England V. Portugal [R]

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by americanmike, Jun 28, 2006.

1. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

I'm a bit torn over this one. I will be pulling for England 100% but I really want to see Boa have a good run out. He's our last representative and if England wins 3-1 and Boa is the scorer then it is a perfect day for me.

Not sure if Portugal will have Ronoldo back but even if he is healthy, I expect England to win this one and in good fashion.

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I think England is hitting its stride. I think they have the best chance to go all the way since 1970, but I'm not saying it on the Offal. What a bunch of negative gits about what I think is a pretty solid side. I'm leaning more to 2-0.

I've given up on Boa getting a decent run.

3. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

... heh.
    What we're seeing on the offal is pretty transparent. Fans that have been disappointed so many times that they become negative so they dont queer it.

Sorta superstition. Looking for a good gamme from both sides, but I think it will be England... maybe 2-1

4. RDG

RDG Member

After having seen Boa actually participate, I hate to agree with the American announcer (was it O'Brien??) who noted that Boa will not get any more playing time this WC. The factors behind this observation came about when he was put in for Figo for the last few minutes of the Mexico game and he: 1-) got a stupid yellow card (yeah, I know it's easy to do that, but this was STUPID); and 2-) he didn't stall by dribbling the ball to the corner, instead attempting to make a great play and score a goal. Naturally, the ball was taken away and Mexico got another chance to push forward. I'd love to see him play again in this WC, but it ain't gonna happen.

Come on Engerrrrland!!!

5. martin

martin New Member

I like England in this one. I think Portugal will struggle without Deco. Boa might actually get a run out considering all their suspensions and injuries. The way cards are flying in this WC, Boa could see red without seeing any pitch time.

6. pettyfog

England should have won... had EVERY fickle finger of fate chance and still blew it.

Carrigher?

Lampard up first?!!!!!!!!!!!
    Is it Sven the idiot or McClaren?

Fire the guy before he even manages one!!!!!!

7. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Why does it have to be one or the other, Pettyfog?

8. pettyfog

Guess it doesnt... but I have the feeling that was why McClaren looked worried when they were looking at the list.

With lampard apparently having been snake-bit on pens.

9. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Re: RE: England V. Portugal [R]

He was a little more than snake-bit on pens, he was snake-bit all tournament. I have never seen such a player of that standard miss so many opportunities in so many games.

Let's hope Chelsea adopt Red and White as their team colors.
    :D

10. martin

martin New Member

Re: RE: England V. Portugal [R]

I couldn't agree more. Lampard missed so many chances, it was unbelievable. At least one in every match. He had 20+ shots and no goals for the tournament.

I think Cristiano Ronaldo may get his wish and go to Spain. I'd stay out of England if I were him.

11. pettyfog

RE: Re: RE: England V. Portugal [R]

Well, the point is... what idiot manager would have him up first in the PK's?

12. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

Lampard was underperforming the entire tournament and I would put money on the fact that he missed more chances than anyone in the World Cup. I then wonder why Sven kept playing him. He obviously wasn't doing anything on the field to warrant his playing time.

Wayne Rooney?!(Shrek)! All of that hype and nothing came of it, other than some hard work and a stupid, stupid, stupid red card. Someone who is payed that much and have so many fans behind him, should know better. He's still a 'boy'. Shameful.

Ronaldo, he pleaded with the ref to have Rooney (Shrek) thrown which I will admit is Shreks fault to begin with. Then, you have Ronaldo diving and taunting...not a smart move when you play for MANCHESTER! I've always hated this guy...

On to Petty's point and the PK's. In my experience, I have come up with the theory that the best/most reliable player should be taking that first one. Lampard didn't fit that description now did he?!

13. ClevelandSimon

ClevelandSimon Member

I made the same comment on Lampard on the Exile board. I don't care how good you may supposedly be, if you can't find the net after 50 tries, or just 10, bench him, and the rest of the team. Very disapointing performance the whole cup, didn't see anything that showed me how good they were suppose to be. If they had squeaked through on penalties, then France would probably have demolished them the way they played. In Cleveland we are use to saying "..Next year!". At least qualifying for Euro 2008 and the next World Cup aren't too far off!!!!

14. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

On the note of England-Portugal, I must comment that Alexi Lalas is a complete fool. What this guy was doing in the studio and why ESPN has him on SportsCenter is beyond me. I do not like to say much about the soccer media in a negative light, but calling Rooney a "thug" is a bit of a stretch.

Yes, Rooney has a temper but does that make him a thug? I do not think so. Lalas thinks he has all the answers to all of the soccers questions.

Yet another reason to hate the LA Galaxy. Piss off Alexi!

15. pettyfog

Yeah, I wonder where Waldo was on that segment.

Maybe he's tired of spending time with the idiots.

And I have YET to see any of those who formerly criticized Wynalda's in game commentary, complain about his desk-work.

16. keithinspain

keithinspain New Member

The trouble is,Lampard and Gerrard are,according to the media and fans back in England,"World Class".No way,they are ordinary premier league players.Every world cup is the same,so much hype and hope.England have two Quality players.Joe Cole and Owen Hargreaves.