Setanta and MLS Direct Kick. But the audience won't grow much. Not many folks are going to buy a TV package to see if they like the sport.

It has got to be available on "free" TV, like ESPN, if it is to grow. If you can come up with a way to profitably broadcast domestic soccer on ESPN without commercials during the game, I'd love to hear about it...and so would the folks at ESPN.