Cultural Appropriation

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by HatterDon, Feb 23, 2020.

1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I watched the Man U v. Dirty Yellow match this morning [Sunday], and was disturbed when I heard -- repeatedly and throughout the first half -- the Watford crowd doing their own version of "Take Me Home, al Fayed." And, yes, I know WE stole it from John Denver, but we're pure, and they're --you know -- Dirty Yellows. [Don't worry; it's a Hatter thang].

Anyhow, I didn't hear it once when United put three past them in the second half.

Damn them Dirty Yellows.

2. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

Which begs another question: Why does everybody think they can appropriate "When The Saints Go Marching In" when, in fact, only Southampton can legitimately lay claim to the actual lyrics to the actual tune? Don, I think you need to remind us of the "Dirty Yellows" origin.
    Please.

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Watford has always been Luton Town's Chelsea, QPR, and Brentford all rolled up in one.
    The Dirty Yellows comes from a half-animated Brit movie a half century ago where the teams were the "True Blues" and the "Dirty Yellows."

4. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Good stuff HD! Personally, have a soft spot for Watford due to Jay DeMerit’s Cinderella rise from the bottom of English football to the Prem and the Nats.

encorespanish, HatterDon and MicahMan like this.
  5. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

I also have a soft spot for Watford, and Deeney in particular, because of the most exciting finish I've ever seen in football. And when I went to get this clip I realized OMG!!! THE DOUBLE MISS WAS BY ANTHONY F****** KNOCKAERT!!!! I had forgotten that entirely.

encorespanish and SoCalJoe like this.