Europa Final: Fulham v Atletico Madrid

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by general125, May 3, 2010.

1. general125

general125 New Member

Europa Final only on DirecTV

EPL talk seems to think the Europa League final will only be on DirecTV channel 461. I thought GolTV had the EL rights and I figured they would show the final.

http://www.epltalk.com/blackburn-v-arse ... ted-states

Either way, I'm going to be watching it at a bar in San Antonio on the 12th.

And in fashion news, we're wearing the blue kit.

2. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Re: Europa Final only on DirecTV

Well GOOD... what you mean is you're joining Don and the usual SA suspects!!

But Goltv didnt show all the Europa anyway... most had just DTV listings.

3. general125

general125 New Member

RE: Re: Europa Final only on DirecTV

Yeppers, I have the plane ticket bought and a few hours of vacation burning a hole in my pocket.

I can't watch another big Fulham game by myself. I need beer and like-minded individuals.

4. dtwondough

dtwondough New Member

RE: Re: Europa Final only on DirecTV

well damn, i just received my blue kit in the mail saturday. Had I known there would be a "special" kit, I would have waited. oh well. Still very happy!

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I'll still be wearing LAST season's kit with Volz #2 on the back.

Mr. Fog, Matt and I will make sure the lad is picked up at the airport, delivered back some hours later, and that he doesn't dehydrate in the South Texas sun through lack of liquid refreshment.

6. pettyfog

I wasnt worried.. i'm trying to find out what Crew/Fulham/Prem fans in Cols are doing... hoping Claddagh or somewhere in Arena District rather than Fado.

7. pettyfog

Fulham v Atletico Madrid

Considering circumstance, it isnt too early to put this up.
    From FoxSoccer site, Here's what I would call an interesting factoid for the final:

8. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

I really don't know what's going to happen. Do we have enough left to win it? Can players like Etuhu handle the pressure of a European final? I don't know.

I'm going to be bold and say the players play the best game of their lives and destroy Atletico.

3-1 Fulham.

9. SteveFakeBlood

SteveFakeBlood Member

Broward County , FL (from DuPage County, IL)
    OK, so I'm in a good situation that has comically bad timing:
    I just got a new job and next week will be my first week. It's only part-time and I work 5-9. Which is all great since the game starts at 1:45, unfortunately, my job is at best 40 minutes West of me and probably at best an hour 15 minute drive from the nearest pub in Chicago that will definitely show it (assuming no construction and not driving into the teeth of the rush hour- which I will be).

Yeah, I'm being whiny, it's just frustrating that I will probably come so close to being able to go out and watch the game (and probably would anyway if I weren't on edge being in the first week at a new job and not knowing how well slight lateness is tolerated and given rush hour traffic during Chicago's construction season- whether I'd be minutes late or an hour late).

Anyway, I was sad to see this thread because I was hoping against hope that ESPN2 would televise it, but I'm guessing there are some sort of contractual issues involved...

I saw via the UEFA site that their site will not broadcast the game live. I saw that Live Audio is available, but it doesn't look like that's part of the 1.99 Euro package for a game, but rather part of the 40 Euro season-long package. BBC5 Sport claims to have live audio, but I know they've blacked out the US in the past.

I'm planning to be in FUSA Chat and I suppose that someone will invariably be able to find a video stream from somewhere, but I just wanted to check if there are actually other reliable alternatives for audio or video beyond going out or watching DirecTV. I figured if anyone would know, it'd be someone on this board. I'll take what I can get and I appreciate the video streams that nice folks on the board take the effort to find, they unfortunately tend to go out at inopportune times. Thanks.

~Steve

10. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

Steve -- if you can manage to wait until about 7-8pm EST I'm sure UEFA will air the match on delay on their website for just $1.99.

I did it for the first Juve game and must say I was quite, quite impressed.

11. general125

general125 New Member

12. general125

general125 New Member

I will have my last year's home number 23 Dempsey shirt on in San Antonio.

13. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

A fair question, 24. To my knowledge only Tha Big Aussie and Cap'n Danny have any experience at European finals. At least we'llbe familiar with the stadium, and I think a lot of locals will be cheering for us.

14. jmh

jmh New Member

I'm not sure why Etuhu was singled out considering he has as much experience in European finals (that is to say, zero) as most of the rest of our squad. For all we know, it's Hangeland or Dempsey who can't handle the pressure.

But in any case, it's just as much of an issue for Atletico as it is for us; the last final they were in was the Copa Del Rey in 1996, and as far as I can figure Forlan is the only guy in their squad who's been in this kind of match before (from his ManU days).

15. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

For those looking for more info on our opponents, I found this to be an interesting link.

http://madridatleticos.blogspot.com/

Sounds like we're the stronger defensive side and they're the stronger offensively. Given the nature of these one-off matches, the better defensive team should have an advantage. I also like that their keeper is only 19.

16. jmh

jmh New Member

Re: Fulham v Atletico Madrid

Not only that, they were a hair's breadth from finishing last in their Champions League group and being eliminated from European competition altogether, rather than dropping down into the Europa League. Despite being tied for the fewest points and having the worst goal differential and the fewest goals scored in their group, they barely edged APOEL (champions of Cyprus) based on away goals - the two teams drew 0-0 in Madrid and 1-1 in Nicosia.

17. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

RE: Re: Fulham v Atletico Madrid

Anybody know the odds on this match? NO, I am NOT betting on it; I'm just interested in finding out whether we're actually favorites for this thing.

18. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

Re: RE: Re: Fulham v Atletico Madrid

http://sports.ladbrokes.com/en-gb/footb ... e213328303

19. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

damn; we are SERIOUS favorites. I'm not quite sure how to act behind that.

20. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

I've seen commercials yesterday saying it is on GolTV.