European Political Football

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by WhitesBhoy, Apr 3, 2009.

1. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

Well done, Sir.

Obama sidesteps soccer question

Friday, Apr 3, 2009 7:00 AM ET

[AMERICANS ABROAD] President Barack Obama, who played soccer as a boy while he was living in Indonesia but became a basketball enthusiast when he moved back to Hawaii, turned down a chance to chime in on World Cup qualifying at the G20 Summit in London.

Asked if he would wish England good luck in its game against Ukraine, Obama, ever the diplomat, said:

"I have had enough trouble back home picking my brackets for the college basketball tournament that's taking place there, called March Madness, stirred up all kinds of controversy, the last thing I'm going to do is wade into European football. I didn't get a briefing on that, but I sense that would be a mistake."

England won the game, 2-1.

2. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Looks like his staff actually prepped him properly... for a change.

3. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Wow, that was goooood.

Mr. President, are you still West Ham for life?

4. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

GW: European Football?? I had no idea. Woo-hooo, hook 'em horns!!

5. Bradical

Bradical Member

GW: I love watching the World Cup qualifications. I enjoy watching players such as Did-ee-ur Drog-bah, of Coat-Ivwahr. Or Robin Van Purcee, who is Dutch, but plays for the Netherlands. Or Frank Re-bur-ee, of that country we hate, France. Or...

Interviewer: Thank you, Mr..

GW: Wait, I got a couple more names I wanna pronouce...

6. dtwondough

dtwondough New Member

well at least he got that right. Unlike the NIT where he picked the Penn State "Nillany Lions"